Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 11:30am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Trying to find good BJJ in Toronto/woodbridge ON

I live in Woodbridge ON, but I work downtown Toronto. I'm currently looking for a good BJJ school. In woodbridge they have Bravado BJJ, and in Toronto I am 4 subway stops away from Toronto BJJ.

I haven't head too much good or bad things about either school. I think Toronto BJJ is around $100 a month with a sliding scale if you pay more in advance. I have no idea about bravados cost.

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about either school. (I heard through the grape vine that Toronto BJJ is relatively easier to get a BJJ blue belt, but I can't verify that). I haven't heard anything amazing or bad about Dan Moroney at all. But I heard good things about the BB at TOronto BJJ. Anyway if anyone knows anything please let me know

SNG

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 12:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No personal experience but...

After a quick review of each I'd say the more experienced seems to be the head instructor at Toronto BJJ. The difference being where he trained from white to black and that he has a list of notable tourny achievements (the other has more of a list of who he's trained with only).

However both of their pedigree looks good from the outset and leads back to Saulo and/or Royler, not so random one off guy. Nothing wrong with that.

Of course really you should go and watch both classes several times and take advantage of their intro classes as well. You may find the guys at one place are arrogant and pricks to train with and not so at the other. This is huge IMO.

Also, I have trained under some really talented guys from Brazil who can't teach their way out of a paper bag. Being really good at an art and being able to convey said art are very different animals. This is why I'd advocate to watch your first class or two and then take an intro class. You want to spend some time wisely on this investment in time and money.

Watch the instructor's attention to detail when they teach. Watch how they tweak technique for different body styles and gender. Watch how they interact before and after classes with the students. Does it feel like family or business?

As far as people's personal experience hopefully someone will respond to you with that. That is another good path when choosing but be wary as people at BJJ place 'A' may tell you 'B' is bad and vice versa. Some people have axes to grind and this shouldn't be your deciding factor unless multiple unrelated people echo the sentiment.

Last but not least...

Quote Originally Posted by superninjagod View Post
    (I heard through the grape vine that Toronto BJJ is relatively easier to get a BJJ blue belt, but I can't verify that).
    Don't let this be a factor.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 1:10pm

Style: Muay Thai/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    have you checked out mecca?

www.meccamma.ca

The problem I had with Toronto BJJ was the payment plans, since I don't get to train as often as I'd like. Apart from that, the class sizes were pretty big, and there was a very confrontational, competitive, almost militant atmosphere to it. The instructor was cool, but for me, the classes were just too big. Also, if you ever plan on doing muay thai or boxing as well, the striking area of Toronto BJJ is about the size of a bedroom. But they may have renovated since I've last seen it.

Mecca, while not having as much mat space, has a pretty chill crowd and smaller classes; it feels more like a family or a group of old buddies and everyone was really there to help you out.

I'll be honest, though. I've only tried the Judo, Boxing, and MMA classes there so far. I'm planning to get back into BJJ and try some wrestling some time soon after the school busy-ness dies down a bit. I was on the site just now and noticed that Kareem--previously the head BJJ instructor at Toronto BJJ is now teaching there. I'm interested to see how that will go.

EDIT: I realized that this part is a bit off topic, FYI
    There's also a decent Muay Thai gym upstairs (don't mind the cardio kickboxing; that's how they pay the rent) with Ajahn Amnat leading the advanced classes. I'd say there's more of a focus on conditioning and cardio up there, which is why I've been going to Mecca; I wanted to work on technique and spar without first working myself to the brink of death. There's a time and place for everything, and I don't think prolonged cardio and endurance workouts should precede sparring classes.

www.tkmt.ca

I hope I don't sound like a sales pitch. Personally Toronto BJJ just didn't work for me, but maybe the things I didn't like will be things you like.

Oh and while I'm here, there's also Renegade.

www.renegademtk.com

Kind of the same format that TKMT had before they became exclusively a muay thai gym. Primary focus on muay thai, with BJJ and MMA classes, and a sprinkle of cardio conditioning classes to pay the rent.

---------------------------

I hope this all helped. XD
    Last edited by DarkXacreD; 1/12/2010 1:33pm at .

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 1:14pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi OP,

My stated Bias - former Bravado student. (but in Montreal)

One of the factors that will help you decide is on the distance. If you are in Woodbridge it might make sense to train close to home, it will make a difference if you have to travel in our Canadian weather, and in just checking things out, taking in lunch training ect, or staying late can be easier.

RGDA is a system with lots of training, including summer camps ect. I have not trained with Danny, but if he is at all like his brother (and they trained together) you will get the customized treatment you will like. (plus for Jan they have 60 days for 90$ on the website) which sounds like a good intro fee.

I am sure BJJ Toronto is top notch too...just keep your options open. You need to know what your ultimate training objective is.

Let us know what you find, so helping the next ones with questions will be easier.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 1:20pm

Style: Christopher Hitchens-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mecca's cool. mark stables is very cool. chillest dude i've ever met in bjj.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 1:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're both good

1 question to ask yourself.

Are you more likely to train right after work or after you get home?

Also I think Wagney Fabiano is teaching somewhere in Woodbridge

He's like the Godfather of BJJ in southern Ontario. Almost everyone who teaches studied under him at some point.

So if you can find out where..

And don't forget www.kombatarts.com in mississauga

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 3:12pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leave it to Goju-Joe to send some inquiring mind on a quest for a near mythic MA godfather/grandmaster who may just live down the his own street :) Guess who will be nicer to strangers tomorrow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 8:23pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    They're both good

1 question to ask yourself.

Are you more likely to train right after work or after you get home?

Also I think Wagney Fabiano is teaching somewhere in Woodbridge

He's like the Godfather of BJJ in southern Ontario. Almost everyone who teaches studied under him at some point.

So if you can find out where..

And don't forget www.kombatarts.com in mississauga
    I heard about Wagney Fabiano, I was going to start a different Thread about him but I guess I don't have to. Is he really that good!! I head that he is in North York. Its at ________ Brothers Gym, I can't remember the name though. I just saw a flier recently.

Anyway thanks everyone for the great responses. Please keep em coming if you can.

I used to train at rebellion BJJ when it was Mark Stables, Steve Lin and Omar Salvosa. Back then Omar was a purple, and Steve and Mark were blues (**** I'm old). Anyways I do remember than Mark was pretty chill. Its just that area is such a pain to get to with public transit. I normally drive to Yorkdale mall and take TTC to bay and bloor. So if I were to go to either Toronto BJJ or Mecca it would have to be using TTC. To be honest it would almost be as easy for me to get to Ascension BJJ (which is where I'm originally from) as it would be to get to Mecca cause TTC is sooo gay!

Anyway if anyone else has any good points on either club I would appreciate it!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 7:21pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wagney Fabiano is teaching in woodbridge?! Man I miss training under him and his brother Leo (especially Leo). I used to train at Nova Uniao before it became Toronto BJJ.

I've trained at a few BJJ schools downtown:

Mecca is a pretty chill place, everybody gets along. Mark is a pretty cool guy, class structure seems more like go with the flow. If someone has a question, he'll answer it and then expand on it. He used to have Goki Uemura teach judo there on certain days, and that was a real pleasure. I'm not sure if he still teaches there or not though.

Toronto BJJ is a very popular place, like another poster said, ppl there are pretty serious about training. I didn't spend much time training there though, but they're very professional.

I haven't trained at Budokan BJJ, but they've opened up a new location at Christie and St. Clair. Professor Rezek is an awesome instructor focusing on technique over everything else. He also has a really thorough teaching style and he is a very patient instructor. I don't know about the school, but I would definitely recommend him if you wanna study bjj downtown.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 7:48pm

Style: Christopher Hitchens-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goki is one of the nicest man i've met in my life.
    i remember years ago, i commented on a sweatshirt he had on. it was made by toraki and styled like a judogi. i told him i really like the design and he immediately took it off and shove it into my hands. i couldn't refuse. i would have offended him if i did. he is one of the giants of canadian judo.
    he is one of very few men i've met that truly utterly loved judo.
    he was also very capable of a mean streak if he wanted though. he's been known to break people's jaws with the way he finished morote seoi.
    Last edited by kenikim; 1/13/2010 7:51pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast