Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2010 12:55am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best of those courses I've ever seen was a system developed by Dr. William Paul. He was a 5th dan judoka, biomechanics expert and one smart, tough cookie. Legend has it he developed the basics of the system against members of the Hell's Angels, who were prone to violently disrupting peace marches and demonstrations during the Vietnam War era.

Dr. Paul was senior enough in his local (Boston, IIRC) mental health care bureaucracy to get his system institutionalized, including, crucially, the idea of ongoing training rather than day seminars. Unfortunately, he died quite young and the system never really took hold elsewhere. I've seen a training tape he made in the early '80s, and it was really excellent stuff.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2010 4:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: no-gi Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any books or training guides for Dr Pual's system availble now?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2010 4:15am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a book that's been "in development" for a few years now - I'll post around here when it finally hits the shelves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2010 1:46pm

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Good call, that had completely slipped my mind. Transport ships, right?
    Yes, iirc.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2010 6:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tai chi, silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am now retired and worked for 25 years as prison guard in NY. I started in 1981 at former Matteawan Hospital for Criminally Insane. There I learned an old technique which had been employed for many years. It was called the wet towel technique. Guards all used to carry around a wet towel and if they had an inmate who was out of control they would whip the towel around inmate's neck and choke him out. Towel was wt because it was easier to whip around and also because it left no marks on inmate's neck. Some old guards were very hand with this and could do it through the cell bars. This is a lost art these days due to more prisoner's rights and such. I am not saying this procedure was a good idea, and I personally never used it myself. I am just saying it was very effective.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12