1/05/2010 11:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New MT gym!!! York Muay Thai - Authentic Muay Thai School - Toronto

NEW! Authentic Muay Thai School in Toronto Canada - York Muay Thai
    Sawadeekha Everyone,

This is just a friendly message letting all the fellow Bullshido peeps know that a new gym has opened up in North York, Ontario, Canada.

We are all about education and the martial experience. York Muay Thai focuses on the traditions, culture and philosophies of the Thai people through a solid Muay Thai curriculum.

Come out and experience a new fusion of mind, body soul and education at York Muay Thai.

Opening January 11th, 2010.
    Grand Opening in March 2010

Website is still being built but visit us to stay tuned.

www.yorkmuaythai.com

Khap khun kha!
    Kru Jenypher Lanthier
    Owner & Director
    York Muay Thai Inc.
    info@yorkmuaythai.com
    416-571-6137
    Last edited by jnp; 4/05/2010 9:16am at . Reason: Edited to clarify the name of the gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2010 11:27pm

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train with Kru Jen, heavily recommend it.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/06/2010 3:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i always think people should -finish- a website before putting on the internet.

looks cool, young team- do you bring more experienced guys in to train with them much? i like to think im an alright teacher after 6 or so years, but then ill do pads with our man Diesel who has been holding pads for longer than ive been alive, and its a whole different world >_<

any plans on fighting this year?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2010 10:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    i always think people should -finish- a website before putting on the internet.

looks cool, young team- do you bring more experienced guys in to train with them much? i like to think im an alright teacher after 6 or so years, but then ill do pads with our man Diesel who has been holding pads for longer than ive been alive, and its a whole different world >_<

any plans on fighting this year?
    The website will be done soon.

Not sure how often Kru J checks this site, so I guess I'll field this question. Our club was originally run out of a university gym, so instead of bringing in more experienced guys to spar, our guys would drive around to different places to spar with different people, like Kombat Arts or Xtreme Couture. Kru J likes to keep her fighters active and sharp even when they're not fighting soon. Sometimes she puts them in exhibition matches and demos, stuff like that.

Kru J knows her stuff and has trained some seriously good fighters. Her assistant coach used to be Canadian Amateur Champion, and he's a monster. Also there's Ajahn Suchart who runs Siam No. 1, where she trains, who comes in sometimes for seminars and stuff, and Clifton Brown has done seminars for us, he's unreal. 55 pro fights. He fought Carnage Corbett twice I think. So yes, she likes to expose us to better fighters and different coaches.

There's a couple guys getting ready for fights soon, when and where I'm not really sure, but yeah people will definitely be fighting this year. Their already amping their training up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2010 11:00pm

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No disrespect, but it seems like you spelled your own e-mail address wrong on the "contact" page of the website. Call me a crusty old fart, but if people can't contact you, they might not visit. It's a matter of putting bread in your bowl, so I'm a stickler on phone numbers and addys.

Anyways, good luck, and let me know if and when you start lunch time classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 10:33am

Style: muaythai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained at a gym in Toronto affiliated with Siam No 1 and Suchart. The gym was Krudar Muaythai. If this gym is anything like Krudar, it will be top notch.

Anyone around York University who is interested in a good place to train should definitely pay a visit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 10:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2groggy View Post
    No disrespect, but it seems like you spelled your own e-mail address wrong on the "contact" page of the website. Call me a crusty old fart, but if people can't contact you, they might not visit. It's a matter of putting bread in your bowl, so I'm a stickler on phone numbers and addys.
    Can't comment on the website, not in charge of it, but you still get the idea. edit: looks fixed now.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorchedearth View Post
    I trained at a gym in Toronto affiliated with Siam No 1 and Suchart. The gym was Krudar Muaythai. If this gym is anything like Krudar, it will be top notch.

Anyone around York University who is interested in a good place to train should definitely pay a visit.
    Cool, buddy, Kru J is a Kru under Ajahn Suchart (his first female Kru I think), and she trains with him regularly at Siam No. 1 to make sure that we're keeping our MT true to how he would want it to be taught. So yes, probably similar to Krudar, and yes top notch.
    Last edited by P-Dub; 1/09/2010 10:39am at .

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    1/16/2010 12:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This reveiw would get better results for your area if you edit the "NEW!!!" out.

right now it reads like the place is located in "NEW York"

IIRC There is a place in NEw York called "New York Muay Thai"... this is going to cause a lot of confusion.
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Featherweight

153-155 Limestone Cres, North York, ON, CA

Posted On:
    1/17/2010 12:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sawadeekha Everyone,

Fielding some questions here.

My instructors 'seem' young however, they not only get consistent training with myself and Ajahn but they also get information on how to improve overall teaching quality.

Both myself and our other main instructor have belts however, I beg everyone not to judge any gym based on years in training, belts or size but hear the message being taught and make your own decision after that.

Someone once said to me "Buying a Muay Thai membership is like buying a car, you have to try it test drive it to make your complete decision."

The website has been a complete nightmare and I apologize for that. It is your classic case of lack of communication and too many hands in the design pot. I actually messaged the designer and asked them to remove the site completely until fully completed.

it was not done.

In the end, York Muay Thai is going to be a gym in it's own class. Why? because it is centered on curriculum, learning and growing as people in Muay Thai. We offer a library offering a variety of books and video's focusing on progression within Muay Thai and individually as people. We offer meditation classes, yoga and so much more.

May sound 'soft' to the MMA athlete or whomever but we are building a balance within each member. A balance that supports each students' needs.

When I was training professionally i had 1 membership for Muay Thai, one for Yoga, one for weights and it was crazy mixing the schedules and trying to pay for it all. i always wished a REAL Muay Thai school would offer all elements that complimented Muay Thai. Mind, body and soul. MMA schools offered it but I wanted traditional... it was impossible to find.

I hope anyone in the toronto area comes and tries out a free week of training because no matter what the website says, or what they perceive the gyms credibility is, they should try and then decide.

We do believe in Traditional Muay Thai and all the curriculum is approved by Ajahn himself. Most of the fighters train with their brothers and sisters at Siam.No.1 but.... the quality of your sparring partners does not always indicate your success rate but it may very well help.

A small story (not from my school but I felt it was a good lesson learned):

student: "Kru, will I be travelling to other gyms to spar people for my next fight?"

kru: "No, we have our own gym, we can use our own peers to get you ready"

student: "Well, not to sound cocky but, no one here fully challenges me anymore."

kru: " Student, your past 3 fights you lost, yet back then you were training/sparring with 4 world champions, so what makes you think, training with them now will make you win? Perhaps you should just remain focused on your opponent and listen to your Kru's."

student: "True, ok"

I liked this a lot because as I learned from this school, most of the time, it's the focus on the fighter's behalf that lacks. Not to say training with champs isn't amazing, it is...and if they want to come to you then great! i believe a fighter should train in his home and if his Kru is talented, they can see any areas that need work and use their own school's resources to mend any holes.

Khap Khun Kha,

Kru J

Featherweight

153-155 Limestone Cres, North York, ON, CA

Posted On:
    1/17/2010 12:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I almost killed myself when I say coontact@yorkmuaythai.com... seriously... the website has not been a fun ride for me, but I am grateful for help and any other suggestions...

Thanks!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast