Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 12:20pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just out of curiosity, because I've been designated as one of the go-to guys in our school to drill and roll with female students for some reason, what exactly is this boob lock you're referring to?

Spear Sister

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Recruiting Master

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 12:29pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See also: Purple Nurple.

Actually is probably just arms getting locked around chest in just the right (wrong?) way and squishing the boobies. It's not pleasant but if necessary most girls will just let you know while rolling and let you reposition. Obviously you don't want to go out of your way to crush boobs but imo you shouldn't let it influence how you roll to much. Worst I ever really get is sometimes when people get into side control they'll smoosh things that don't want to be smooshed.
    Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 1/12/2010 12:32pm at .

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 12:34pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gotcha. No, i'm definitely not letting up or doing things in an inferior way just because I'm rolling with a woman, just aiming to be mindful and courteous.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 2:00pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity View Post
    See also: Purple Nurple.

Actually is probably just arms getting locked around chest in just the right (wrong?) way and squishing the boobies. It's not pleasant but if necessary most girls will just let you know while rolling and let you reposition. Obviously you don't want to go out of your way to crush boobs but imo you shouldn't let it influence how you roll to much. Worst I ever really get is sometimes when people get into side control they'll smoosh things that don't want to be smooshed.
    as opposed to boob-a-gatame: the use of the boob, for those well endowed women, to suffocate their opponents.

Spear Sister

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Recruiting Master

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 2:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're trying to hurt people. Not make them really happy.

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 3:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ White Belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity View Post
    Actually is probably just arms getting locked around chest in just the right (wrong?) way and squishing the boobies.
    That's my issue. Not well-endowed really, but when they're squished/pulled inadvertently to one side with pressure on them - yikes! I noticed the first time when I was practicing with one of the instructors at the gym I train at. He's an older guy and so it's comfortable to practice with him because he knows what he's doing and he doesn't go soft on me or make me feel dumb for not knowing stuff. We were practicing wrist locks using body weight to manipulate the wrist in kuzuri kesa gatame and kesa gatame. I noticed later when rolling that side control can also be an issue sometime ^.^;

What exactly do you use, Anna? Is it just a thicker sport's bra? I was looking at one of the sports bras that was linked on the thread earlier (not sure which link, I bookmarked the thread to come back to when it's shopping time lol). It was a black one that looked like a normal sports bra and I think was only $30 or so. It said you could use the turtle things, but didn't need to. I was thinking too of wearing a padded bra under a thicker sports bra. Just wondering what works best for you?

Thanks again to everyone for all the help!

<3

Lilly

Registered Member

Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 9:04pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When my girlfriend was first getting into grappling (which was short-lived due to distance to training and money costs) she found a nice cross-backed sports bra, a larger bra over the top and she used those weird boob-fillet things you can get in underwear stores to make some padding for them, then her rashie and just a shirt over that.

I thought it was a bit excessive, but she found it a lot more comfortable. But this was no-gi, also.

Spear Sister

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Recruiting Master

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 9:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    What exactly do you use, Anna?

Lilly

Basically this style of thin relatively rigid plastic shield. Not sure if mine is exactly the same but imagine they're all pretty similar.

Mine was second hand, just the shield, imagine they make special bras to hold them if you look but i get by just by putting on one sports bra then another over top of it and sliding the shield between them.

It's light, functional, and unobtrusive.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 6:40am

Style: Yoshukai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My wife uses the Cool Guard Sports Bra with inserts. Very similiar to the Turtle Shells, but she finds the Cool Guard to be more comfortable when grappling/throwing.

http://www.titlemma.com/sf_678/c_675/p_FSCG+A+BK.aspx

Just thought I would throw that in.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 9:14am

supporting member
     Style: The Jits + Hung Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also want to chime in if it's not too late since I also have da' female anatomy:

I play ice hockey with a shock doctor compression short w/ a women's jill (pelvic protector) in the front pocket. If you fit into a normal woman's size, you can get them as complete packages. If not, you can buy a jill and a pair of male shorts and swap out the cup. Reebok also makes them. If you go this route, you may want to buy a non hockey compression short that holds a jill or cup, since hockey shorts have velcro tabs to hold up knit socks. Where I work (Play It Again Sports), the whole thing is about 40 bucks.

It's really not apparent you have one on either, and impact there is no problem for rolling or sparring. I don't know if they're technically tournament legal or anything. However, I can attest to taking several pucks and slashings off of my crotch, so that should give you some indication that it works.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast