Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 1:51am

Style: Delusional Idiocy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    they tend to be abandoned in competition in favour of more direct, less disengagible methods. People "throw away the 'useless'" a la bruce without ever knowing its value.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 2:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you do realise im not just referring to aikido techniques don't you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 2:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    moving or throwing people into each other from standing? i've seen that in like almost everything.

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 7:36am

Style: Im a Lover, not a fighter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "While training in EPAK (at my school at least) we trained OFTEN to defend so that it places your opponent between you and other people. We're taught to keep aware of our surroundings, and black/white dot focus. Some arts DO train for multiple attacks, people sneaking up behind you, and being aware of your surroundings."

Stop wasting yuour time (because thats what you are doing) trying to train for multiple opponents, and focus on one person.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 10:39am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it does help reaction time, but the thing is, you would probably need a good while of training in that specifically to be any good at it.

Just look at the Randori in Aikido, very effective agains multiple opponants

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 10:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Shug
    it does help reaction time, but the thing is, you would probably need a good while of training in that specifically to be any good at it.

Just look at the Randori in Aikido, very effective agains multiple opponants
    Actually, as I just mentioned in the Multiples thread, I don't think aikido is particularly more effective against multiple openents. The multi-person randori is a useful training tool, but ultimately trains the same common-sense principles that any other legitimate art espouses -- Namely, control the line of attack and keep the guy your working on between you and the others.

I agree, in principle, with J-Lau, it's more important to be good at taking on one person in an effective manner.

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 4:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 5:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a different version of the story I made up and wrote myself, I think it makes a whole lot more sense.

Was in Dallas last Saturday in Deep Ellum (at a club called The Bone) listening to a pretty good DJ, chillin' with my girl, sipping some Rum and Coke when several people began to rush outside. Of course if you've been to many bars/clubs, you usually know what that means...

I decided to go check it out, and voilla, a fight. This really big dude was hammering away on this one guy when out of the blue some guy rushed in from the side and tackled the big guy right in the ribs knocking him to the ground, and in a split second, ANOTHER guy kicked him in the ear (side of the head). It was pretty much ground and pound from there, a couple of more guys kicked the big guy a few times before some people (bouncers maybe?) pulled the big guy up and everyone went their own ways...

My question is this: how great IS ANY MARTIAL ART in a situation like this? Don't get me wrong, I've spent some time on the mat and the ring myself, but it made me seriously think about it. You always hear martial artists argue about what would happen if there were more than one person, but until you actually SEE something like this it really sets in...what makes it worse is the guys that jumped in weren't even the smaller guy's friends, just some guys wanting to practice their skills I guess???

Just thought I'd share this with the rest of the board.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 10:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems to me that maybe what might be needed is some kind of combination martial art. It would combine stand-up and ground fighting. One way to acquire such an art would be to train with people who specialize in both stand-up and ground, and integrate the methods they teach. Then, supplement that training with weight training and other forms of exercise, so that you'll be able to fight or run when necessary. AND, if you also desire a spiritual/body/mind/relaxation componant, take some sort of standing, sitting, or moving meditation class. This would merge into some sort of super martial art, that could be called, hm, I don't know...
    Common-fucking-sense-fu.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 10:34pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by MadeOfOlives
    It seems to me that maybe what might be needed is some kind of combination martial art. It would combine stand-up and ground fighting. One way to acquire such an art would be to train with people who specialize in both stand-up and ground, and integrate the methods they teach. Then, supplement that training with weight training and other forms of exercise, so that you'll be able to fight or run when necessary. AND, if you also desire a spiritual/body/mind/relaxation componant, take some sort of standing, sitting, or moving meditation class. This would merge into some sort of super martial art, that could be called, hm, I don't know...
    Common-fucking-sense-fu.
    Yes, you could learn from the best, most proven fighters in striking and grappling. Then you could have limited or no rules matches putting this style up against others, just in case. Perhaps in some sort of cage?

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast