Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 7:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Strikeforce Negotiating With Josh Barnett

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...0438&zoneid=13

Strikeforce officials has been very aggressive in growing their roster ever since striking a multi-year agreement in early 2009 to provide mixed martial arts events on both Showtime and CBS. And they’re not slowing down.

Strikeforce has landed prized free agent Fedor Emelianenko, his stable mate Gegard Mousasi, former WWE star Bobby Lashley, NFL and Olympic veteran Herschel Walker, and most recently former Pride champion and UFC star Dan Henderson, among others.

Now promotion officials are in talks with two more high profile fighters in Roger Huerta and Josh Barnett.

Huerta on Thursday night posted on his Twitter account, “My manager @jeffclarkmma and I met with scott coker and Richard Chou with strikeforce on monday. So I believe this is where...”

MMAWeekly.com confirmed with independent sources that negotiations are ongoing with Huerta, but the two sides are still at a chasm over compensation. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has already shown, however, his expertise in landing high priced free agents with creative contracts.

Huerta (20-3-1) hasn’t fought since September of last year, when he lost a split decision to Gray Maynard. He maintains strong name recognition due to his go for broke style of fighting and G Q looks.

Barnett (24-5) has been out of the loop since failing a drug test for re-licensure in California for a scheduled bout with Fedor. He is actively pursuing an appeal, but has yet to go before the California State Athletic Commission.

“I had no reason to believe there would be any issues and went in to submit my (urine sample for testing) at the earliest possible opportunity... I never once thought there would be a problem,” Barnett said following the allegations.

"My representatives and I are working to gather as much info as possible and handle this situation as best as we can.”

Sources put Barnett in the midst of ongoing negotiations with Strikeforce, but like Huerta, the two sides have yet to reach agreement on compensation.

Barnett is currently on a four-fight winning streak, defeating Hidehiko Yoshida, Pedro Rizzo, Jeff Monson, and Gilbert Yvel.

Barnett’s signing would be a key addition to one of Strikeforce’s strongest divisions. Aside from Fedor, the Strikeforce heavyweight division already boasts champion Alistair Overeem, Fabricio Werdum, Brett Rogers, and Antonio Silva.

Strikeforce has also had talks with former UFC champion Andre Arlovski, but industry sources indicated that those talks may have stalled out. Arlovski is currently on a two-fight skid, losing to Fedor and Rogers, after a five-fight winning streak.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 1:20pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Barnett would be a welcomed addition to Strikeforce. Providing of course he refrains from substance abuse.

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 3:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by snakerattle79 View Post
    Olympic veteran Herschel Walker
    I for one cannot wait to see how Walker's Olympic-level bobsled skills translate into MMA.

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 4:40pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    I for one cannot wait to see how Walker's Olympic-level bobsled skills translate into MMA.
    Dude has a sixth degree black belt in TKD. Don't **** with him yo.

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 5:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MSphinx View Post
    Dude has a sixth degree black belt in TKD. Don't **** with him yo.
    I'm sure he's a tough guy, despite his age. But why not "fomer NFLer" or even "sixth degree black belt" rather than "Olympic veteran"?

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 9:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if I care about Josh anymore after getting busted... again.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 10:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosexmachina View Post
    I don't know if I care about Josh anymore after getting busted... again.
    Roids or not Josh is a good fighter. If he gets cleared to fight in the US again, I think he will once again be relevant on the HW scene.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    1/10/2010 12:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Josh Barnett taught me that Gilbert Yvel is one of the best under mount boxers in the world.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2010 9:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well you would think that the UFC will be putting everything into getting rid of strikeforce now (assuming that their effort up to now is not their hardest and I suspect that it isn't).