supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty View Post

Further looking around provided these guys:
    http://www.combatsombo.co.uk/combatsombo_usa.htm

COMBATSOMBO USA

I am please to introduce two more International Members from the USA who have joined our Family of COMBATSOMBO Practitioners both have been graded by myself Martin Clarke the Founder of COMBATSOMBO to 3rd Degree Black Belt. Both have my permission to grade to 1st Degree

Master Frank Fuller,

Started martial arts in the mid 1980s and have founded a system called Hoshin Kwon Bup, essentially a style of Korean Kenpo that is also recognized in Korea as well. I have trained in various Korean and Japanese systems over my time in the arts and also hold instructor ranks in several others, such as Jeet Kune Do and Krav Maga. I competed periodically in forms and sparring competitions in my younger days and have taught classes and developed black belts at various locations, primarily at university recreation centres and martial arts schools. I have also been elected to several Halls of Fame in recent years for my contributions.

Founder Hoshin Kwon Bup
    5th Dan jujutsu
    4th Dan judo
    3rd degree COMBATSOMBO
    Instructor--Jeet Kune Do
    Instructor--Krav Maga

Master James Eddings
    I have spent my life practicing and researching the Martial Arts. I have taught civilians, law enforcement and military. I believe in keeping alive the combative aspects of martial arts, the ancient skills that have stood the test of time, and the evolving science of training. I have attained rank in several styles of martial arts and combative systems including, among others:

10th Dan Nihon Kempo
    5th Dan Judo
    3rd Degree COMBATSOMBO
    Sifu-Jeet Kune Do
    Instructor-Krav Maga
    www.freewebs.com/vagabondarts

Carl Lee Tolbert
    Ranks
    1st Dan Judo
    1st Degree Combatsombo
    Blue belt 4 stripes BJJ (WBJJA Instructor)
    10+ years freestyle and Greco wrestling
    www.aplusmartialarts.net
    Bio,

While serving in the US Navy, Mr. Tolbert’s first experience with Sombo comes from his Judo club in Japan. (He subsequently spent a decade as brown belt in Judo and finally tested for Black Belt under Grandmaster Yoon in early 2009.) In Japan after the Cold War, there were few Eastern European sailors that had trained in Sombo in their home Countries of Belarus and Lithuania. They introduced Mr. Tolbert to Sombo and helped him see how powerful this martial art could be; applied either as a sport or self defence art. The same was true for their influence on his Judo techniques. After leaving Japan and the Navy in 95, he worked out in various grappling and boxing programs in Ohio, North Carolina, and Georgia.
    He started training BJJ in 2003, and now instructs under Thadeu Vieira of the WBJJA. He continues to be a student and teacher and brings inspiration and technical expertise to his students at A Plus Martial Arts in Woodstock, GA.
    There are several things about the above that worry me, but I will focus on what is directly verifiable.

Mr Fuller claims yondan in Judo, which is significant rank. Using USA Judo's criteria one would have to satisfy the following in order to recieve that rank:
    Quote Originally Posted by USA JUDO
    Yondan: Candidates must demonstrate:
      1. a) unquestioned moral character and maturity,

2. b) continued practice and involvement in Judo,

3. c) minimum knowledge and skills in both randori and sutegelko practice,

4. d) increased proficiency in all lower rank requirements and in contest record,

5. e) minimum of USJI N-1 referee’s license,

6. f) proficient in Nage-no-kata or Ju-no-kata, Katame-no-kata, and Kime-no-kata or KDK Goshin-jitsu.
    These are not insiginificant requirements.

I attempted to verify this rank with both USA Judo and USJA. neither has any record of Mr Fuller. Now this, in and of itself, does not mean Mr Fuller has no rank in Judo. What it means is that he has (at most) "Dojo rank", the quality of which varies, and would depend upon the reputation of his coach, and the quality and quantity of competition Mr Fuller has engaged in. In short, Mr Fuller would have to put his Dojo paper up for public viewing in order for a determination to be made.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 2:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I want to add that "COMBATSOMBO" is extremely deceptive, along the lines of "BRAZILLIANJIUJITSU™" or "KODOKANJUDO™" or even "AMATEURBOXING™"

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 2:26pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking Fuller:

http://www.breu.com/ibs/sokeship/Fuller/index.html

Short Bio:

I started martial arts in the mid 1980s and have founded a system called Hoshin Kwon Bup, essentially a style of Korean kenpo that is also recognized in Korea as well. I have trained in various Korean and Japanese systems over my time in the arts and also hold instructor ranks in several others, such as Jeet Kune Do and kali-silat. I competed periodically in forms and sparring competitions in my younger days and have taught classes and developed black belts at various locations, primarily at university recreation centers and schools in the Atlanta metropolitan area. I have also been elected to several Halls of Fame in recent years for my contributions.

I am currently considering an academic career once I complete my doctoral studies in political science. My areas of specialization are international relations, comparative politics, East Asian studies, terrorism, and American politics. I have traveled to over 15 countries, have published books and articles in scholarly journals, and have presented academic papers at domestic and international conferences. My other hobbies include playing piano, reading, and researching international political issues.

Founder/Dojunim - 9th Dan Hoshin Kwon Bup

Short Style Description:

Hoshin Kwon Bup is an accumulation of extensive training and experiences of mine and was first developed in 2008 as a form of Kwon Bup (Korean Kenpo), developing into Hoshin Kwon Bup, which is a compilation of my considerable Korean Martial Arts experiences. The core techniques are taken from Ho Shin Do, a modern Korean form of self defense of my instructors, which has a strong core in Korean Kenpo, Tae Kwon Do, and Hapkido, and Tang Soo Do (Korean Karate). Hoshin Kwon Bup and other systems are currently being taught through the International Fellowship of Martial Artists, an organization which I founded to help spread and propagate martial arts in general. I started training in 1986, when I began going in the direction of developing myself and learning self-defense-oriented techniques. At that time I performed on a demonstration team in the Atlanta area and later competed in several tournaments. I also assisted with teaching classes. However, I preferred teaching to earning trophies and wanted more realistic martial arts goals, so I focused on realistic self-defense and combative maneuvers, beginning my quest for the most practical martial arts approaches to gain a better sense of self-awareness in critical, life-threatening situations.

Other Graduations:

9th Degree Hoshin Kwon Bup
    5th Degree Ho Shin Do
    Instructor Jeet Kune Do
    Instructor Kali-Silat
    Fuller's ranks as per the combatsombo usa site:
    http://www.combatsombo.co.uk/combatsombo_usa.htm

Founder Hoshin Kwon Bup
    5th Dan jujutsu
    4th Dan judo
    3rd degree COMBATSOMBO
    Instructor--Jeet Kune Do
    Instructor--Krav Maga
    different bios...
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 2:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is more on Fuller:

http://www.victorymartialartscouncil..._announcements
    From 2010 announcements:

CONGRATULATIONS MASTER FRANK FULLER ON YOUR PROMOTIONS IN JUJITSU: 7TH DAN, KOGA RYU NINJUTSU: 5TH DAN, VEE ARNIS JITSU: 5TH DAN, AND VEE JITSU JU JITSU: 5TH DAN!
    This guy is collecting ranks...LOL
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He has got a book published called
    Examining the International Political Arena: A Collection of Studies.

The publishers were VDM Verlag Dr. Müller, who you can read about here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDM_Publishing

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/21/2010 9:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently his is getting his PhD in poltical science...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 6:20am

Style: Parkour, BJJ and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IIF.

My bad man, I guess I was wrong here. I'll admit my mistakes on the matter. A mix of stupidity and frustration, as well as an inability to back down over the internet led me to pursue an incorrect argument.

Not to sound like a suck up or anything, but I will admit I was wrong about the belt ranking system thing.

Would have said it earlier, but sometimes it's hard to eat your own words, especially to some internet nobody. I mean, what do you know? :)

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/23/2010 1:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RealManOfSteel View Post
    IIF.

My bad man, I guess I was wrong here. I'll admit my mistakes on the matter. A mix of stupidity and frustration, as well as an inability to back down over the internet led me to pursue an incorrect argument.

Not to sound like a suck up or anything, but I will admit I was wrong about the belt ranking system thing.

Would have said it earlier, but sometimes it's hard to eat your own words, especially to some internet nobody. I mean, what do you know? :)
    No worries man :)

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/26/2010 12:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OMG...OK, here is a great bit of revisionist history from Clarke's blog. FYI everyone the soviet union collapsed in 1985! Try not to get too confused reading this. But, at least we know CombatSombo is not sambo...LOL

http://combatarts.blogspot.com/2010/...hat-is-it.html

Every few years I have to remind people what is CombatSombo and the fact I developed the system. Yes the fact that I say I am the inventor of the system seems to upset some so called experts, who continue to maintain that CombatSombo is a Russian style of Martial Art. So let me correct some of the misunderstanding yes I have used the Sombo as part of my name solely because I use much of the grappling techniques of Sombo and Judo in my style and putting the word Combat in front of name is not unusual I believed I was the first to do this some 20 odd years ago but I was corrected as someone from the USA back in the 1950’s used Combat Judo. Sambo is a Russian Self defence Sport and was started in the early 1900’s and I am very active with International Sambo and FIAS being placed in the Top 10 of the most influential people in the World for Sambo. Pre the break-up of the USSR the word Sambo meant all concepts Sport and Military self-defence, with the collapse of Communism many ex soviets wanted to make money from their expertise. The first time the Self Defence of Sombo was seen was in the USA and was called Military Sambo several magazine carried articles eventually they realised my name was more suitable I refused them permission to use the word CombatSombo because I wanted to keep control, they eventually used the word Combat Sambo. Now when I registered the name in 1988 with the British Trade Marks Registry I stupidly only registered it the UK not World Wide but I can stop people in the UK using the word CombatSombo or wording similar i.e. CombatSambo, Combat Sombo. Combat Sambo something I have done on a few occasions and something I will continue to do.
    So why am I so paranoid about the name CombatSombo well quite simply it is my Philosophical approach to it (please read below) this make it entirely different from the Russian Combat Sambo who system is extremely more violent and more suited to the Military a very effective system if you are a Soldier but I want to teach CombatSombo as an educational system to make better human beings so the two styles are not compatible. Some people use the word Sambo Combat which I think distinguishes the difference a lot better. Finally CombatSombo was accepted by the World Governing Body FIAS in 1988, the first FIAS Combat Sambo Commission was started in 1992, something I was invited to serve on but I declined, The Soviet Union Collapsed in 1985 I started CombatSombo in the 1983.
    So is CombatSombo big in the UK No it is very small and that is intentionally I have only trusted a few people to carry on my work here but over the last 8 years I have suffered with bad knee and hip and have been restricted to walking with a stick. The good news in February 2009 I had a new knee and March 2010 I had a new hip and now I am in fine fettle, I am back teaching Sport CombatSombo, Sombo Wrestling and in September will be starting CombatSombo classes, plus I will be teaching at the annual Summer camp and hope to run CombatSombo Instructors course in December.

CombatSombo Philosophy

As you can see by my cv which is enclosed I have been involved in the Martial Arts/Combat Disciplines since the age of 5 (1955) 46 years all told. I have always enjoyed the competitive side of Combat and I have won medals at international and national level at Judo, Sombo, Jiu Jitsu and Free Style Wrestling. I have also been a keen advocate of the Founder of Judo Jigaro Kano, in one of books he made the following statement “Judo is more than just a sport or Martial Art, it is a means of Physical and Cultural Attainment” in other words “it is a way of producing better human beings” I apply this philosophy to all my Martial Arts and Combat Disciplines. Grappling sports I feel help you achieve this by teaching us such simple things as:

Respect (all grapplers have respect for there opponent, note I use the word opponent not enemy, they may not always realise it)
    Duty of care (this is a must as if some of the techniques are very dangerous that we could damage our opponent. This is not we trying to do we are trying to win but not at the expense of an injury).
    To abide by the rules (competitions have rules not only to keep the activity as safe as possible but to make contest equal)
    Comradeship.

In my CombatSombo system I try and introduce people to a Self Defence system that has a set of morals. Unlike other systems I advocate control and restraint. My aim is not to turn people into Barbaric Animals with no consideration for others. After saying all this I am a practical man, I realise that self-defence has different degrees. Dealing with a drunk is different to dealing with several assailants with weapons. Although my system teaches techniques that can maim, they are only to be used in extreme cases. Remember no one has the right to cause life long disablement to another human being.

To do CombatSombo you need to be healthy and fit, we encourage our members to take regular excise and grapple on a regular basis. To understand any self-defence you need to practise in as near real situation as you get. To advise any one to get involved in a Pub fight to test their techniques would be immoral and irresponsible, so the nearest I can offer is some sort of controlled fighting, i.e. CombatSombo Wrestling, Boxing, Kickboxing. Remember there is no easy route to becoming a proficient CombatSombo Practitioner.

