Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2010 11:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ (noob), BBT (Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Budoshinkai Karate - Dr. George Adams, Australia

Has anyone out there ever heard of Dr. George Adams of Budoshinkai Karate? Yes I searched to no avail. He lists his accomplishments as follows:

Certifications Held and Awards

1. Black Belt 8th Dan Karate (Int.Kojosho Karate Federation, 18 Postures Mind & Body Boxing Association, World Martial Arts Council & the USKA)
    2. Kyoshi title from the Kojosho
    3. Black Belt 5th Dan Jiu Jitsu
    4. Black Belt 7th Degree Tae Kwon Do (Kwon Bop Do)
    5. Black Belt 4th Degree Sikaran
    6. Black Belt 4th Degree Arnis
    7. Muay Thai Instructor (Certified by 3 World Champions)
    8. Blue Belt BJJ (Norton/Will)
    9. Diploma Sports Coaching (Martial Arts)
    10. 1995 Gallery Hall of Fame (Cleveland, USA) 'Karate Instructor of the Year'
    11. 2001 ISKA 'Lifetime Achievement'
    12. 2001 ISKA 'Karate Instructor of the Year'
    13. 2009 Australian Martial Arts Hall of Fame 'Martial Artist of the Year'
    14. 2009 World Karate Union Hall of Fame 'Martial Artist of the Year'

Im not sure, but a lot of this seems about as legit as previous dodgy dealers in MABS. We have an associate here in Canberra that is teaching this stuff along with 'BJJ', but as a new BJJer, I was a little incensed that someone below blue was teaching around here.

I assume he is below blue, as Mr. Adams is only a blue under John Will. It would be a shame to see someone like this associated with Machado BJJ.

Possibly MABS worthy? I could do some groundwork at the local school if the interest is there...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2010 11:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crap, forgot to include the link to his site. Here it is

http://www.budoshinkai.com.au/home/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 8:51am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, apparently one of his more junior instructors has received a purple in BJJ and they both were graded by a man named Richard Norton, who was apparently the co-creator of Zen Do Kai. However, the videos I've seen of him seem larptastic (striking-wise).

So here:
    http://www.budoshinkai.com.au/upload...xlarge_193.jpg
    We have George Adams receiving his blue belt from this Richard Norton

And here:
    http://www.budoshinkai.com.au/upload...xlarge_244.jpg
    One of his instructors, Chris Tsolakis, receiving his purple belt also from Richard Norton.

However, Norton did not receive his black belt (at least in Australia) from the Will-Machado organisation, as he is not listed here:

http://www.bjj.com.au/main//?page_id=13

Also, Chris Tsolakis is not listed as a purple belt in the Australian Will Machado organisation. He is pictured getting his belt from Norton though.

Steve Perceval, who Adams claims is his regular coach, is a blackbelt under John Will.

Still can't find anything at all about Richard Norton's rank, though he is listed on On The Mat as a Machado blackbelt.

None of that really relates to this Canberra guy's ability to teach BJJ; is this Canberra associate you refer to the "Damien Philpott" listed as an ACT associate on their webpage?

Adams' ridiculous rank claims raise a massive red flag regardless of his BJJ experience though, and those "Complexes" videos look an absolute mess.\

Exhibit A:

YouTube- Richard Norton's Black Belt Complexes

EDIT: Found Richard Norton; 4th Degree BJJ Blackbelt under Jean-Jacques Machado: http://www.jeanjacquesmachado.com/index.php?id=8

BJJ side of things seems legit. But how can someone be a BJJ blackbelt and advocate bullshit like that "Complexes" crap?
    Last edited by raylawley; 1/13/2010 9:23am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 12:05pm

Style: Grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra99 View Post

5. Black Belt 4th Degree Sikaran
    6. Black Belt 4th Degree Arnis
    Belts in FMA?
    And what lineage?

Sorry - I know that BJJ is what everyone here cares about, but this looks LARPingly enough for me...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 2:13pm

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    okay i watched the video and the complexes he is advertising are breaking complex and advanced set 1. Everything thing else in my opinion seems to be suikendo. Suikendo is something Yamashita Sensei developed himself. This really looks like our sets and some suikendo drills mixed in. Hes just horrible at them. Breaking complex is at 45 sec mark, Advanced set 1 the last half off it is at 51 sec.
    Sensei Yamashita would be furious if someone is poaching his material as there own, and badly. Ill talk to my Sensei tonight and let him know. This guy doesnt provide a lineage, which makes me even more suspicious. Compare for yourselves...YouTube- hanshi Tadashi Yamashita-(part 5 of 10)Suikendo Shorin Ryu Karate vid is from awhile ago. Maybe late 70's early 80's.
    Last edited by ciscodog; 1/13/2010 2:30pm at . Reason: timeline

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 7:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Deleted due to further details that have been discovered.
    Last edited by Mahendra99; 1/13/2010 7:22pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 7:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, unless I was completely blind last time I looked at the site, there is a complete list of their BJJ belt ranks now, and Damien is apparently a blue after all... Well at least that is cleared up, glad to know that they dont let a white teach, when there is a legit purple and black in the ACT.

Apologies if you are reading this and are a legitimate blue Damien and Budoshinkai guys! Cisco, you can take the con on further investigation into the other Japanese stuff and hit me up if you want me to contact anyone locally.

Doesnt really explain the other red flags though...
    Last edited by Mahendra99; 1/13/2010 7:20pm at . Reason: adding apology for apparent legitimacy...

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 7:15pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Richard Norton is legit, I wouldn't go down that road, but if you must go nuts. John Will himself said that Richard Norton is one of the best Martial Artists he's ever met, and that's John Will talking right there not some third rate dude off the street.

Logn story short, if Mr Will says "yes, trust me" I'm likely to trust him.

I'm under the Will / Machado group here in ACT as well, never heard of this guy though, nor his accomplishments. As for his blue belt, one would assume he's been training for a few years in BJJ at least.

As for all his other rankings, etc. Well good luck hunting those down, half those styles I've never even heard of. But some should be easy enough to follow up.

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 7:17pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra99 View Post
    Wow, unless I was completely blind last time I looked at the site, there is a complete list of their BJJ belt ranks now, and Damien is apparently a blue after all... Well at least that is cleared up, glad to know that they dont let a white teach, when there is a legit purple and black in the ACT!

Doesnt really explain the other red flags though...
    The Black belt is currently on hoolidays at the moment (but he'll be back, and yeah guy is 100% legit!).

That said, there's also 2 brown belts as well as a few purple belts.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 7:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey mate, pretty sure you must train at Pheonix then considering they are the only gym Im aware of that have a black in the ACT and a Brazilian to boot!! Good stuff...

Im a noob to BJJ but not at Pheonix, and was just wondering about this new BJJ advertising going up all over the place. Just because Norton is a legit MAist, doesnt make his students legit by default, and you have to admit those videos look retardedly dodgy.

This new guy in town is listed as a blue on the Budoshinkai website, but that doesnt immediately prove legitimacy under Will/ Machado BJJ. If there is a black under that org in town, why wouldnt people just train there?

EDIT: Hold up, who is the Will/ Machado black in the ACT and where do they train? Pheonix lists their instructor as a Gracie black belt...
    Last edited by Mahendra99; 1/13/2010 7:34pm at . Reason: clarification...
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast