Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 8:40am

Style: Jerry-Bashing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The short version is that I've carried an injury throughout my adult life and just work round it. It'll be there regardless of whether I train or not, and I like training, so I might as well train. For the long version, read on... (warning, is long.)

I'll be 41 in a month, and only took up combat sports two years ago. A million years before that I was a college soccer player, but had a bad ACL tear that the British National Health system refused to fix because they said that I didn't play sports at a sufficiently high level. As a result, my knee would occasionally pop out, over the years shearing off much of the cartilege and miniscus with it, eventually producing arthritis in the joint. There is never a time that it doesn't ache. Somehow, though I have no idea how, I also managed to pick up a hernia just above my pubic bone during this period. I went to see the doctor about it, and he said "just try not to strain too much" and laughed!

This put me off all sport for years, as I couldn't confidently balance or turn on my right leg with thinking it was going to give way. For exercise throughout my mid-20s, I did yoga and Tai Chi forms, and was lucky to have really great teachers in both of those.

Then I came to work in the US and the first thing I did with my new health insurance was get my knee fixed by a sport surgeon. Next came kids, and trying to impress at my new job and suddenly I was 37-38 with a big gut and the largest pants I'd ever owned.

Something needed to be done, so I signed up at a Kung-Fu school. The school had a great mentality, and gave a really serious work-out that absolutely kicked my ass, but ultimately it wasn't for me. Next I joined the boxing club, which was just fantastic. Loads of full contact sparring from the beginning and hard training. Lost loads of weight and my cardio really improved. I even started running. However, it was a college club, and trying to keep up with the kids half my age - the smallest of whom looked like Shane Mosley, and the biggest like Lennox - was just too much and I started to accumulate injuries. First my shoulder started to hurt, then my arm when numb, and now it's pretty certain that I've got the attractively-named bulging disc for which treatment is just getting underway. I haven't boxed at all since last Easter, and tried to fill the gap with Stronglifts, but that just made me want to eat like a horse and my aim is to be slim. I have also just started judo, though, and have my third class tonight. This may be another dead-end, but I have a hunch that with judo, I may have found my sport.

So my conclusion is, **** it, you can sit on your arse and moan, or you can find a way to work round it. Something's got to kill you so you might as well enjoy yourself. Fatuous conclusions aside, I also note that while my quick-twitch reflexes have slowed down enormously with age, my general stamina and cardio endurance seem to be improving - at least for now., I always hated long distance running, but don't even think about it now.

Thanks for listening - I obviously had something to get off my chest.

Silent Guardian

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredCreated Album pictures10000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 8:43am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL welcome to my world.

I think we all grow up after awhile and see the fading of the big red S on our chests coupled with the gray hairs popping up here and there and think its all over or soon to be. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The problem is that we have set so high of a goal for ourselves in MA that we think we are failing if we can not perform daily. One of the problems with being a goal driven person and getting older.

The physical can not be over come without medical help. Unless you want to get on HGH you will be dealing with soreness and age related fatigue. All I can say is get a good chiro or masseuse and a bulk bottle of ibuprofen. Learn to train more effectively. Currently I am being the grouchy old man and telling people to slow the **** down and drill drill drill. I spend a lot of time just doing repetitive drills. I spar MMA for a week then take off a week but I randori/roll virtually every day.

During the randori sessions if I am not feeling it I will just work out of bad spots and tap to just about anything. It makes the guys in the gym happy when they get one on me BUT it also shows them how to train. On the days I am feeling really frisky I tend to put it to them just as a reminder. I know that many of you are not instructors so they training should be easier for you since you just need to worry about yourselves.

I guess what I am trying to say is relax and take your time when it comes to training at our age. The fact of the matter is you will get more out of a slow steady pace then a race to the finish line, Aesop would be so proud of me.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 10:00am

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am 47 and am upping my fitness training some more this year, plus cross training with BJJ and Muay Thai guys.

Got my first grey hairs in my beard recently. Also have accepted I need reading glasses.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 10:25am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    41 in May

doing only bjj now (almost 2 years), 4x per week most weeks, and do some biking and swimming on the side. i used to spar mma-rules a coupla years back, and on some mornings i could barely move, so after the place shut down in 2006 i took a couple years off, training for triathlon instead, and then switched to bjj. motivating factors were soreness and injuries, yes, but at this age and with kids i figure getting hit in the head a lot just probably isn't the greatest idea anymore.

generally my cardio is good to very good, a remnant of the triathlon training. i breathe deeply while rolling, but don't get out of breath. mild soreness is a daily presence, but not enough to mind. sometimes i take ibuprofen.

occasionally i'll need to take a week off to let my hands recover. from about month 3 to month 7 or 8 my hands were so stiff and sore (relax noob!) that i'd have to soak them in very hot water in the morning. they'd ache all the way up to the elbows. nowadays if they start to stiffen up i'll just do classes and skip open mat afterward.

i definitely subscribe to the idea of picking your training partners carefully. there are several like-minded older guys at my school who like to work the slow and contemplative game, and i work with them most of the time. but every session i'll do at least a couple matches with younger guys who go harder, for the experience.

Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 1:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just turned 40, and have injuries going back to childhood that still nag, like that broken neck thing for example.
    Also injured both knees, left shoulder, right wrist/hand etc, etc...
    I think everybody summed it up pretty well, i tap early and often at BJJ and do yoga and eat much better now. Sleep plays a bigger role now than when i was younger.
    My CMA training has also taken a somewhat more health oriented track.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 3:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    46 next August and still on the mat. Age and treachery FTW!!!

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 4:27pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    43 in April and been training Judo for the last 2 and a half years.

Last year cardio was an issue so I lost some weight - 10kg or about 22 lbs and I am maintaining my new weight quite well, even after some gastronomic excesses over the holidays.

The weight loss has helped my cardio a huge amount - stamina is basically not an issue any more and I move around a lot quicker, I am having to adapt my style a bit as I don't feel as strong and of course I have a weaker base, but all for the best I think.

I am generally lucky with injuries except recently - I ripped my big toe nail off just before christmas and tonight I hurt my back and had to jack training in early for the first time in about a year. I was feeing fairly grumpy about my back but hearing about every one else's aches and pains in this thread has cheered me up!

I plan to go on training judo for the rest of my life, but work and family commitments mean I'll probably never do much else other than maybe, hopefully, train some BJJ as well if I can find the time slots, probably next year.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 4:36pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do any of y'all maintain a fitness/strength weight/cardio program in addition to your MA? If so, how is it different from your early 20's early 30s?

北斗十字固拳

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 38. All you old really fuckers are making me feel pretty young. So, far I've had nothing but minor injuries and God willing, that will continue. My shoulder clicks and I have 3 working toes, but I consider that minor. Truthfully, since I was not an athlete as a kid, I'm in the best shape of my love.

On the downside, I wasted so much time doing non contact TKD, and then kept having training interupted by new jobs, moving, having a family and life in general, that at 38 I still feel like a rank novice. At this point my goals are to medal in some tourney's and get my Judo Shodan before I get old for real. I think it's attainable.

Administrator

Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 7:24pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadUglyMagic View Post
    Do any of y'all maintain a fitness/strength weight/cardio program in addition to your MA? If so, how is it different from your early 20's early 30s?
    I do yoga right now, to rehab the muscle imbalances I have. I'm contemplating get back to a 10x10 next week and some HIIT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast