• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 12:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do YOU really think it's that simple when the person kneebarring you is a world-class black belt?

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 12:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't wait to see Lesnar back in the mix. Hope he is at 100% for his next fight. Is Carwin still fighting someone else first?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 1:22pm

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^^ reply to mmaoverload ^^^^^ Yes.

Because Lesnar was out of action, the UFC created an interim heavyweight belt which will go to the winner of Frank Mir vs. Shane Carwin (UFC 111). Presumably, Brock will fight the winner of this bout in the summer.

Should also mention two top contenders for HW meet at UFC 110 Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Cain Velasquez (UFC 110). I'd love to see Big Nog vs. Brock in the summer (assuming Big Nog wins at 110 and Brock does return), but would imagine the priority would be to unify the real and interim belts. - this would be Carwin vs. Lesnar (as was supposed to be in 106) or Mir vs. Lesnar (Part III).

Read articles mmajunkie dot com if you want to get updated quickly. Enjoyable and entertaining sites.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 2:07pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Do YOU really think it's that simple when the person kneebarring you is a world-class black belt?
    Nope - not simple. But a professional fighter should have SOME idea what to do. Lesnar didn't.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 3:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Modified Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Diverticulitis....my wife had diverticulitis. Antibiotics. And eating right. Cleared it up pretty quickly. When isay eating right I mean they told her no seeds, or anything small that can get stuck in the infection pocket in your intestine. For it to get severe ole Brock had to have been ignoring some Dr orders. And to be severe enough to be discussing surgery.... damn, that's bad. Other than his attitude, why is everyone hating on Brock? Just because he worked in WWE for a while? ****, so did Shamrock, and Severn, yet they still get respect. I'm not a Lesnar fan by a longshot, but the guy has proved that he's a legit force to be rekoned with. And he's still young. Hmmmm.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 3:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's a dick. Then again I like the Diaz bros and they're notorious a-holes too. I don't know precisely what it is about Lesnar that I hate, I just do.

Nothing to do with WWE though. Or even the fact that he got a title shot so fast. It's just HIM. He reminds me of the big dumb jocks that I always hated/feared/envied.

Posted On:
    1/27/2010 4:58pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mir always seems to have been underrated, in spite of him quite obviously being a very skilled fighter.
    It's not his skills that I question, it's how he applies them. Forty seconds into the second fight, he goes for the kneebar again without even setting it up. Lesnar splatters him down on the mat, Mir gets Lesnar in lockdown, and proceeds to do nothing with it while Lesnar stifles him and lands short punches for the next four minutes. And Mir just gets up at the end of the round laughing and smiling, like everything's going according to plan, and that stupid pro-wrestling reject will make another dumb mistake anytime now, and seemingly blissfully unaware of the fact that his face looks like it was shoved up against a cheese grater. Round two starts, he throws some cursory strikes, gets taken down again, and goes right back to the same half guard that was so ineffective in the last round, and we all know what happens after that.

I don't care how brilliant your bottom game is. If it's at all possible, you just don't want someone that huge and that strong on top of you. Lesnar might not be a BJJ black belt world champion, but he's good enough to get an opponent down and get in a good position, and from there the size and weight takes care of the rest. Like I said, it's not his skills, it's his poor gameplan and apparent lack of ability to recognize when he's losing a fight and needs to change something up. He just doesn't seem to know what to do when his plan isn't working except to keep trying it, or to lay there and get pounded.

Obviously you've got to have confidence in your skills, especially when a freak like Lesnar is on the other side of the cage, but Mir seems to live in a world where banging your head against a wall for long enough will break the wall with no damage to your head.
    Last edited by Neo Sigma; 1/27/2010 5:02pm at .

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    1/28/2010 11:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    It's not his skills that I question, it's how he applies them. Forty seconds into the second fight, he goes for the kneebar again without even setting it up. Lesnar splatters him down on the mat, Mir gets Lesnar in lockdown, and proceeds to do nothing with it while Lesnar stifles him and lands short punches for the next four minutes. And Mir just gets up at the end of the round laughing and smiling, like everything's going according to plan, and that stupid pro-wrestling reject will make another dumb mistake anytime now, and seemingly blissfully unaware of the fact that his face looks like it was shoved up against a cheese grater. Round two starts, he throws some cursory strikes, gets taken down again, and goes right back to the same half guard that was so ineffective in the last round, and we all know what happens after that.

I don't care how brilliant your bottom game is. If it's at all possible, you just don't want someone that huge and that strong on top of you. Lesnar might not be a BJJ black belt world champion, but he's good enough to get an opponent down and get in a good position, and from there the size and weight takes care of the rest. Like I said, it's not his skills, it's his poor gameplan and apparent lack of ability to recognize when he's losing a fight and needs to change something up. He just doesn't seem to know what to do when his plan isn't working except to keep trying it, or to lay there and get pounded.

Obviously you've got to have confidence in your skills, especially when a freak like Lesnar is on the other side of the cage, but Mir seems to live in a world where banging your head against a wall for long enough will break the wall with no damage to your head.
    I agree with you most of the way, except, in my opinion, your ability to recognize when your moves aren't working and change position is a fundamental skill in BJJ. So what if I can do a kneebar to a dummy standing there with his leg out? It's application in a large range of scenarios that makes you a skilled BJJ guy, not your ability to do moves A, B, and C. Mir is not a top level BJJ black belt in my eyes, he is just a very large one. When faced with an opponent who knows a fair amount of ground, and is larger/more brutish than he, his ground game falls apart. By definition, that's bad Jiu-Jitsu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    1/28/2010 12:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    Mir is not a top level BJJ black belt in my eyes, he is just a very large one. When faced with an opponent who knows a fair amount of ground, and is larger/more brutish than he, his ground game falls apart. By definition, that's bad Jiu-Jitsu.
    Excellent point. I still wish he'd break Lesnar's ankle in their eventual rubber match.

Did Mir compete much in BJJ? I can't find any official record, just a grappler's quest video of him and Roy Nelson.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    1/28/2010 1:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No idea, which is why I didn't say "WHERE'S HIS GRAPPLING COMP RECORD!?!?" Also, good BJJ in BJJ tourney's doesn't necessarily mean you can do good BJJ in an MMA match (see: Marcelo Garcia).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast