Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know I've stated this before, but I am very proud of my black belt in SAMBO. I know it's only an in house rank and that many people think it's silly since the broader SAMBO community doesn't have ranking, but it's not an easy rank to get from my school.

I can understanding schools/styles adopting a belt system, it makes it easier to distinguish a hierarchy and it also helps keep people motivated. I suppose as long as people are clear on what your getting with a belt, do what works best for your school.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/19/2010 9:36pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anaconda,

The fact that you don't advertise it is a good thing (BTW, you are not on Martin's website). But, many others are not as ethical as you. Training by distance is an option when stuff is not available...especially if you have a place and coach to train what you learn with.

My problem is folks who get such ranks, boast, promote them, etc. Obviously not you. In the best world, Martin would simply help people train, not give them ranks. But, Martin is Martin. He has his fingers in MANY pots and is trying to make a buck where he can. Sometimes the goal of the student is to learn, but the goal of the seller is to make $$$.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 5:34am

Style: Parkour, BJJ and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @IIF.

Yeah but you can't really use this forum as poster child for good schools. We are all here for the same reason, alive effective training. LARPing poseurs don't usually last long.

Obviously the more unscrupulous martial artists will soon flood legitimate schools, with their superior advertising budget, and promises of something they can use to show off, a black belt.

But anyway, I fear I am derailing this thread somewhat, in future I'll keep the squabbling to YMAS.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 7:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnacondaMMA View Post
    Nice. Name calling. The great forum equalizer. I'm speaking from over 17 years of experience as a martial artist, fighter, and instructor. Kata is not something that I think is worth spending too much time on. Yes, it "contains the movements and techniques of the art" and all that. Not my cup of tea. Spend an hour on kata and an hour rolling with a partner and then tell me what taught you more. Personally, I'm not a huge fan. Always seemed that kata was what the old, fat guys and kids did to make themselves feel important in their freshly starched gis. I'm stealing this from a previous post, but I don't think martial arts is about doing a kata in a stars and stripes hakama with neon kamas to the theme from Mortal Kombat on ESPN (The Ocho) at 4:00 AM in the morning. If you want to do kata, then God bless you. Hope you enjoy it. It's not for me, but, I did spend 4 years training in Bujinkan Taijutsu, so I'm the last person to cast any stones.

As far as Martin Clarke; no, I am not on his website, nor do I use ANY of his assorted rankings or organizations in connection with my school. I simply think that if a Sambist of his ability and caliber will take the time to offer coaching and critique to me, then I'm all for it. (At least until we convince sambosteve to open that new Sambo school of his out here in East Jesus, MO). I say take advantage of any resources that are out there, just don't be a douchebag about it.
    Your experience is not relevant...except that it brought you to your own personal conclusion. And, nobody is talking about stars and stripes hakama here. Some people find kata worth while, so be it. Besides, you used to compete in Kata, right? You value it enough to put in your bio and apparently were good enough to win a tournament. Maybe you have given that stuff up, but it did get you (in part) where you are today.

Odd about not being on Martin's website. When did you affiliate with him?

But, back to the topic at hand (which is not kata)...Can you share the process he asks of his distance affiliates? It would be nice to know in terms of this thread.

BTW, I think you are taking things a bit too personally. This is bullshido, welcome aboard.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 9:40am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RealManOfSteel View Post
    @IIF.

Yeah but you can't really use this forum as poster child for good schools.
    Do you pull these debates out of your butt? You made a claim and I gave you specific names to prove that in house rankings, that are legit, exist EVERYWHERE. That is it.

Many of these schools are not affiliated with any organization. Again an organization does not ensure the validity of training. It has nothing to do with "using this forum...blah blah blah."

You made a comment, that you didn't think through, and now you are defending it with straw man arguments.

You have two respected Samboist that disagree on rankings IN Sambo. Notice, neither one said in house ranks are not legit. No one. That is my issue with your posts. The issue IMO is non-competition. If I have an in house ranking system and they compete at an elite level THAT legitimizes my in house ranking.

We are all here for the same reason, alive effective training.
    Actually, Im' here to have fun, bust frauds, and discuss Martial Arts. If I pick up tips that's great. If not, that's great as well.

There are people here, who help, that don't train Martial arts.

You are making generalizations again.

LARPing poseurs don't usually last long.
    Yeah, They do. That's why this forum exists. Mcdojoism/Bullshido started because, of things like Gracie university and this online Sambo certification.

Obviously the more unscrupulous martial artists will soon flood legitimate schools, with their superior advertising budget, and promises of something they can use to show off, a black belt.
    Dude you need to stop. You lost your point somewhere. One of the reasons this website exists is because of this very thing. I think you need to lurk, again, and re-read the website.

But anyway, I fear I am derailing this thread somewhat, in future I'll keep the squabbling to YMAS.
    No, you just need to understand what you are talking about.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 4/20/2010 9:43am at .

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 9:43am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ *pushups*
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 10:15am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ Anaconda

I'm speaking from over 17 years of experience as a martial artist, fighter, and instructor
    Hey man, I just looked on your profile for a breakdown of your experience and noticed you haven't done it yet (see my "about me" for an example of what I mean). It would help a lot to know what you are refering to here.

Not saying you're included in this group, but we have had guys claiming (for example) 17 years of BJJ because they took it for a year in 1993 and then went to a few seminars. You'll notice I make it very clear that, while I have 16 years of interest in the arts, I have a lot less than that in terms of time on the mat and in the ring. I laid it out, and people know who they are dealing with (ie: no one special)

A little detail goes a long way in terms of credibility around here.

Thanks in advance
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 12:34pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 12:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to re-post a part of the culled posts...in relation to this thread and the camcorder grading:

Anaconda, can you explain the process of becoming affiliated with Clarke's combatsombo UK? When you sent your videos, what happened? How did the process start, etc?

Also, I realize you are not boasting any ranks from Clarke (not sure if you evne got one), but simply as a point of discussion...according to Clarke's website, combatsombo (TM to Clarke) is technically not "sambo". So technically, people who get ranks from Martin are getting ranked in his personally trademarked style, which he is trying to franchise. Not sambo formerly.

From: http://www.combatsombo.co.uk/find_wh..._and_click.htm

CombatSombo is a grappling self defence system developed and invented by Martin Clarke. It is based on the grappling arts of Judo, Sombo Wrestling, Free Style Wrestling, Lucha Canaria, Cornish Wrestling and combat disciplines of Jiu Jitsu, Boxing and Kickboxing. A more in depth history can be obtained by contacting Martin Clarke.

CombatSombo is a UK registered service mark and is the property of Martin Clarke. CombatSombo International is looking to franchise its name and style to other Countries.
    This is what worries me...in terms of marketing and selling ranks in "sambo". It misleads people into thinking things are not what they are (again, not claiming you have done this). But, I also don't want to see you fall prey to a scheme.
    Last edited by sambosteve; 4/20/2010 1:32pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/20/2010 1:10pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oops.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast