222483 Bullies, 4480 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 51 to 57 of 57
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Muerteds is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI (Hawaii Kai)
    Posts
    443

    Posted On:
    1/20/2010 12:46pm


     Style: Itinerant Wanderer

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox
    So your saying that the type of gi doesn't matter to you because you don't care about competition. This thread is about competition rules.
    Not at all. You should read what I wrote. I like competition. I do far too little of it, as I have too few opportunities for it. The type of gi I face doesn't matter to me because I don't put such a high value on using every edge I can can to assure my victory. I will do everything in my power to win. If you do something I cannot change (put on a funky gi), I won't worry about it. Even if I succeed in throwing or pinning you, I might still get a bad call and lose the match. But if I learn from what worked, then I feel I'm progressing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenikim
    what?
    What part of the concept of "no" were you unclear on? I do not care if my competitor has ultra short sleeves and a fabric softened gi. On the plus side, he'll be snuggly soft, and I can feel his strong, burly arms under my direct grip. On the downside, I'm likely to rip out his arm air.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenikim
    what? catering to a lowest common denominator
    Really, I'm not sure how to be more clear here. Standardization is always a move to cater to the lowest common denominator in a given group. There is a balance between generally accepted practices, and defining how the warp and weft of a fabric must lie in relation to the floor. In this case, the IJF is catering to the lowest common denominator possible by defining the make-up of a gi in minutiae. It's silly, and mostly it's a money grab to solve a non-existent problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenikim
    you say "at some point, you have to acknowledge that there will be differences between the competitors, and they will have to sort it out themselves." so by your reasoning, there is no need to have referees or rule sets.
    Logic fails for you, doesn't it?
  2. CrackFox is online now
    CrackFox's Avatar

    You have to work the look.

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bat Country
    Posts
    3,045

    Posted On:
    1/20/2010 12:49pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muerteds View Post
    Logic fails for you, doesn't it?
    That's rich, coming from you.
  3. kenikim is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    hogtown
    Posts
    342

    Posted On:
    1/20/2010 1:03pm


     Style: Christopher Hitchens-do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muerteds View Post
    Not at all. You should read what I wrote. I like competition. I do far too little of it, as I have too few opportunities for it. The type of gi I face doesn't matter to me because I don't put such a high value on using every edge I can can to assure my victory. I will do everything in my power to win. If you do something I cannot change (put on a funky gi), I won't worry about it. Even if I succeed in throwing or pinning you, I might still get a bad call and lose the match. But if I learn from what worked, then I feel I'm progressing.
    What part of the concept of "no" were you unclear on? I do not care if my competitor has ultra short sleeves and a fabric softened gi. On the plus side, he'll be snuggly soft, and I can feel his strong, burly arms under my direct grip. On the downside, I'm likely to rip out his arm air.

    Really, I'm not sure how to be more clear here. Standardization is always a move to cater to the lowest common denominator in a given group. There is a balance between generally accepted practices, and defining how the warp and weft of a fabric must lie in relation to the floor. In this case, the IJF is catering to the lowest common denominator possible by defining the make-up of a gi in minutiae. It's silly, and mostly it's a money grab to solve a non-existent problem.

    Logic fails for you, doesn't it?
    ya, i am clearly in the wrong. i've wasted my time arguing with someone who is bent on being stubborn just for the sake of being stubborn. you have turned a debate into an brash argument. you have already made up your mind and are replying with with sheer non-sense.
  4. Lu Tze is offline

    BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    W. Yorks, UK
    Posts
    5,018

    Posted On:
    1/20/2010 2:34pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was/is a legitimate problem Muerteds, in fact Neil Adams comments on it in grips masterclass.

    Standards are already in place though, precisely because gamesmanship with the gi got so bad (watch a Judo match from the 80s), so what exactly is the point of this "IJF certification" thing?
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 1/20/2010 2:39pm at .
  5. FictionPimp is offline

    Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,147

    Posted On:
    1/20/2010 2:46pm


     Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I think maybe you've confused the words shorter and smaller.
    Exactly.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki
  6. Muerteds is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI (Hawaii Kai)
    Posts
    443

    Posted On:
    1/20/2010 3:45pm


     Style: Itinerant Wanderer

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    Standards are already in place though, precisely because gamesmanship with the gi got so bad (watch a Judo match from the 80s), so what exactly is the point of this "IJF certification" thing?

    You win a gold star. We have standards in place. At last year's Alaska State Judo tournament, they brought out those funky little plastic calipers. These further regulations delve into the realm of micro-managing (and money-grubbing).

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenikim
    you have already made up your mind and are replying with with sheer non-sense.
    I can't help you if you don't read. I've outlined my arguments, and presented them in a pretty straightforward manner. I haven't yet begun to get to nonsense. I give this thread another 3 pages before we get to that.
  7. oplus is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    119

    Posted On:
    5/06/2010 2:12am


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeez, a lot of bile being tossed back and forth. Yeh, we've got logical disconnects here, but there's no need to come to blows. That's for atemi waza MAs =D

    After reading all 6 pages of this instead of studying for finals (don't take me seriously, I obviously have no logic), while I do agree that the $50k sum is a burning piece of bullshido, the idea of standardization is still a good one, and I have to side with the IJF's standardization, even if I hate their execution to death.

    Quote Originally Posted by Muerteds View Post
    Should we add height categories to equalize that as well? Of course not.
    We don't have to directly equalize height. We equalize weight, which is probably (albeit arguably) more important, and has a moderately equalizing effect on height itself. It's exactly this equalization that Judo should aspire to: nothing, NOTHING but the Judokas' musculature, mentalities, and technique should matter.

    Yes, good technique will overcome a good gi. But I think it'd be better for the sport if gis were standardized so that Judoka could spend their time defeating said musculature, mentality, and technique rather than equipment.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.