Posted On:
    1/12/2010 10:29am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"American Jiu Jitsu" in 19th century psych. hospitals

http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/20...e-walled-city/

Interesting excerpt from a book written in 1913 (after the introduction of jujitsu to the Western world), describing a self defense/restraint system developed in US psychiatric hospitals during the 19th century.

The Japanese are credited with originating the much-heralded art of “jiu jitsu.” But long before the word that stands for joint twisting, nerve-squeezing, and muscle-pulling was known in this country, a system of similar, if less elaborate, disabling methods was known to practically every veteran keeper in all the Walled Cities of the country.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 11:04am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. My dad was an orderly at a mental institution in the late 50's, early 60's. He definitely knew some restraining techniques that are very similar to jujutsu.

Do you know of any other articles or books on this subject that contain specific examples of any of these techniques? I'm sure my dad would enjoy reading any if they exist.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 11:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the UK, a control/restraint system based on judo and originally developed for the prison system had been adopted by the psychiatric industry by the 1970s; I don't know what the situation was in the US at that time.

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything more about the 19th century system. If it was kept secret, as the "Walled City" author indicates, it may well never have been written down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 8:22am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Interesting. My dad was an orderly at a mental institution in the late 50's, early 60's. He definitely knew some restraining techniques that are very similar to jujutsu.

Do you know of any other articles or books on this subject that contain specific examples of any of these techniques? I'm sure my dad would enjoy reading any if they exist.
    On a related note, check out the information on the "Garotting Panic." It describes a rear choke used by criminals, allegedly learned from prison guards.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 9:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/20...e-walled-city/

Interesting excerpt from a book written in 1913 (after the introduction of jujitsu to the Western world), describing a self defense/restraint system developed in US psychiatric hospitals during the 19th century.
    Ddlr,

The "American Jiu Jitsu" in the title of the excerpt was your choice? When I saw that I immediately went and took a look at Len Lanius' "American Jiu Jitsu" (1922), to see if there was either an overt or implicit possible connection. Nothing sprang out at me immediately.

Any connection there in your mind?

All the Best,

-Chris Amendola

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 12:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    On a related note, check out the information on the "Garotting Panic." It describes a rear choke used by criminals, allegedly learned from prison guards.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    Good call, that had completely slipped my mind. Transport ships, right?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 12:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCrane View Post
    Ddlr,

The "American Jiu Jitsu" in the title of the excerpt was your choice? When I saw that I immediately went and took a look at Len Lanius' "American Jiu Jitsu" (1922), to see if there was either an overt or implicit possible connection. Nothing sprang out at me immediately.

Any connection there in your mind?

All the Best,

-Chris Amendola
    It's a quote from the book: "But in point of fact, this same system of 'American jiu jitsu,' if it may be so called, was sometimes a merciful as well as an effective way of handling excited and ungovernable patients."

I doubt that there's any actual connection between this and Lanius' system, but who knows ...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 1:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    It's a quote from the book: "But in point of fact, this same system of 'American jiu jitsu,' if it may be so called, was sometimes a merciful as well as an effective way of handling excited and ungovernable patients."

I doubt that there's any actual connection between this and Lanius' system, but who knows ...
    If nothing else it is interesting that there's an earlier combination of the terms "American" and "JiuJitsu", and that folks were thinking in the general sense of a locally grown "variant" of JJ or answer to JJ.

Given that JJ didn't seem to "dominate" as well in the States as it did in Europe (basing this on the coverage in NY Times Archives) in the first decade of the 20th Century, perhaps folks were able to see "native" (really relative here) knowledge as an "answer" to JJ.

All the Best,

-Chris Amendola

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 1:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Q.V. the discussion on the Bartitsu list re. the people who, subsequent to the introduction of jiujitsu, claimed that it was effectively "nothing new". Nationalism was at its peak around 1900.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2010 12:47am

Style: JKD/Kali/Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least it was probably better than S.C.I.P ( Strategies for Crisis Intervention and Prevention ) I worked in a school for emotionaly distrubed children and later a school for children and adults with autism . Based on experience this system ( SCIPr ) is a great way to invite somone to stomp your knee , headbutt you while trying to calm them down .
    For the record I always tried to use a SCPI hold before using any basic judo or wrestling
    Emotionally disturbed
    Emotionally disturbed
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast