Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2010 9:01am

Style: ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Singapore Meet-up Spar (AznRaven & Whathappened)

Well, over the forum we decided to meet-up to spar from a PM I got from Whathappened asking me if I was down for it.

It was more or less Alex's post on his spar video that got Whathappened to want to do it in the first place although we did talk about a sparring session before that.

I agreed and asked Whathappened to come down to my Dojo after class on Sunday.

Okay our background (from what I know)

Whathappened: Base is Wing Chun, did Ashihara a while back...

AznRaven: Base is Shitoryu, doing Kyokushin/Shitoryu/Judo now...just started Judo

Liuzg from the forum was also there to watch the spar and was the cameraman for the 1st fight.

YouTube- Bullshido Meetup ( AznRaven and WhatHappened)

The guy in the black shirt is me, I outweigh Whathappened around 70 pounds (I think? could never deal with the kg-pound thing)

It was fought under kyoukushin rules but with the weight advantage I didn't want to bang with him so I played speed/technique with kicks point-sparring style (pulled back tapping, thus the hopping stance but I returned to kyokushin stance when he came in). We decided to go light on the hits.

(Btw, My hand failing around like a monkey is a habit from point-sparring and because I bait to counter)

YouTube- Bullshido Meetup ( AznRaven's friend and WhatHappened)

This was fought under kyokushin rules + clinching (Whathappen requested change and my friend agreed)

Whathappened wanted to fight with face punches but my friend did not want to.

My friend was in the Dojo after our shito-ryu practice and I asked him to do a light spar with Whathappened too. HE has been doing MT for about half a year. Nasty groin kick at the end, but everything was in good will.

Okay I'm done typing, posted everything as accurately as I can, I'm sure Whathappened will corect me if I missed out on anything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2010 9:09am

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God I suck.
    Poor in-step (i.e. I couldn't catch Aznraven), poor combos, poor setup for said combos, poor weight-transfer, lack of practice/conditioning of the left side.

Wouldn't matter if I did MT or KK, though I probably would be in better shape if I did.

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    1/17/2010 9:20am

Style: fumoffu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aznraven View Post
    Liuzg from the forum was also there to watch the spar and was the cameraman for the 1st fight.
    Thx for the vid post.:angel8:
    Anyway there was a bit of miscommunication, as I was supposed to bring a camcorder along as well as being a cameramen, anyway we decide to make do with a handphone with videocam embedded.

At first, I declined sparring as I had just recovered from illness that day(dont want to risk getting ill again) and only had one or two time experiences after stopping martial art for years. After that I suggested doing technical sparring,which is to say light/medium sparring, but somehow WhatHappened declined,though I think it might be bad phrasing on my part.

Basically accident inevitably took place, moreover aznraven's pals had decided it was time to leave the dojo, so we left and bid each other farewell thereafter. Though the 'chi sao' which WhatHappened had shown me seems interesting, hopefully I can get the chance to spar with him next time he have a more proper ThrowDown.
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
    - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    1/17/2010 9:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whathappened View Post
    God I suck.
    Poor in-step (i.e. I couldn't catch Aznraven), poor combos, poor setup for said combos, poor weight-transfer, lack of practice/conditioning of the left side.

Wouldn't matter if I did MT or KK, though I probably would be in better shape if I did.
    Good try btw.
    Just a side note, the second guy IMO has excellent spatial judgment, he could do minute adjustments to the distance according to opponent's movement.....It is quite like the Machida brothers,who are renowned for this along with counter-attacks, so I guess it might be one benefit of point-sparring.
    Not to say Aznraven isnt good at spatial judgment and distancing, but I had damaged my spectacles then(hence my close proximity when filming) and was busy with the vid, so couldnt look very well for the 1st one.
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2010 9:41am

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by liuzg150181 View Post
    At first, I declined sparring as I had just recovered from illness that day(dont want to risk getting ill again) and only had one or two time experiences after stopping martial art for years. After that I suggested doing technical sparring,which is to say light/medium sparring, but somehow WhatHappened declined,though I think it might be bad phrasing on my part.
    That's what you meant? I'm sorry, the way Aznraven presented it, it looked like tap sparring. I turned it down for the simple reason, that the recoil of soild blows usually disrupt one's balance.

Aznraven is fast. I should be faster, but I'm not, needs more homework. :owneddanc

Thank you both for allowing me to demonstrate (quite poorly) Wing Chun in action. /salute

May there be a next time. :)

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    1/17/2010 9:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what you meant? I'm sorry, the way Aznraven presented it, it looked like tap sparring. I turned it down for the simple reason, that the recoil of soild blows usually disrupt one's balance.
    To me -
    tap sparring - touching game
    light to medium sparring- landing solid blows,but not 100%, to me around 30%~60%

I think I spoke to you personally abt it to you and you declined(something like 'nah') so I think it was me who miscommunicated......
    Aznraven is fast. I should be faster, but I'm not, needs more homework. :owneddanc
    Dont underestimate the speed of someone his size,lol~~~
    Thank you both for allowing me to demonstrate (quite poorly) Wing Chun in action. /salute

May there be a next time. :)
    Once we can organize a proper ThrowDown we shall meet again, or informal meeting perhaps.:wbaba2

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2010 11:09am

Style: Kendo, Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wearing a cup when sparring is always a good idea, kids.

Otherwise, good show. Makes me wish there was another six foot tall fatass Bully in Tucson to spar with in order to post my own video.

Posted On:
    1/17/2010 11:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you mean?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/17/2010 11:16am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is trying to justify his current training.

Yes, it would. I'm glad you guys sparred. Remember I have read your posts. Sparring doesn't stay with you forever. Your skills do erode the less you do. MT and KK would have you sparring on a regular basis.

Yes, a regular basis makes a difference.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2010 11:37am

Style: ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EHHH FATASS???

Hopefully going into the army soon will help with that lol, I do a lot of cardio at Shito-ryu, just that I eat 2 big meals after :P

Anyone gonna comment on the spars?
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast