Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 9:42pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say Dos Santos is one more brutal knockout away from being considered a serious title contender. However, we still haven't seen him deal with a bigger heavyweight grappler, and considering that's pretty much everyone at the top of the division, I can't really get excited about his title chances just yet. He clobbered Werdum easily enough, but guys like Mir, Carwin, and Lesnar all have him by 30 pounds or more.

He smashed Nog
    Who had just gotten out of the hospital from a serious staph infection. He was obviously still zapped from staph in the fight against Mir, especially if you consider his performance against Couture afterwards.
    Last edited by Neo Sigma; 1/13/2010 9:48pm at .

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 10:10pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agree'd, noted and is fact. But he still smashed him man. Personally if I were Nog I would have pulled out of that fight, but Nog has more heart then ... something that has lots of heart.

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 12:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ex-BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    Agree'd, noted and is fact. But he still smashed him man. Personally if I were Nog I would have pulled out of that fight, but Nog has more heart then ... something that has lots of heart.
    Rey Mysterio JR...?

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 8:40am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    I'd say Dos Santos is one more brutal knockout away from being considered a serious title contender. However, we still haven't seen him deal with a bigger heavyweight grappler, and considering that's pretty much everyone at the top of the division, I can't really get excited about his title chances just yet.
    You get your wish. His next opponent is Gabriel Gonzaga.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 9:25am

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why isn't Todd Duffe being mentioned in all of the HW talk?

Yeah he is a relative newcomer but I'd like to see him mix it up with the top contenders to see where he breaks out.

If the talk about Lesnar is true, then there shouldn't be an interiem belt. Carwin is top of the list for the title shot period.

After that match up, maybe give Mir another shot at it against whoever has the title and if he misses his chance then he goes to the back of the line.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 10:12am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Relative newcomer? Duffee's only had one fight so far in the UFC. He's got a while to go before being anywhere near the title picture.

Oh, and what list? It's obvious Carwin is no longer the clear #1 contender after Mir's performance. He wasn't even going to get a title shot anyway until his fight against Velasquez was canceled anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 10:37pm

Style: CSW BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greg Nelson explains a little more about the Brock Lesnar situation.
    MMA Live: 1-14-10 - ESPN Video - ESPN

Upon further review, this information might be a bit dated, since Randy said he spoke with Brock a little before Christmas, which was about a month ago now.
    I haven't seen him in the gym, but he might be training at home.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 10:56pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by edtang View Post
    Relative newcomer? Duffee's only had one fight so far in the UFC. He's got a while to go before being anywhere near the title picture.

Oh, and what list? It's obvious Carwin is no longer the clear #1 contender after Mir's performance. He wasn't even going to get a title shot anyway until his fight against Velasquez was canceled anyway.
    Agreed about Duffee, too new. I'd like to see him thrown in with say Heath Herring, or even Gonzaga.

I disagree about Carwin, in my mind he is the #1 contender; who else is is near the top? And while Mir looked good against Congo; he lost the rematch so he doesn't deserve another shot at the title so soon.

It should be Nog, Dos Santos, or Velasquez after Carwin.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2010 2:05am

supporting member
     Style: Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When setting up an interim belt, why is it difficult to imagine picking Mir? He was the guy Brock beat to unify the belts, he holds a prior win over Brock, and just posted a dominating win over a solid opponent.

Carwin was already placed as #1 contender, so he is the obvious choice for the other half of the interim match. Who else is there?

Velasquez?
    Scratched out a decision against the same Cup Check-o who Mir destroyed, and tko'd a midcarder in Rothwell. Not even close imo.

Nog?
    Beating Randy in a great match is nice, but even if his fans diminish Mir's win over him, you can't reward Nog for the loss to Mir. He's still a win away.

JDS?
    Most impressive win is the knockout of Werdum, who was the defacto #1 contender. Since then, he's beat a prospect in Struve, an unimpressive Cro Cop, and Yvel. Other than Werdum, none of his opponents have been remotely near title contention. Like Nog, I see him being one quality win away.

Brock has no concrete return date as of yet, and the UFC needs active belts. I don't see the need to put Mir/Carwin on the same card as GSP/Hardy when there's been such a title drought, but there is zero cause to complain about an interim belt at this point.

I hope Brock is back in the gym already, but there is a tremendous gap between training, and being in fighting shape.

('._.)

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 11:44am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brock is getting healthy and will return this summer. This was announced on an ESPN press conference today.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast