Posted On:
    5/21/2010 4:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

intercostal injury

Quote Originally Posted by sausageking View Post
    Has anyone ever injured their intercostal rib muscles? I pulled one on my right side and it hurt like hell. Now, it is preventing me from doing any type of training. When I twist or sneeze it feels like I am re-injuring it.

Aside: I am newbie and an old fart, so I never know where to post (I have been working Haganah and Boxing for nine months and I am 55).

Perhaps I should move on to shuffle board.
    I'm definitely no stranger to intercostal injuries. I've had several in my life, from getting thrown, and from grappling. I've just healed from one recently, and yeah, its a terror when you feel a sneeze coming. I can suggest advil, and a warm bath or shower, but don't train until you heal because a re-injury can really put you out for awhile. You can work different aspects of your game, horse stance, (don't know if you're into that) but anything that doesn't twist or compress the area. Good news, is that it will heal, and you can train again, but I'm 51, and I do know that it sucks and how long it takes sometimes, but , it is what it is. And you're still better off than the giy your age who doesn't train, so pat yourself on the back, (but not too hard or it might hurt,lol) Get well soon.....

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 4:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Guys, thanks for the encouraging words. I look forward to getting back in the gym.

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 3:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

down time, again

Almost 45 now, and fellow old farts, this year of training has been hard...

My back tweaked out on me - which occasionally happens no matter what I am doing or not doing (exercise or training-wise). That put me in a crappy frame of mind and I almost quit jiu jitsu... then I read the HTFU thread and decided to get my ass back in there.

3 classes later I got my third stripe white. The class after that I grabbed my leg so I could hip out to a triangle and my (much younger) partner postured up. I pulled harder... and my knee said POP.

Scared the **** out my partner - realized later the bone was right up against his head and it must have been loud as hell :new_shock. I didn't think it was that bad at the time and finished class... it hurt a little but mostly just seemed like a joint pop.

It's almost 2 weeks later and it's waking me up at night, and hurts to stand or walk now. Dr. appt. next week. Feck.

I re-read this thread again too. Better to train, when I can, as much as I can, than not go at all. So I'll go back. Just sucks not being able to keep up momentum, ya know?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 4:30pm

Style: TKD/Kickboxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 42 and currently in my fifth week of rehab for a torn rotator cuff. It's definately harder trying to get a workout in when you have to be mindful of injuries all the time. I'm sure I don't really get hurt more now than when I was younger; it just takes a much longer time to heal from those injuries now.

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 4:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just saw your other post, _V_

I missed the Kyra Gracie seminar at McMahon, too. Thus the feeling sorry for myself routine :cwm10:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 4:57pm

Style: TKD/Kickboxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's just one of those injuries where I probably could go workout, but the doctor says I shouldn't workout. When I was younger, I'd just sort of ignore the little aches and pains and keep training. But I really can't do that anymore.

Luckily I have a doctor now that is brutally honest with me and pretty much says "Don't be an idiot. You can either take a few weeks off and go to physical therapy or you can really tear something and be out for months after your surgery. Now, are you an idiot or not?"

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 8:15pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My current injury is due to mousing. I kid you not. RSI. Not MA.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 8:49pm

Style: Bartitsu&German Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been reading and contributing to this thread since its' inception and am glad to know that my fellow trainees keep banging away as hard as their aches and pains allow. That level of dedication motivates me to keep banging on the heavy bag.

I wonder if the moderators will award us the highly coveted "Owies R Us" tags?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 3:46am

Style: Judo/Roadwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Closer to 38 than to 37 now... Since I haven't trained continuously up through the years I have no "gradual" changes to point out. Injuries take longer to heal, small stuff can stay with you forever, more soreness - yeah, I recognize that.

Pace myself. Think stuff through rather than just throwing myself into whatever.

Fun thing is, as a Judo noob I'm paired up with people half my age, and getting choked by one of those nimble bloddy ferrets feels oddly degrading, but unavoidable... I can atleast benchpress the buggers. Still, my ukemi is passable - did craploads of that as a 10-11 year old brat in JJJ, and strangely it hasn't disappeared.

One advantage I clearly see is that my physical strength is on a totally other level now as a grown man than what it was earlier. Slightly disadvantage too - means I'm liable to muscle through stuff instead of using proper technique.

Cardio-wise I'm in a much better position now than I've ever been... still need to get into HIIT / Tabata or something though - my muscleing through/crappy technique leaves me gassed more often than not.

Regards,
    Lars

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 3:30pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandinha View Post
    So it's finally hit me, I'm 41. I started on Bullshido when I was, what? Thirty Four. So hitting Middle Age kinda creeped up on me.

What I want to know from my fellow old fuckers, how has age changed your training, what injuries are nagging or have you out of training, and what your plans are for the future.
    I'm 45. Been training for about 4 years. I generally train BJJ and judo 2-3 times per week each, and yoga 1-2 a week, very occasionally Muay Thai, but real life and family generally keep my gloves off.

I've been lucky to not have had any injuries that have affected me permanently, except for an old sprained ankle. I've had a variety of lesser injuries: cauliflower ear, strained various joints, broken hand, pulled muscles, etc.

Plans for the future: keep training as long as my body will allow.