Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 7:50am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ Instructional Videos

*I apologize if this is not an ok question for this sub-forum. I put it in this forum because my question relates to the usefulness of a video series at the blue belt level. Please feel free to call me a douche and move it if that is the case.

I've been a Blue Belt for 2 years or so now and have never owned an instructional bjj video. I get incredible instruction from my teachers and am lucky enough to get to roll at least 3 times a week.

That being said, I do have a nice collection of bjj instructional books that have aided me in making real improvements in my game. Of all the books I've read, none come close to comparing to Saulo's Jiu Jitsu University book with regards to providing me with new ideas and technical details which I can immediately start working on.

Because of my enjoyment of that book (and how much I like the Saulo videos I've seen online), I'm considering purchasing Saulo's Jiu Jitsu Revolution vol. 1 series.

Can anyone give me their opinion of this series? Am I likely to find it as useful as I've found his book?

Am I just a naive blue belt to think that I can benefit from watching bjj instructional videos?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 9:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Because of my enjoyment of that book (and how much I like the Saulo videos I've seen online), I'm considering purchasing Saulo's Jiu Jitsu Revolution vol. 1 series.

Can anyone give me their opinion of this series? Am I likely to find it as useful as I've found his book?
    I have Saulo's JJ Revolution series 1 & 2 and these are, imo, a must.

Demian Maia's Science of Jiu Jitsu series are also very good.
    Last edited by DCS; 2/27/2010 10:05am at .

Posted On:
    3/01/2010 1:48am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a copy of Saulo's Jiu Jitsu Revolution. 6 separate sessions - Mount, Cross Body, Back, Guard, Half Guard, Passing the Guard.

IMO they are a solid set of tapes. Good fundamentals and he teaches techniques from a perspective of using them in competition. I've found the vast majority of his techniques work in class too rolling. And that's rare.

That set is in my top 3. The other 2 are Carlos Machado's and Braulio Estima's for the gi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2010 7:00am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saulo's videos are awesome. He's very good at showing the concepts behind the techniques themselves so you can better understand how they work.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    3/01/2010 12:36pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post

I've got a long review of it here. The short version:

Saulo's first set is fantastic. He is meticulously detailed, taking a concept-heavy approach to all the major positions in BJJ. Multiple angles and methodical progression mean these DVDs are perfect for refining your understanding of the sport, with an entire game laid out over the course of six hours.

I'd say this is a good option for relatively new blue belts, though I say that as a relatively new blue belt myself (I got promoted in Feb 2008).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2010 1:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks all for the feedback!

Great link Slideyfoot! Thanks for the detailed review!