Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/06/2010 10:04am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Camcorder certification - sambo

I have sort of stumbled across this and am a bit reticent to post it here, but here you go.

I was looking at sambo events in the UK, when I noticed on the governing body's site that they are offering belts and certification in their variant of sambo through camcorder testing and training.

http://www.combatsombo.co.uk/Beginne...Blackbellt.htm
    http://www.combatsombo.co.uk/combats..._syllabus1.htm

I found this a little odd, but Martin Clarke is a verified sambo person. I then noticed this:
    http://www.classicalmartialartssocie...eyonder.co.uk/

Where they are now offering to grade you in any martial art through camcorder. Now this is a bit bad if you ask me.

Further looking around provided these guys:
    http://www.combatsombo.co.uk/combatsombo_usa.htm

Spoiler:

COMBATSOMBO USA

I am please to introduce two more International Members from the USA who have joined our Family of COMBATSOMBO Practitioners both have been graded by myself Martin Clarke the Founder of COMBATSOMBO to 3rd Degree Black Belt. Both have my permission to grade to 1st Degree

Master Frank Fuller,
    Started martial arts in the mid 1980s and have founded a system called Hoshin Kwon Bup, essentially a style of Korean Kenpo that is also recognized in Korea as well. I have trained in various Korean and Japanese systems over my time in the arts and also hold instructor ranks in several others, such as Jeet Kune Do and Krav Maga. I competed periodically in forms and sparring competitions in my younger days and have taught classes and developed black belts at various locations, primarily at university recreation centres and martial arts schools. I have also been elected to several Halls of Fame in recent years for my contributions.

Founder Hoshin Kwon Bup
    5th Dan jujutsu
    4th Dan judo

3rd degree COMBATSOMBO
    Instructor--Jeet Kune Do
    Instructor--Krav Maga

Master James Eddings
    I have spent my life practicing and researching the Mart
    ial Arts. I have taught civilians, law enforcement and military. I believe in keeping alive the combative aspects of martial arts, the ancient skills that have stood the test of time, and the evolving science of training. I have attained rank in several styles of martial arts and combative systems including, among others:

10th Dan Nihon Kempo
    5th Dan Judo
    3rd Degree COMBATSOMBO
    Sifu-Jeet Kune Do
    Instructor-Krav Maga
    www.freewebs.com/vagabondarts

Carl Lee Tolbert
    Ranks
    1st Dan Judo
    1st Degree Combatsombo
    Blue belt 4 stripes BJJ (WBJJA Instructor)
    10+ years freestyle and Greco wrestling
    www.aplusmartialarts.net
    Bio,

While serving in the US Navy, Mr. Tolbert’s first experience with Sombo comes from his Judo club in Japan. (He subsequently spent a decade as brown belt in Judo and finally tested for Black Belt under Grandmaster Yoon in early 2009.) In Japan after the Cold War, there were few Eastern European sailors that had trained in Sombo in their home Countries of Belarus and Lithuania. They introduced Mr. Tolbert to Sombo and helped him see how powerful this martial art could be; applied either as a sport or self defence art. The same was true for their influence on his Judo techniques. After leaving Japan and the Navy in 95, he worked out in various grappling and boxing programs in Ohio, North Carolina, and Georgia.
    He started training BJJ in 2003, and now instructs under Thadeu Vieira of the WBJJA. He continues to be a student and teacher and brings inspiration and technical expertise to his students at A Plus Martial Arts in Woodstock, GA.

People in the USA, who have been graded in sambo. I looked further into these three people, and it looks like they are all connected. Frank Muller seems to run a postal/camcorder certification organisation (the IFOMA) and is an associate instructor at A Plus Martial arts. James Eddings is one of the few members of the IFOMA. Carl Lee Tolbert is an instructor with A Plus Martial arts, where he teaches BJJ. He is a blue belt 4 stripes through the WBJJA (I've not heard of them, but I dont do BJJ).

Anyway, remote grading to me is a bit dodgy, can there be occasions where its acceptable to do these?
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 12:40pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I first Heard of Martin's program, I got a sick feeling in my gut. Too bad as Martin is Legit.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 2:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Sombo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Response from carl

My name is Carl Lee Tolbert from here in Georgia.
    I teach a small BJJ program affiliated with Thadeu Vieira and Paolo Lopes called the World Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Association at A plus Martial Arts in GA.
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Lineage:
    Carl Lee Tolbert <-- Thadeu Vieira <-- Paulo Wesley Lopes <-- Francisco Mansor <-- Helio Gracie

I’m working on Purple Belt and started BJJ in 2003. And have to say that the WBJJA is awesome to work with and has amazing teachers.
    Sombo, two years ago I tried emailing and getting a hold of anyone affiliated with Sombo to start something up similar to the ‘Garages” idea from Gracie University (Who use camcorder grading as well). The idea is just getting folks together who want to train.
    An opportunity to work with Martin Clarke (Who is an amazing Sombo teacher) came up recently from Frank Fuller my friend and associate who is pursuing his PhD in Philadelphia currently. I jumped at the chance to get a singular resource to start something here in Georgia from Scratch.
    As most Samboists here in the USA do, I plan on just being a coach nothing more. I was introduced to Sombo in the Navy while training Judo and have a great respect for it.
    How serious am I, I just signed up for the ASA for additional US resources and am looking for Kurtka’s for our class. We plan on adding the program to an open slot once a week to suppliment the BJJ program.
    As far as Frank, I cannot comment for him, and I do not know James Eddings other than meeting him at a seminar a few times.
    I understand this forum can be brutal at times, and just ask for the benefit of the doubt in my case and hold judgement until I get a chance to get things off the ground.
    Sincerely,
    Carl

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 2:54pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey! You're the jits instructor from the place in Woodstock. You guys should come down and visit us in Athens some time. Are any of your guys going to NAGA in February this time around?

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 3:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Sombo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have two guys that want to go, we competed in our first tournament last year in Arkansas for the WBJJA. I actually finished third in my first tournament in almost 16 years...lol.

We are looking at hosting a tournament this year for white belts Gi and no Gi here in Woodstock.

Maybe your guys are up for it, I have no details yet....just planning.

Carl

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 3:18pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We've got a few white belts would would probably be down. We generally take 4-5 people to NAGA. I've got a huge tournament schedule this year, something like 5 NAGAs, the Miami Open, and a couple of Lutadore tournies I want to hit.

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 3:27pm

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Carl, thanks for coming in here and making yourself known. Maybe you could give us a bit of an overview of the training you got through Martin, and your thoughts on it.

thanks!
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 8:34pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctolbert56 View Post
    I have two guys that want to go, we competed in our first tournament last year in Arkansas for the WBJJA. I actually finished third in my first tournament in almost 16 years...lol.

We are looking at hosting a tournament this year for white belts Gi and no Gi here in Woodstock.

Maybe your guys are up for it, I have no details yet....just planning.

Carl
    I have a few guys(3 or 4) here in Pensacola and we have kutkas and are willing to travel for some rolling action!! We competed at the Alabama BJJ championship but it was real shady and we got a bad taste from the experience. We have been looking for some Sambo rolling and would love to come up some time to roll.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 9:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand this forum can be brutal at times, and just ask for the benefit of the doubt in my case and hold judgement until I get a chance to get things off the ground.
    Sincerely,
    Carl
    fair enough, absolutely.

I just have a lifelong issue with distance training: between being a carpenter, a fitness dude and a martial artist, I think it is just impossible to transmit the abundant nuances in physical mechanics. Having a similar background certainly helps but I-for one-am training with a BJJ black belt in person, rather than via the Gracie University online program.

The Japanese traditionalists were appalled that people were making video instructionals of Ikebana and the like. I see their point, especially when it comes to something like this.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 11:45pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had recently spoken with Carl and was impressed with his honesty about his desires to learn as well as his own skill levels. I found him to be a genuine guy. This thread was weirdly coincidental, but I am glad he has come here to speak his peace. he has in fact joined the ASA (last week in fcat) and I look forward to working with him in the future and helping him build up his sambo program as best we can at the ASA.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast