Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819 202122 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2010 7:32pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am 37 - I feel a hell of a lot stronger, fitter and faster than I did in my twenties - but then I didnt start training till I was 34. After a year of training Judo 5 times a week I beat the winnder of a black belt division after five fights. HE was half my age !
    I feel great (=;

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    7/03/2010 7:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just turned 36 (am I too young for this thread?). After a 14 year hiatus, I've been training for a little over 3 months, now, and I'm in the best shape of my life. I have an hour or more in the dojo 3-4 times a week, and off-days I'm doing pushups, situps, yoga, and mild weight training at home. Boot camp didn't get me this hard half my life ago. Then, again, it was Navy boot camp, so take that for what it's worth.

However, I never used to sweat when I was younger. Now, I'm like a portable rainstorm. Also, I overstretched my right adductor back in April, and that took over 6 weeks to get back to normal. That was about the worst injury I've suffered in my lucky life, but it seems like it shouldn't have taken so long.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2010 8:27pm

Style: BJJ ultra-noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    36 too. Barely trained at all last year due to injuries (broke my foot in January, that took a couple of months to heal), then in the early summer I broke my tailbone while bicycling -- still hurts when I sit too long. Then work is crazy, having 2 young kids doesn't give much recovery time.

And outside of a shoulder that likes to dislocate, a crushed disk in my back (from slipping on ice almost 20 years ago & acts up when I don't sleep well, which is most nights), and a partially torn tendon in my thigh (that took a while to heal)... Oh, and lingering arthritis from a bout of rhumatic fever as a child (no evidence of residual heart problems, but I'm way over due for a checkup, and that is a concern).

The years haven't been kind physically, and I haven't even hit 40 yet.

I've finally signed back up again for BJJ and MT and should be starting again next week. Looking forward to it. But I've got to be smarter, and not just rely on my stubbornness (I don't like kids half my age getting the better of me). I used to heal so quickly, but my injuries and my job last year kept me out of training which really really sucked. I don't want that to happen again -- I switched jobs earlier this year to reduce stress (my previous employer was constantly on the verge of bankruptcy so lets say constant stress about loosing my job, and being the sole income for my family was an issue).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2010 9:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At 39..I am probably stronger than I have ever been.But I also feel like I have slowed down a bit. I am weighing in at around 210-220 on average and hit the gym 2-3 times a week for weight training, (basically maintenance lifting at this point, I move up in weight maybe every three months or so) heavy bag work, swimming and try to get in some rowing machine and bike riding as well. I have not actively sparred for about two years now and I am sure that my timing and hand speed has suffered as a result.
    My injuries over the years were few, torn rib cartilidge from wrestling, fractured orbital bone,busted fingers, deep bone bruise in my left leg but nothing that really kept me out for more than a couple of months.
    I have tried hard to keep my back strong since I stopped actively training because I have to lug furniture all the time for our side business and a back injury is something I worry about because I have seen how much it can screw people up.That is one thing I would strongly advise other bullies who are 'gettin' up there'.Keep your back strong and watch yourself when you lift things.
    My nagging recurring injury is my left leg which gets wonky every time I do heavy lifting reps standing up or lug some heavy stones around in the yard..I have had a lot of problems with it over the years including deep vein thrombosis and it is the one thing that concerns me as I get older. I can see myself with a cane when I am an old man..I used to jog regularly when I boxed but my leg would not be able to take it now which is too bad because I wouldn't mind doing it again for cardio during the cooler months.
    I don't forsee myself returning to regular full contact sparring down the road, as much as I miss hitting people and getting hit.But I would still like to try judo if I could get hooked up with a good teacher.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2014 3:20pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, sorry for the necro but I had to do it. My father FINALLY tested for Shodan today. He's 75 now, and was in and out for the past few years from injuries, schedules, and life just generally getting in the way. It's been 30 years since the first time he ever stepped onto a dojo floor, but he never gave up - he's a stubborn old SOB. He says the thing that he's most proud of is that he got through the whole test without needing CPR once. So I never want to hear any of my students ever tell me they're too old, don't have time, or whatever. If that old codger can do it, so can you

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2014 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If we're going to necro this thread, it might be a good time to update as well.

When I first posted in this thread (in 2010) I wrote that I felt about as agile and flexible as I had when I was in my 20s, and noted that I'd had the luck of the devil in avoiding debilitating injuries. Flash-forward to 2014 and things aren't so rosy.

Several years ago I tore a muscle in my right calf (not training, just playing around with my nephews), which put me out of action way longer than it "should" have. Then I suffered a torn or badly-sprained muscle under my left shoulder blade while lifting weights, then tweaked something on the outside of my left knee rasslin' with a young buck on the mats. This winter I've somehow picked up an "issue" with the back of my right hip that makes almost any sustained upper-body effort - like, say, shoveling snow - a real trial.

The problem is, of course, that the more frailties I pick up and the longer I feel their effects, the riskier it seems to push hard in any activity. There's a definite sense of diminishing returns in risking another three months of limping around or being unable to lift anything much heavier than a loaf of bread, and there's no way of knowing whether the next injury may be permanent.

Posted On:
    2/08/2014 9:59pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    If we're going to necro this thread, it might be a good time to update as well.
    I'll be 48 next month. Just got back from the Canadian Dog Brothers Gathering, where I had knife, stick and staff fights.

There's a lot of hurty bits, but by the gods, do I feel good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2014 10:28am

Style: Grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm now 46 and still training in BJJ twice a week. I'd definitely go more if it weren't for the hectic home life. Fortunately I have no injuries or underlying health issues but I do walk around like the Frankenstein monster for about 10 minutes after getting out of bed in the morning until I loosen up.
    Last edited by andrewa; 2/09/2014 10:30am at . Reason: double post

Posted On:
    2/09/2014 3:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm so senile I can't even recall if I ever posted in this thread. I'm also too damned old and cranky to bother finding out if I ever did.

Umm...what was I going on about?

Oh, right.

Gosh-durned-near 52, and still trying to retire from tossing drunken li'l cocksuckers from one o' them so-called clubs o' theirs.

The fuckin' shite they listen to--and they can't even dance. You watch 'em hopping up an' down an' it looks exactly like chimps hoppin' up and down in a zoo. Ook-ook-ook, do spastic crap with yer fingers, ook-ook-ook, swing yer arms in an' out.

Will train for this stupid job until I find something I don't need to train for. Not much rank 'cause I've moved around from one MA to another lookin' for different useful tools for the job--only current rank a 3rd Dan in Karate. Don't count past ranks.

Time to go drown my arthritis in the nearest thing to cyanide I can find at the closest liquor store. Harrumph*wheeze*cough*cough...

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/09/2014 4:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i'm 38 and will be 39 in june. started hung fist boxing in 95 and racked up my share of injuries from it (torn meniscus, torn rotator cuff, fractured orbital, etc.) found out that i don't have the mentality for full contact ring fighting, and focused more on coaching. found that i was not getting enough shuai (throwing) in my kung fu, and that it was hurting my ability to coach sanda fighters, so i signed up for judo this last august (put aside all other training for the most part, and my teaching entirely.)

judo is great, and i have been learning really quickly. i should be competing soon, and have set the goal of at least shodan and a certified coach before getting back into coaching sanda.

the workouts are really hard on me, and i have to be careful and tap before injury during newaza, but i haven't had any injuries that really took me out (yet.) i have to deal with a lot of youthful aggression, as the guys my size in the dojo are young and full of energy, so i have to be crafty. the guys my age are twice my size and much craftier than me, so they throw me around and crush me with no problem.

recently started weight training with some of the guys from the dojo, hoping to improve my strength and endurance. we'll see how that goes, but it was long overdue.
    update: i'm a nikyu (2nd brown) and have been for almost 3 years i think. i get hurt a lot because i am old. also judo is hard.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj