Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    None Yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ninjitsu schools in AZ and So Cal?

Can anyone provide a list of credible Ninjitsu schools in Arizona, and in Southern California? Please list only actual brick and mortar schools (e.g. none of these "We meet at the city park on Mondays and Wednesdays and charge $125 per month" group of weirdos.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why Ninjutsu?

Because honestly, unless your goal is to "play ninja" there are better Martial Arts for what you want to do.

Style
    None Yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Why Ninjutsu?

Because honestly, unless your goal is to "play ninja" there are better Martial Arts for what you want to do.
    Really? Well I am definitely open to suggestions!

In the past I had narrowed it down to either BJJ or Saito Ninjitsu.

However, the school teaching Saito Ninjitsu is no longer open, and BJJ only teaches ground fighting from what I understand, so I would also have to learn another form of striking art.

Here is what I want out of a martial art: I basically want to learn to fight, I dont really care about any of the philosophical/spiritual aspect that so many martial arts teach. I want to learn how to defend myself and my family in the event of a street fight. I want "real life combat skills" that I can use in a realistic encounter.
    For example, if Im walking with my family in a parking lot at night and some guy tries to attack us, I want to be able to beat his ass. I want to knock his ass out cold, so he cant get back up, so that we can safely get away. I want fighting skills that will actually help me in a real world encounter. Thats one of the reasons I was so attracted to BJJ, because almost all fights end up on the ground. If BJJ had striking, I would probably have started already.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If not learning strikes in BJJ is a big problem for you sign up for MMA.

And for Christ's sake stop it with the goddamn ninjutsu already.

Style
    StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DHume View Post
    Really? Well I am definitely open to suggestions!

In the past I had narrowed it down to either BJJ or Saito Ninjitsu.

However, the school teaching Saito Ninjitsu is no longer open, and BJJ only teaches ground fighting from what I understand, so I would also have to learn another form of striking art.

Here is what I want out of a martial art: I basically want to learn to fight, I dont really care about any of the philosophical/spiritual aspect that so many martial arts teach. I want to learn how to defend myself and my family in the event of a street fight. I want "real life combat skills" that I can use in a realistic encounter.
    For example, if Im walking with my family in a parking lot at night and some guy tries to attack us, I want to be able to beat his ass. I want to knock his ass out cold, so he cant get back up, so that we can safely get away. I want fighting skills that will actually help me in a real world encounter. Thats one of the reasons I was so attracted to BJJ, because almost all fights end up on the ground. If BJJ had striking, I would probably have started already.

I appreciate any suggestions!
    Boxing + Judo. You wanna learn something that will help you take a guy out WHILE WITH YOUR FAMILY... it's a good idea to stay vertical. You'll learn a bit of ground in judo, more than enough for the average situation. If you're looking to need to protect others, BJJ probably isn't the first choice. It's great stuff, but it's not better than judo, for your requirements.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Style
    None Yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's cool but I want to learn it all in one place, any suggestions for a specific art?

Style
    Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get a gun.
    Learn to use it.

Don't shoot your dick off.

^Best realistic form of self defense, if you are truly worried about random attacks in parking lots and having to protect your family from crazy people. That's the only "one place" you need to look in.

If it's martial arts you have your heart set on, than MMA and Sambo are the only ones that come to mind which properly combine striking and ground, and have good quality control.
    Unless you find a gym that has classes for both BJJ and Muay Thai for example.

Maybe you should post what's available in your area and people here will give you their opinion.

Edit: shouldn't this be moved to newbietown?
    Last edited by Gidi; 5/03/2010 4:53am at . Reason: adding the question

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"
    Style
    CMA, MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If real ninjutsu exists somewhere, the dude down the street who wears a patch-encrusted black gi teaching a public "ninjer" class certainly don't got it.

You will not learn how to defend your family in such a Ninjer class. You probably won't learn how to defend yourself, either.

They tend to lack Aliveness, and their techniques are usually watered down Aikido, outdated RBSD manuals, etc.

Style
    JJJ/JKD/Kali/Combatives
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    where, in Arizona, are you located?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last