CombatSombo is a Self Defence system with a HEART

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/26/2010 12:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by parody
    Every few years I have to remind people what is BrazilianJiujitsu and the fact I developed the system. Yes the fact that I say I am the inventor of the system seems to upset some so called experts, who continue to maintain that BrazilianJiujitsu is a Brazilian style of Martial Art. So let me correct some of the misunderstanding yes I have used the jiu-jitsu as part of my name solely because I use much of the grappling techniques of jiu-jitsu and Judo in my style and putting the word Brazilian in front of name is not unusual I believed I was the first to do this some 20 odd years ago but I was corrected as someone from the USA back in the 1950’s used Brazilian Judo. Jiu-Jitsu is a Brazilian Self defence Sport and was started in the early 1900’s and I am very active with International Jiu-Jitsu and FIAS being placed in the Top 10 of the most influential people in the World for Jiu-Jitsu. Pre the break-up of the Latin America the word Jiu-Jitsu meant all concepts Sport and Military self-defence, with the collapse of Narco-Capitalism many ex Brazilians wanted to make money from their expertise. The first time the Self Defence of jiu-jitsu was seen was in the USA and was called Military Zhoo-Zhitsu several magazine carried articles eventually they realised my name was more suitable I refused them permission to use the word BrazilianJiujitsu because I wanted to keep control, they eventually used the word Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Now when I registered the name in 1988 with the British Trade Marks Registry I stupidly only registered it the UK not World Wide but I can stop people in the UK using the word BrazilianJiujitsu or wording similar i.e. BrazilianJuJutsu, Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu something I have done on a few occasions and something I will continue to do.
    So why am I so paranoid about the name BrazilianJiujitsu well quite simply it is my Philosophical approach to it (please read below) this make it entirely different from the Brazilian Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu who system is extremely more violent and more suited to the Military a very effective system if you are a Soldier but I want to teach BrazilianJiujitsu as an educational system to make better human beings so the two styles are not compatible. Some people use the word ZhooZhitsu Brazilian which I think distinguishes the difference a lot better. Finally BrazilianJiujitsu was accepted by the World Governing Body FIAS in 1988, the first FIAS Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Commission was started in 1992, something I was invited to serve on but I declined, Narco-Capitalism Collapsed in 1985 I started BrazilianJiujitsu in the 1983.
    So is BrazilianJiujitsu big in the UK No it is very small and that is intentionally I have only trusted a few people to carry on my work here but over the last 8 years I have suffered with bad knee and hip and have been restricted to walking with a stick. The good news in February 2009 I had a new knee and March 2010 I had a new hip and now I am in fine fettle, I am back teaching Sport BrazilianJiujitsu, jiu-jitsu Wrestling and in September will be starting BrazilianJiujitsu classes, plus I will be teaching at the annual Summer camp and hope to run BrazilianJiujitsu Instructors course in December.
    BrazilianJiujitsu Philosophy
    As you can see by my cv which is enclosed I have been involved in the Martial Arts/Brazilian Disciplines since the age of 5 (1955) 46 years all told. I have always enjoyed the competitive side of BJJ and I have won medals at international and national level at Judo, SAMBO, Latin Samba, Combat Samba and Free Style Snow Boarding. I have also been a keen advocate of the Founder of Judo Jigaro Kano, in one of books he made the following statement “Judo is more than just a sport or Martial Art, it is a means of Physical and Cultural Attainment” in other words “it is a way of producing better human beings” I apply this philosophy to all my Martial Arts and Brazilian Disciplines. Grappling sports I feel help you achieve this by teaching us such simple things as:
    Respect (all grapplers have respect for there opponent, note I use the word opponent not enemy, they may not always realise it)
    Duty of care (this is a must as if some of the techniques are very dangerous that we could damage our opponent. This is not we trying to do we are trying to win but not at the expense of an injury).
    To abide by the rules (competitions have rules not only to keep the activity as safe as possible but to make contest equal)
    Comradeship.
    In my BrazilianJiujitsu system I try and introduce people to a Self Defence system that has a set of morals. Unlike other systems I advocate control and restraint. My aim is not to turn people into Barbaric Animals™ with no consideration for others. After saying all this I am a practical man, I realise that self-defence has different degrees. Dealing with a drunk is different to dealing with several assailants with weapons. Although my system teaches techniques that can maim, they are only to be used in extreme cases. Remember no one has the right to cause life long disablement to another human being.
    To do BrazilianJiujitsu you need to be healthy and fit, we encourage our members to take regular excise and grapple on a regular basis. To understand any self-defence you need to practise in as near real situation as you get. To advise any one to get involved in a Pub fight to test their techniques would be immoral and irresponsible, so the nearest I can offer is some sort of controlled fighting, i.e. BrazilianJiujitsu Wrestling, Boxing, Kickboxing. Remember there is no easy route to becoming a proficient BrazilianJiujitsu Practitioner.

BrazilianJiujitsu is a Self Defence system with a HEART
    Fixed.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 4/26/2010 12:38pm at .

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast