Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 12:12pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSnuffalupagus View Post
    My plan is to keep training as prudently as I can; I donít fear pain, but I do fear having to have another 8 months off from hard physical training through injury.
    Yeah, that's my dealio too. I don't mind getting the knocks; obviously you expect some **** to happen, it's a "contact sport". But losing weeks/months of training with a nagging injury sucks and makes you wanna jack it all in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 8:34am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Iím 37 and have been doing MA on and off since I was about 6 years old.
    Started with Judo but ďhey they donít kick like Bruce LeeĒ so I left and did 4 years of Karate.
    Then I found Girls and Beer and did nothing until I read that Bruce Lee did Wing Chun so guess what, I did Wing Chun for 4 years (good school though, Kamon under Kevin Chan)
    Again I wanted to kick like Bruce Lee so I left and did Freestyle which was very basically a JKD rip off. Did that for 6-7 years and ending up teaching. At some point in my JKD training I must have watched UFC 1 as I then started to look for BJJ clubs which were very rare in the UK back then.
    Anyway I quit all training until 6 years ago I started doing Judo again which I loved but a nasty fall saw me tear my Pec Major and Pec Minor which put me out for a year.
    Went back to Judo and 1 month in damaged my rotator cuff so I quit and have done nothing other than hit some pads for the last 4-5 years.

My shoulder has never been right since and get various aches and pain in my back but I do work out 5-6 times a week, which includes lifting weights and I run 5 miles twice a week.
    I would love to start BJJ or Judo but am worried that I might get injured badly again and then not be able to do anything at all.
    I assume BJJ would be easier on the body because of the lack of throws but maybe someone in here can point me in the right direction

Cheers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 11:24am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am now 42 years old and have been training in jiu jitsu for about two years. I am enjoying it very much.

I am very thankful that I have no signficant medical issues, lingering injuries or even any minor aches and pains that interfere with training or daily life. I wouldn't say I am particularily athletic, but am making efforts to maintain a healthy lifestyle (bit of casual swimming, skating, walking with GF and kids; lifting weights and other exercise at home with GF, martial arts) to keep my health up as best as it can be to enjoy life and instill the same healthy lifestyle habits in the kids.

I had a very long break from martial arts, as I did kyokushinkai karate for about two years while I was in university, and then picked up jui jitsu again about 20 years later. I intend to keep it up as long as the money and body can hold out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 11:49am

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonDingDong View Post
    Another problem with booze of course, is that after even one glass of wine I immediately crave snacks. Especially ones with cheese, fat and salt.

It's a never-ending balancing act, this growing old crap. I want to be super-fit and double-hard, but I just don't know if I'd really be enjoying life if I was. At the moment, I'm just on the wrong side of fit-ish, but I also know I'd be miserable if I was an ascetic with a thousand dietary restrictions.

Whaddaya gonna do?
    I've found the way to deal with this is to have a selection of fruits and vegetables (in my case usually pickled vegetables, grapes and/or clementines) to go along with your fats and salts. I've got about the shittiest genes in the world for cholesterol and no longer have such a great metabolism, but I've found this allows me to partake of my favorite fats and salts (Humboldt fog, landjaeger, brescaola) without fucking up my body.

And frankly, a little wine a day can be good for you.

And since I'm posting here, I'm 36, 37 next month. Been out of training for about a year now (had done about 2 years of arnis with a smattering of MT) and planning on enrolling at Ronin as soon as my next paycheck clears. My cardio is **** and I've gotten a bit of a gut during my time off, but I'm looking to get back on the wagon. Haven't noticed that I get injured any more easily, just that I don't have the energy that I did 20 years ago.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    ...I assume BJJ would be easier on the body because of the lack of throws but maybe someone in here can point me in the right direction
    Cheers
    A friendly BJJ gym under a sane instructor (i.e. practically any legit BJJ place ;-) ) can ensure you can work out within your reasonable limits.

Just make sure you let the instructor and your training partners clearly know of your injuries/problems and do not try to work over pain unnecessarily - to put it short: train hard but safe.

Good luck in finding the right place to train (be sure to check out the School review section of Bullshido, if you haven't done so yet).

Also, please, don't change the text format, it's nicer to read as it is. Thanks.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 9:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, bjj, jjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post

Went back to Judo and 1 month in damaged my rotator cuff ...

My shoulder has never been right since and get various aches and pain in my back
    This is why I'm hesitating about switching from Aiki Ju-Jutsu to Judo. I'm scared of getting thrown and, through my own clumsiness and decreasing flexibility, injuring my shoulder and having to cease all training for months again. Considering my last 2 serious injuries have come from Aiki Ju-Jutsu, and it's not supposed to be as tough as Judo, it seems like a valid concern. I'll eventually "man up" sometime in the next couple of months, but being out of training through injury in frustrating as ****. :-)

Just read this thread:

Second day of Judo and i am out. - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Now I feel like a complete *****. :-(

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 12:28am

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 46 and I switched to judo 'cus I could get the kid going to the same club on the same day of the week. So I do the kids class followed by the adult class.

The main difference that I notice is that when I do neck rotations it sounds like I'm making popcorn.

and, @ BaronVDD, I learned this waaaay tooo late in life. To avoid the hangovers, cut out the wine, forget the beer, shun the mix. Drink pure spirits. It's the sugars and impurities that do it to you.

Edit, I can't type worth crap after a couple of shots of scotch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 4:44am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba View Post
    A
    Also, please, don't change the text format, it's nicer to read as it is. Thanks.
    I copy and paste from outlook

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 11:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: nejad-tai nui

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 52 been doing martial arts since 1990, took up boxing several years ago, you keep going , just get out of shape quicker and harder to get back in shape. I am embarrased to even try a sweep in public, my kicks don't get as high, and I get winded quicker. I box with a guy who's training a boxer, and teaches martial arts, he's 8 years older and still very good. so there's no age where you feel you should quit. a guy in my dojo's got 5 years on me and still does knuckle pushups without problems.
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 11:47am

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Turn 41 Sunday. Just getting back to some training after a long break. Feels good. Other dudes at the gym in their 40s, 50s are going hard, boxing and banging. And why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast