Administrator

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 11:39pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by J-Lau

Stop wasting yuour time (because thats what you are doing) trying to train for multiple opponents, and focus on one person.
    Damn Boy! I remember reading your posts on the UG, and damn glad you hang around these parts.

Those words, are the damn truth, and nothing but the truth!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
  4. 9chambers

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 11:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    .. parallelogram maybe .. no ..

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    2/13/2004 1:42am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just look at the Randori in Aikido, very effective agains multiple opponants.
    You're going to give me seizures posting this crap.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    2/13/2004 2:27am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by PHILBERT
    The Wastrel, actually I did think about what if I were the guy on the bottom.

On top, I'd get off and kick him then get the **** outta there in case he has buddies.

On bottom, I'd have to be there to know, see how he is throwing the punches, if they are straight punches, wild punches, hooks, etc and then attempt to get him off of me. Or just try punching him.
    If you're mounted you can't punch the person on top with any effect. The article doesn't really make a point about groundfighting being bad at all. In fact if the guy who ended up on the bottom knew ground fighting he probably should have:

1) Hugged the guy on top closely to stop the effect of the blows.
    2) Attempt to grap an arm and leg and bridge and roll out.
    3) If the bridge failed then do a basic elbow knee escape.
    4) Repeat basic steps 1-3 until success is achieved.

If he could do all three of those very basic things he could have gotten up faster to defend himself.

If the guy on top was more savvy he could have assumed the knee on stomach position to rain punches down on the bottom man. This way when his buddies came in he could have gotten up quickly to fend them off.

There are so many scenarios and responses to this situation that saying "SO much for groundfighting..." is really non-sense. What would the Kung Fu masters out there do? Sticky Hands? Trapping? Centerline defense and counterstrikes? How would that be any better than knowing basic mount escapes?

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    2/13/2004 3:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once again katana, an excellent point is made. So what? If the poor sod on the ground being pounded by the larger attacker was more skilled in groundfighting he could have had more success.But this article by no means shows groundfighting as ineffective.If anything it highlights the importance of knowing how to defend oneself on the ground. I've seen examples of martial artists who do stand up striking arts defeated by multiple attackers.It is very hard,even if you are a highly trained combatant to defend against three attackers kicking and punching you all at once.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567