Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/06/2010 9:06am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Integrated Martial Arts, Coventry RI

Integrated Martial Arts is a neat little place. It is located in a storefront on Main Street Coventry RI. It has two levels, with the main level beign mat and office space, and the lower level has a small weight room/conditioning area, and a boxing ring.

The main area is probably 1500-1800 square feet, so eight or ten pairs of guys can roll at once if everyone is careful. More pairs can go downstairs and roll on the limited mat space there if necessary.

The MMA class is taught by Jason Burlingame, a local NAGA standout and kickboxer. It is a fast-paced class, with a heavy emphasis on the no-gi grappling aspects of MMA. No striking was taught during the one class I took there so far. However, the Muay Thai class immediately follows the MMA class, which, when combined makes for a two-hour complete training cycle.

It's a good, solid place to train. They are no team Quest, Extreme Couture, or other such place, but they roll hard, hit hard, and train hard. They routinely test themselves in local grappling, kickboxing, and MMA events, and generally perform well. You can't ask for much more than that.

Pricing is about as non-McDojo as you can get. Not only do they have no contracts, but you can pay as you go. They have a 5-class coupon book for 60 dollars, and they punch it for every class you attend. So if my boss wants to send me to North Dakota for 4 days, I don't have to worry about losing a week of paid classes. I just resume training when I get back and have them punch my card. If you want to attend 5 days a week (you can), then it's 90 dollars a month. This includes EVERY class you care to attend, and free, unlimited access to the weight room, mats, and ring (when not in use).

I had a good time, and plan to train here for a while. It's worth checking out, and quite frankly, the only damn place within 20 miles of my house to train real MMA.

Check it out.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Defense Against the Homeless Seminar, 2008

Posted On:
    1/10/2010 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MACP, Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scrapper, thanks for posting this. I train at Tim Burrill's, and I only work down the street from Integrated. I'd really like to start working my stand up, so I think I'll swing by and give this place a try.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/10/2010 4:46pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll be there on tuesday at 6. I don't know if I'm staying for kickboxing at 7 or not yet. I'll be the large bearded dude huffing and puffing in the corner.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 11:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scrapper, gracias for posting this. There are many wonderful things i can say about sensei Burlingame but his do-jo speak for himself. I've been practicing martial arts more than three thirds of my life but i was not so impressed with the various styles. I met sensei burlingame when he first opened his do-jo in my town and i as well as my 5 kids enlisted in his classes. I personally was impressed with the way he teached and teaches now, but most of all with his charismatic ways. Sensei burlingame is a very good and patient instructor. I have the outmost respect for him and also for Integrated Martial Arts. I will recommend this school for anyone who wants to learn mma or just simply to get in shape. Eventhoug im the oldest of the class i still packed a punch, and i have sensei Jason tell you that, lol. We are very happy to train at Integrated Martial arts center.
    So, scrapper i hope to see you there and maybe we may go a few rounds on the mat at Integrated Martial Arts, lets see who reigns "King of the mat".lol.