Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 2:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WTF Sparring training help

So today we had our first newly created "sparring training", which is a group of TKD players from our ATA club that want to have training that is focused on sparring, mainly WTF as that's where basically everyone wants to/can compete. Unfortunately we only have 1 hour. Anyway.

Our training first started with some light jogging, shadowboxing and zig-zag running. Then we did some dashes and finally a few laps just running as fast as we could. Some stretching, and then we did trained in pairs where we'd round kick each other simultaneously as fast as we could with alternating legs. After we did that for a while we were divided in different spots where you did different things. I began with some rope skipping, and then I did it again. Then I did some evade & counter drills. Then I did a lot of do-as-many-round-kicks-as-fast-as-you-can. Then I switched to be the target. Rinse and repeat. Finally we did another drill where you avoid round kicks by doing a spinning side kick/back kick.

This was the first session so I didn't expect too much from it. Our "coach" said it would get a little tougher from now on. I suggested trying to fit in a few minutes of actual sparring every session, in order to let people regularly experience sparring.

What are your thoughts on this training session? What kinds of exercises and drills can you do to get efficient training that benefits sparring? Primarily WTF sparring. All sound thoughts are welcome!

PS: The youngest TKD player in this group is 10 years old. The oldest would be me at 20.

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 2:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallon View Post
    So today we had our first newly created "sparring training", which is a group of TKD players from our ATA club that want to have training that is focused on sparring, mainly WTF as that's where basically everyone wants to/can compete. Unfortunately we only have 1 hour. Anyway.

Our training first started with some light jogging, shadowboxing and zig-zag running. Then we did some dashes and finally a few laps just running as fast as we could. Some stretching, and then we did trained in pairs where we'd round kick each other simultaneously as fast as we could with alternating legs. After we did that for a while we were divided in different spots where you did different things. I began with some rope skipping, and then I did it again. Then I did some evade & counter drills. Then I did a lot of do-as-many-round-kicks-as-fast-as-you-can. Then I switched to be the target. Rinse and repeat. Finally we did another drill where you avoid round kicks by doing a spinning side kick/back kick.

This was the first session so I didn't expect too much from it. Our "coach" said it would get a little tougher from now on. I suggested trying to fit in a few minutes of actual sparring every session, in order to let people regularly experience sparring.

What are your thoughts on this training session? What kinds of exercises and drills can you do to get efficient training that benefits sparring? Primarily WTF sparring. All sound thoughts are welcome!

PS: The youngest TKD player in this group is 10 years old. The oldest would be me at 20.

You are too old to be training with ten year olds. Find an adult class. It sounds like you really want to spar and compete, it's much easier to find another venue that's already doing what you want to do sometimes than it is to convince your current school to change. If WTF TKD is what you are interested in I'd say to look around for a school near you that's already competing. A better bet would be to see if there's a Muay Thai school near you, you probably be happier there. Good luck.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 3:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    You are too old to be training with ten year olds. Find an adult class. It sounds like you really want to spar and compete, it's much easier to find another venue that's already doing what you want to do sometimes than it is to convince your current school to change. If WTF TKD is what you are interested in I'd say to look around for a school near you that's already competing. A better bet would be to see if there's a Muay Thai school near you, you probably be happier there. Good luck.
    Don't worry, there are people my age/height/weight that I can train with, I just pointed the age difference out so that you could maybe suggest something that suits the minors (though preferably junior/senior advice would be nice). I think half of us are under 14, and the rest are above 14. My main sparring partner will most likely be a junior (he's 15 I think) but he has about 20 pounds on me, about the same height and is, just like me, very interested in martial arts (he's going to pick up BJJ this summer and in a few years wants to try on MMA).

This is just a fun thing on the side. I've just picked up Muay Thai which I'll be mainly focusing on. My efforts in my TKD club will basically be being an instructor, attend 1 session a week for traditional training and 1 session a week for WTF sparring.

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 3:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 3:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That looks like fun. Especially the first vid. I like it, keep it coming!

Btw, I was anti-hogu today because I prefer to get kicked without one, since it's going to happen with the Muay Thai sooner or later. Maybe I should start wearing one though? I've attended a WTF class before so I know they do make thinga a tad more demanding.

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 3:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallon View Post
    Btw, I was anti-hogu today because I prefer to get kicked without one, since it's going to happen with the Muay Thai sooner or later.Maybe I should start wearing one though?
    You need to get used to it. Until it feels like you're wearing a t-shirt.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 4:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    You need to get used to it. Until it feels like you're wearing a t-shirt.
    Ah, crud... Oh well. Ya gotta do whatchu gotta do.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 5:08pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leave your ATA school.

Find a State-level competition rated Kukki Taekwondo school.

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 8:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are right that you need more sparring. Search for a WTF school, with black belts you know are competing on nationals and focusing on Olympic Sparring.
    The problem is that on those school you have classes for the regular people and classes for the good ones, so you will have to work hard to attend the Olympic training classes.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 8:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no incentive (nor desire) to continue Taekwondo training beyond this year, so I won't be leaving my current school and join another WTF school. The competitions I'm talking about are also relatively local, even if other schools and clubs from Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Poland, Germany etc. also find their way to these competitions. I was asking about what drills and what method of training would be most beneficial to WTF sparring competition.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast