Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15161718 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 1:47am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    39 in a couple of weeks here. I think the biggest thing for me has been injury management. The young bastards seem to go 200 mph and don't worry about it (they are still invincible right?). But, I tend to tap more, think more, be way more cerebral than I was in my teens or 20's.

I do find I need more 'healing time' too, but I've recently gotten on MaxGXL and that seems to be offsetting that. Kind of stoked on that too.

I think the biggest thing that my age has given me is patience, and lack of ego in the gym. That helps a ton, get that out of the way and you can seriously learn and train.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    4/18/2010 6:47am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonDingDong View Post
    ...But what really worries me is not getting injured, so much as audibly farting in front of the class...
    This is a thing of bowel movements and not age.

Trust me, I've probably witnessed/heard every single member of the gym letting one out since I'm there... Sometimes, it just happens, and it's not surprising at all, since you work the core/belly a lot, often involuntarily...

Sometimes, when I sense tension in my intestines, I am kind enough to warn my training partners of their inevitable destiny. As of today, none have perished due to my gases.

No need to shoot yourself in the mouth even if it happens near a lady - remember, a relationship starts to get serious after you first fart without shame infront of the other, right? ;-)

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2010 11:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The key is the right balance of fibre in your diet.
    Few years back I did a number on my rotator cuff. Long story short, I've got a pin in my shoulder and a battle scar to show off to the young guns.
    So, after a long layoff, I decided to throw my hat in the ring again.
    Now, as a 36 year old noobie, I find myself throwing up halfway through warmup and conditioning from time to time, while trying to keep up with the 20-somethings.
    I never had a problem getting myself back into shape before. Now I'm fighting just to hit 60% of my of what I thought was my fitness level. Baby steps and a whole lot of patience is the key to making those gains while being aware that our limits aren't what they used to be.
    Reading some of the other stories out there has helped me get back in the mix. Thanks all.

Posted On:
    4/18/2010 2:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hang in with the conditioning. At 36 there is no reason you can't match or exceed the 20 somethings in general fitness. I'm 51 and have had a couple of periods in my life where I've had to rebuild my fitness level. Today I feel that my cardio conditioning is very good; perhaps not 100 percent of what I was capable of as a 20 something, but certainly 95 percent of that level or better. Where I really feel the difference at my age is in the joints. I just feel impact more, and recovery time from injuries seems to take longer. But I also find that the higher level at which I can maintain my general conditioning, the less problem that I have with my joints.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    4/18/2010 3:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as far as conditioning goes: i always sleep with young girls, early 20ies.
    keep my stamina up.
    try it, it works.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2010 4:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What might be better for my stamina & endurance is running from my wife after she catches me.

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    4/18/2010 4:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will be 43 this June.

You need a good fish oil for the joints and heart.

You need good grass fed beef.

Sleep.

As well as not overtraining your body.

Many older people understand that you cannot train everyday so you have to get smarter and train with your brain as well as your brawn.

More warmups and warmdowns.

Hot showers and ice when needed.

Who cares about cardio when its all about being able to break people.

I am not going to compete, Im going to fight.

period.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2010 5:17pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shackle View Post
    The key is the right balance of fibre in your diet.
    I think I've worked it out. I've been trying to eat better snacks, so have been downing handfuls of nuts and dried fruit - dried prunes especially. Bad move, as it's be turning me as sulfurous as hell itself. I mean, I'm as routinely gassy as the next guy, but this was off the chart. No prunes before judo shall be the whole of the law.

As a flatulent aside, last summer my 11 year-old beagle started doing the worst, stomach churning, gag-inducing farts you've ever experienced - emissions sufficiently robust to knock you out if he dropped one in a force 9 gale. We were seriously worried he had a stomach tumor and were basically giving him the last rites, when one evening I noticed him acting suspiciously around the shed. I followed him, and found him chowing down on a bag of organic lawn fertilizer. Over the course of two weeks, he'd eaten three quarters of a 30lb bag.

And as for farting in front of women - if this is the key to a strong relationship, then my wife and I are on for a record.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 4:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post

Who cares about cardio when its all about being able to break people.

I am not going to compete, Im going to fight.

period.
    Dale you're my homey, but i have to say something about this part:
    if that is how you really feel about it, why not buy a gun?
    who cares bout routines, allignments in posture, etc when it comes down to combat?

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 7:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    Dale you're my homey, but i have to say something about this part:
    if that is how you really feel about it, why not buy a gun?
    who cares bout routines, allignments in posture, etc when it comes down to combat?
    As an old guy, I would suggest a good .223 with a scope, and a bench rest with a cup holder that would come in handy for tasty beverages.
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15161718 ... LastLast