Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 12:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does she even claim to be champion of? Any mention of her (and Google doesn't return much -- odd for someone with such a reportedly decorated fighting history) appears to be purposely vague (ie "MMA champion.")

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 10:39pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk View Post
    Let me start by being honest, I do not know much about Muay Thai or Martial arts. What caught my attention is that a couple of you are skeptic about the Muay Thai gym. I don't know about the gym itself, but I do know that Roxy Martin is not what she is making herself out to be. All of the titles and championships that she says she has won, are a lie. I'm not using this website to personally attack her, but I cannot sit here anymore and watch how she tries to make herself look so good when in fact, she has not been in this type of field for long. I hope that my message gets across to that someone who wants to train with her. Please take my advice, look for a place that has more credibility and that does not involve her whatsoever. This message is intended for those of you who take this type of fighting seriously. The only thing she had done, is make a joke out of this and herself.
    Has the class actually opened yet? The website still says opening 1 October. If it is I'd be willing to at least give the grapping portion of the class a look, considering that they claim to teach BJJ as well. Unfortunately I don't have any real striking experience so I wouldn't really be able to offer any useful insight there.

This being said, I'd really hate to see a Bullshido investigation going down in my home town crap out so early, presumably degenerating into hopelessness and a think haze of blue smoke, as happens with most attempts to do anything in tucson. Since no tucson-area bullies with significant MT experience seem to have popped up, is there any chance one of us in the phoenix-area fight scene would be interested in helping out? I'd be willing to shell out a few bucks for gas money and lodging if others would be willing to do the same. Anyone else with me?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2010 11:05pm

Style: Kendo, Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm basically worthless for anything except coughing up ten or so bucks to help pay for a Motel 6 room, as the rest of my parentally-provided money goes to college and training, and I can't tell Muay Thai from a foot up my ass.

Posted On:
    4/03/2010 5:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: thai boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off I don't know who Roxy Martin is, I don't live in Arizona, I am not trying to qualify or disqualify her. And that's because she should qualify herself. And seeing how its the year 2010 anyone with a fight record should have a video of the fight. (unless there 60 years old from thailand), but pretty much everyone else who has no proof of there claims is a fraud. Oh and for you instructors out there, yes you do have to prove what you put on your websites. And I am seeing instructors like that all over Texas, people claiming muay thai certification and they have never been to Thailand, or even done a real fight.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/03/2010 5:33pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Missing posts moved here: Spouting off - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2010 6:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just throwing in my Two cents here but according to EliteKrue's website they claim their "craft was passed down through generations and developed 30 undefeated champions" this is a red flag for me. In the actual world of legitimate Muay Thai, I can count the number of Lumpini, Rajadamnern and Bangla champs that went undefeated for more than 2 years on one hand. Best examples: Apidej, Sanchai Sor Kingstar, Dieselnoi Chor Thanasukarn. None of these fighters retired undefeated, and these men are the gods of Muay Thai.

There are no given names of these "30 undefeated fighters" that this system claims to have developed, and I know that If I had a man like Apidej or Sanchai in my lineage I would want everyone to know that he was a part of my system. No names, No titles named, No orginizations listed that they are affiliated with. Very suspicious to me.

Also, the "Grandmaster" title is not a Muay Thai title. "Khru" in pronunctiation or "Kru" in spelling means coach or teacher, and is the title accredited to a veteran fighter or someone with much experience who has retired and now coaches others, The title "Ahrjan" means Master Teacher, and is the Thai title more akin to a lifetime practitioner and a guardian of the culture and knowledge of Muay Thai. This is more of an honorary title and is usually given to farang, or foreigners who devote themselves to a teacher or style and take that knowledge back home to spread it.

The two Ahrjans who reside at my gym, David Neal Brown and Steven Wilson, are accredited by the Thai Government as protectors of Muay Thai Culture, and we call them Masters in passing simply because it is easier in english than Thai. If We were to list an advertisement for our school, you can be sure that we would not use the word "master", "grandmaster" or "master teacher", we would use the proper term, Ahrjan, because it is the proper title and garners the proper respect.

It is my personal opinion that the "Grand Masters" of EliteKrue have simply taken the titles of perhaps another martial arts style like Kung Fu, in which they MAY OR MAY NOT have recieved the title, and simply carried it over to the other styles which they teach at their school. In this way, they are accredited in Kung Fu as a Grandmaster and may have recieved full documentation and lineage from that style, and simply maintain the title and teach other styles. There is nothing wrong with that If they have earned the title, However it should be made clear that they are not grandmasters of Muay Thai. The fact that user elitkrue mentions that it is not a gym but rather an academy lends itself to support this theory.

Also the lack of the Kru title also throws up a red flag. If any of the instructors at this school had indeed been time tested in an out of the ring, the proper title would be Kru, as a coach and a veteran of experience. I personally have the absolute utmost respect for a Kru title because unlike a "master" or "dan" or "sensei" title, A practioner must be an experienced competitor of the moderate to higher levels of full contact, ringsport Muay Thai to achieve that recognition. If the system that has claimed to produce 30 undefeated champions is really time tested, The instructors who teach it would understand exactly what the Kru title means to practitioners of Muay Thai, and would undoubtedly be referring to themselves as such instead of grandmasters.

I am not going so far as to call these teachers liars, I simply see many red flags when it comes to the legitimacy of their "muay Thai" program and the claims of the capabilities of their systems. I believe that the teachers may be truthful in their titles, however, they would have had to be earned in other disciplines and not in muay Thai because those titles simply do not exist. This is not meant as an attack, I am just simply curious and looking for explanation. There is so little knowledge of traditional Muay Thai in the States today that confusion and false claims run rampant.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    5/22/2010 11:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am in the process of doing a thorough inquiry into this place. For now, let the following video and text summarize my opinion of this uniquely offensive place:

Despite the snazzy graphics and web site, this place is run out of a dance studio, and has no proper equiptment, ring or anything else one would associate with a Muaythai gym.

YouTube- Elite Krue Muay Thai Sparring - Sarah & Blu
    Holy Mother of G-d! That actually hurts my eyes. She seems to have invented "Thai Chi"

"Krue" Roxy has no documented competition history
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 5/22/2010 11:16pm at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    5/22/2010 11:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Krue" Roxy has this to say about her operation:

First and Last Name
    Roxy Martin

Business Name
    Kru Noi Muay Thia Academy

Birthday
    October 16

Who Referred You to the Network?
    Benny

How Would You Describe Your Business and Services?
    I provide a unique type of way to excerise, through Martial Arts. Teach the Art of Eight Limbs. I help those develope a sense of power understanding your body by way of movement. I teach formal Muay Thai technique that will assist with stresses of everyday life learning how to punch, kick, use knee, and elbows. I also teach Wushu and BJJ for those who want to make sure that the they want to become well rounded in the art of Martial Arts.

Who is My Ideal Client?
    I am looking for clients who need a stress reliever, from work, family and or general life problems that you can take out on a bag and learn how to kick, punch, knee and elbow. I also want to provide a healther alternative lifestyle to those who dont want go to a regular gym on a tredmill. For those who are ready to make a drastic change and differenc in their life. I am the trainer your looking for.

From http://www.mytucsonbiz.com/profile/R...ource=activity

Posted On:
    5/22/2010 11:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Note that the "Noie" Roxy associates with her name is most likely the name usually romanized as "Noi". I will say that her students do hold their bodies in a bizarre parody of the great Diesel Noi's stance.

Now the famous nak Muay, Narong Noi and Diesel Noi may infact have earned the title Ahjarn, but they sure and hell did not teach this person.

Edit: posted elsewhere on the thread
    Thai Boxing Champion-Retired Under the direction of Sensei D Noi.
    Un-effing-believable

Roxy, if you are reading this, please come on the thread and join the discussion.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 5/22/2010 11:35pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2010 11:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thats just painful to watch. thats the extent of "kru"(e? seriosuly?) roxy's instruction? Its terrible that they are paying for that.

I think those students would actually be better off using the dance studio to dance.

She refers to him as Sensei. He would not have been a sensei as a Thai boxer. If he ever coached her, His title would be Kru or Ahrjan (although thats usually only given to farang or ambassadors of the style to my knowledge)

edit: YouTube- Elite Krue Muay Thai Combination Drill 1

Literally the end of the combination is a right round kick, switch kick and transitions to a superman .... ridiculous.
    Last edited by miraclemty; 5/22/2010 11:55pm at .
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast