Posted On:
    1/11/2010 3:26pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

1907 London Police Arresting techniques

Was bored and searching around when I found this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...907-style.html

The grainy black-and-white images look as if they belong in a Keystone Kops silent comedy.

But their intention was deadly serious.

These pictures feature real police officers demonstrating the art of self defence
    I found it nifty that they were encouraged to "ensure compliance by placing foot on the throat" and I wonder how much they trained in boxing?

If a LEO tried something of that nature these days, I'd be willing to bet lawsuits would ensue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2010 5:18pm

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And here I thought police work back then mostly consisted of clubbing ruffians over the head then throwing them in the paddy wagon.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    1/11/2010 5:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, the Daily Mail.

"Although they provide a remarkable contrast with the kid-glove treatment handed out to today's criminals"

Can't say I didn't see that one coming...

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

My favourite so far is "HAVE THE P.C. BRIGADE INFECTED THE MEMORY OF DIANA WITH AIDS?".

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 9:54am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Bartitsu Society recently tracked down one of the police defense manuals written by Sergeant Wheeldon in 1905; it's a decent blend of jujitsu, wrestling and generic restraint tricks.

Wheeldon himself was a pretty interesting character. He was one of the main players in a big "boxing/wrestling vs. jujitsu" controversy that played out in the pages of "Health and Strength" magazine around this time. It was a more gentlemanly version of a typical Style vs. Style argument; the same points were brought up ("sport vs. street", etc.) a hundred years ago.

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 10:08am

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Ah, the Daily Mail.

"Although they provide a remarkable contrast with the kid-glove treatment handed out to today's criminals"

Can't say I didn't see that one coming...

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

My favourite so far is "HAVE THE P.C. BRIGADE INFECTED THE MEMORY OF DIANA WITH AIDS?".
    Haha, very nice. There was one a year or so about some rare foxes that carried a disease that could kill a child if the fox bit it, altogether unlikely but a feasible story however the head line went along the lines of "POLISH FOXES KILL BRITISH CHILD". Lush.

Anyway, back OT I like the comment that goes "I love the "foot on the neck" shot... Though I guess this might cause issues with certain religious factions that have phobias about shoes if it were implemented today!"... er, it's more likely that they're having their throats crushed that would cause the problem.