Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 7:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ (noob), BBT (Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My google-fu is weak and pathetic... so ADM, you train at Epic... when did the bb role into town. The website still says two browns. Congrats to whoever got the promotion! Hopefully they hang around.

Lets make Canberra a decent BJJ hub in Australia!

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 7:44pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra99 View Post
    Hey mate, pretty sure you must train at Pheonix then considering they are the only gym Im aware of that have a black in the ACT and a Brazilian to boot!! Good stuff...

Im a noob to BJJ but not at Pheonix, and was just wondering about this new BJJ advertising going up all over the place. Just because Norton is a legit MAist, doesnt make his students legit by default, and you have to admit those videos look retardedly dodgy.

This new guy in town is listed as a blue on the Budoshinkai website, but that doesnt immediately prove legitimacy under Will/ Machado BJJ. If there is a black under that org in town, why wouldnt people just train there?

EDIT: Hold up, who is the Will/ Machado black in the ACT and where do they train? Pheonix lists their instructor as a Gracie black belt...

Ok I'll try and set some facts straight here, I might have been a bit vauge in my other posts.

Firstly, Norton's videos shown there are stupidly old. But the guy is a 3rd degree black belt in BJJ (and a Shiahan in Zen Do Kai) not sure what other styles he's done, but the guy trains almost every day, and aruond the world, and has been doing so for a number of years. Not to mention the great deal of respect he has for all factions of BJJ and other martial arts.

As for this guys blue belt, it's easy enough to look up, or ask around, but I'm not going to do this for you, it takes time and effort, and time is limiting to me at the moment unfortuantely :(

As for where I train, I train up from Pheonix. A nice bunch of guys down there, but I train at Elements BJJ which is an off-shoot from EPIC BJJ near the Woden Plaza there, sometimes we go over there for a lesson and sometimes a few of them come over to our place.

Which brings me to my next point, why train under a Purple Belt if a black belt is just down the road? Preference mainly, I like my instructor / coach, he's very good and very passionate about teaching, and does a damn good job at it. Another reason is location for some (i.e. if I were south side I would train at EPIC every day, not Elements, although I used to make the trip regardless back when there was noone in Mitchell).

There are currently no Black Belts in Machado / Will here in ACT, there are 2 Brown Belts, 1 of which is the instructor at EPIC, the other is a competitor, probably instructs now and again but pretty much shits on everyone he rolls with here in ACT (please note he hasn't rolled with the Gracie guy at Pheonix ... at least not to my knowledge).

So where abouts is this guy you're investigating anyway? Where does he teach, etc?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 8:08pm

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    according to Wiki (yeah i know) he trained with Yamashita Sensei at some point. I let my Sensei know his name and that the vid was out there. While taking drills from someone else, renaming them, and selling them isnt illegal, it sure is a lousy thing to do especially without credit to who taught you. My opinion.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 8:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's in Jerrabomberra. Gotta admit, I jumped the gun a little, but it was mainly due to the advertising Ive seen on community boards around the place saying that it was BJJ training that piqued my interest. His name is Damien and he is a legitimate blue belt under Will/ Machado through Norton. So it's all above board.

I only knew of Epic, Pheonix and Roots down here.

I was a bit unclear too. I meant why train under a blue when there are higher grades around Canberra. Saying that, I train under a purple with Roots for much the same reasons as you.

As for the old vids, Ive seen Norton's bio etc, and we all make mistakes. So fair enough, Im sure that if he is highly regarded by Will, he is a good MAist.

Seems like the community is growing exponentially around here!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 8:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well looks like it may just be a case of a guy with a significant amount of experience wanted to make his own style... There is no prices on the website, so cant comment on the cost, the only other avenue was the FMA stuff of which I know nothing.

Not necessarily a bad thing, other than the dicky uniforms. If there was pricing on the website, I guess I could comment on the McDojo nature of the place. It definately seems that way with all the kids etc.

If thats all, Im not going to comment on this anymore. My curiosity has been satisfied and there doesnt seem to be any wrongdoing or overt Bullshido here.

Hopefully we will roll sometime in future ADM! Roots is starting open mat at ANU sometime soon, maybe Ill catch you there!

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 8:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra99 View Post
    He's in Jerrabomberra. Gotta admit, I jumped the gun a little, but it was mainly due to the advertising Ive seen on community boards around the place saying that it was BJJ training that piqued my interest. His name is Damien and he is a legitimate blue belt under Will/ Machado through Norton. So it's all above board.

I only knew of Epic, Pheonix and Roots down here.

I was a bit unclear too. I meant why train under a blue when there are higher grades around Canberra. Saying that, I train under a purple with Roots for much the same reasons as you.

As for the old vids, Ive seen Norton's bio etc, and we all make mistakes. So fair enough, Im sure that if he is highly regarded by Will, he is a good MAist.

Seems like the community is growing exponentially around here!

Ahh that makes sense, I mean if I lived down in the Quean, it would be ncie to have a BJJ instructor there. Don't be hard on him for being a blue belt though, at least in the Machado / Will group. They grade very slowly here in ACT, John doesn't come down very often at all and thus gradings aren't all that common.

And you must train with Ben Turnbull. He's a lovely guy and you must train upstairs at the Charnwood Shops there right after we're done training in Kyokushin ;)

I stopped by and had a roll with you guys one day, Ben said that would be fine (like I said, he's a great guy!) I should do it again some time soon :D

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 8:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im at ANU, ocassionally at Charnie. Be good to see you sometime mate!

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 8:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would indeed be great :) let me know when the open mats are on as I'd love to come along.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 9:03pm

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok wiki (yeah i know) says he trained with Sensei Yamashita at some point. I let my Sensei know his name, he had never heard of him, and if i hear anything else i'll post it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 10:46pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADM
    Which brings me to my next point, why train under a Purple Belt if a black belt is just down the road?
    I agree on your answer to this question; after all, I train under a purple belt instructor and our BJJ team came second overall in the teams cup at the SA state comps.

Quote Originally Posted by ADM
    Firstly, Norton's videos shown there are stupidly old. But the guy is a 3rd degree black belt in BJJ (and a Shiahan in Zen Do Kai) not sure what other styles he's done, but the guy trains almost every day, and aruond the world, and has been doing so for a number of years. Not to mention the great deal of respect he has for all factions of BJJ and other martial arts.
    Normally I'd definitely trust John Will when it comes to that sort of stuff, and I'm definitely not questioning Norton's BJJ, however those "Complexes" videos can't be that old as he updates his site blog fairly recently and has not removed them. This leads me to believe he still stands by them. And quite frankly, the look of them puts me off a lot.

Then again, I could be totally misinterpreting and it could be a drill for flexibility or something.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast