Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14151617 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 4:59pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took my very first bjj class last night (41 years old), and it was great, despite the fact that I twisted my left knee doing it (the left's the good one, not the one with the acl damage, no cartilage and arthritis).

But what really worries me is not getting injured, so much as audibly farting in front of the class. I did it during ne waza last weekend, and again last night while shifting my hips to get a kimura.

The first guy was cool about it and laughed it off. Last night, I'm not so sure - I'd only met him for 5 minutes and there I was blowing off right next to his head. I also rolled with a young woman and I'd have to leave the mat immediately and shoot myself in the mouth if I ever farted front of her.

How did it ever come to this? The fact that we don't have the ability to see into the future is truly evidence that God is kind.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    4/15/2010 5:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    aaah so this is where ''old fart'' comes from!

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 11:15am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonDingDong View Post
    I took my very first bjj class last night (41 years old), and it was great, despite the fact that I twisted my left knee doing it (the left's the good one, not the one with the acl damage, no cartilage and arthritis).

But what really worries me is not getting injured, so much as audibly farting in front of the class. I did it during ne waza last weekend, and again last night while shifting my hips to get a kimura.

The first guy was cool about it and laughed it off. Last night, I'm not so sure - I'd only met him for 5 minutes and there I was blowing off right next to his head. I also rolled with a young woman and I'd have to leave the mat immediately and shoot myself in the mouth if I ever farted front of her.

How did it ever come to this? The fact that we don't have the ability to see into the future is truly evidence that God is kind.
    Do you warm up before class? If not, get there early and do some warmup drills on your own - 4 corners, triangles, rolling on a stability ball are all great for getting your farts out before class. They work fine for warming your muscles up too.

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 1:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    44 here. Started BJJ last August after 8 years of better than average Bujinkan training, (for what that was worth). Having lots of fun but this year has been interrupted a lot. I took two 1.5 week breaks for work on a full calf sleeve tattoo - but have also cracked a rib rolling with a big dude (another couple of weeks off) and then two weeks ago my lower back did its thing - twang!

I get down on myself about inconsistency of training, like anyone... and it sucks because I had set myself the goal of blue by my next birthday (september - which was just barely possible if I kept up with 3-4 classes per week pace).

When I get stressed about it, one place being older actually helps is having the experience to remember, this too will pass. Each break I've just worked on hitting the gym for general core fitness as much as possible and I'll be back on the mat when I can.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 3:48pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcc View Post
    When I get stressed about it, one place being older actually helps is having the experience to remember, this too will pass. Each break I've just worked on hitting the gym for general core fitness as much as possible and I'll be back on the mat when I can.
    I think that's one of the benefits of perspective, isn't it. one of the definite benefits of 'growing up' is realising how to balance things, and when you're letting yourself slack vs. taking a break for a reason.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 5:28pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Do you warm up before class? If not, get there early and do some warmup drills on your own - 4 corners, triangles, rolling on a stability ball are all great for getting your farts out before class. They work fine for warming your muscles up too.
    So that's what they're doing with that ball. The dirty buggers.

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 6:43pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    back mai dayz we watched gurls churn buttah.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 8:12pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    aaah so this is where ''old fart'' comes from!
    Returned to judo last night after a short layoff and was practicing newazza with a new white belt. Without warning, I accidentally busted out a monster fart.

Music was playing loudly so I don't think anyone else heard it.

She was quite the lady. Gave a good laugh and told me she'd wrestled for eight years.

Realized I'd eaten bean burritos for lunch.

Lebell - you'll find that the older you get, the more you enjoy a good fart.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/16/2010 8:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds to me like there needs to be an "Old Age & Treachery" tag...
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    4/17/2010 1:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Returned to judo last night after a short layoff and was practicing newazza with a new white belt. Without warning, I accidentally busted out a monster fart.

Music was playing loudly so I don't think anyone else heard it.

She was quite the lady. Gave a good laugh and told me she'd wrestled for eight years.

Realized I'd eaten bean burritos for lunch.

Lebell - you'll find that the older you get, the more you enjoy a good fart.
    zomg!

i cant wiat to grow old!

awesome!

no...wait...

what?
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14151617 ... LastLast