Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2010 12:48pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickeroon1987 View Post
    A little off topic, but I have to ask: is it common for Japan to pit its good fighters against mainly cans? It seems like every fight Aoki has is against someone who doesn't stand a chance.
    While I agree that in Japan they will feed fighters cans, Aoki has definitely fought his share of top fighters. In the past year he fought Hirota, Hansen, Ribeiro, Sakurai, and Gardner. So Hirota and Hansen held titles at the time and Sakurai was the favourite for the welterweight tournament. Ribeiro admittedly was a bit rusty, but he does hold wins over Kawajiri, Hansen, and Ishida. Gardner, of course, was a complete can, but really that's only 1 person for the year.

In 2008, he fought JZ, Nagata, Uno, Hansen, Moore, and Alvarez. Those first 4 fights were in the lightweight tournament, but all (with the exception of Nagata) are tough opponents. After the tournament, while Moore is a can, he finished the year fighting Alvarez.

Really, the majority of his fights he was fighting tough competition.

Bassline to the Mainline

Posted On:
    1/11/2010 1:59am

Style: JamBoxer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We will never get Aoki vs. Penn. It just wont happen. I have a better chance of having a 3some with Salma Hayek and Eva Mendez.

Posted On:
    1/11/2010 2:49am

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic View Post
    It just wont happen. I have a better chance of having a 3some with Salma Hayek and Eva Mendez.
    When it happens, I demand pictures.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/11/2010 1:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic View Post
    We will never get Aoki vs. Penn. It just wont happen. I have a better chance of having a 3some with Salma Hayek and Eva Mendez.
    Actually with his recent antics and the Japanese distaste for that sort of **** I wouldn't be surprised if the UFC became a real possibility in the next year or two. Hopefully he'll go to Strikeforce and beat Melendez first, then we'll probably see him lose to Penn, then lose to Edgar, then lose to Florian and then go back to Japan and again be listed as the #2 LW fighter.:rolleyes:

('._.)

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 1:41pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickeroon1987 View Post
    A little off topic, but I have to ask: is it common for Japan to pit its good fighters against mainly cans? It seems like every fight Aoki has is against someone who doesn't stand a chance.
    Thats only because he makes them look bad. Hirota is a Senguko champion who just came off two big wins, Ishida and Kitaoka (who actually beat Gomi recently). Aoki handled him like he was Royce Gracie in UFC 1. Takedown-submission, made it look ridiculously simple and easy.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 1:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    Thats only because he makes them look bad.
    Personally I don't think that's all it is. Certainly a part. However, I suspect that a lot of UFC LWs would make Aoki look like he did against Sak. There are pretty much no LWs I can think of with good wrestling and good submission defense fighting outside of the UFC. That's probably the most common LW in the UFC. If Aoki schooled Crusher like he did Hirota I might change my tune.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of cross-over among the LWs so it is all speculative on both sides.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 1:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    There are pretty much no LWs I can think of with good wrestling and good submission defense fighting outside of the UFC.
    Getting heel-hooked by Aoki in 90 seconds is pretty much the only crack Alvarez's submission defence has ever shown.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 6:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Getting heel-hooked by Aoki in 90 seconds is pretty much the only crack Alvarez's submission defence has ever shown.
    Like I said, comparing UFC LWs with those outside the UFC is difficult because there has been little crossover. I am not as impressed by Alvarez (or Hansen really) as a lot of people are.

Bassline to the Mainline

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 10:32pm

Style: JamBoxer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually with his recent antics and the Japanese distaste for that sort of **** I wouldn't be surprised if the UFC became a real possibility in the next year or two. Hopefully he'll go to Strikeforce and beat Melendez first, then we'll probably see him lose to Penn, then lose to Edgar, then lose to Florian and then go back to Japan and again be listed as the #2 LW fighter.:rolleyes:
    Once again Upa, using logic to destroy my theory of negativity. If I make myself believe to my fullest it wont happen or something bad will happen its awesome when something goes my way. I am taking the same stance with the Chargers winning the fucking super bowl this year.

Back on topic, I see Aoki going over to strikeforce. I guess I should have mentioned that in the first place. But I just don't see Japan giving the UFC a full 100% their golden boy. Hell I see it as possible for him to go to Strikeforce in late 2010, take out Melendez and pull an Overeem or Lee and not contending his belt while fighting bullshit new years Dream shows while a dude like Thompson ends up holding an interim title until Aoki comes back in 2013 or they finaly pull a Cung and cut the title lose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 10:36pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said, comparing UFC LWs with those outside the UFC is difficult because there has been little crossover. I am not as impressed by Alvarez (or Hansen really) as a lot of people are.
    Yeah, I haven't been too impressed with Alvarez myself, considering that fight he was running from Aoki when Aoki was doing the butt-scoot. Still, Aoki is supposed to be fighting Melendez at some point in Strikeforce, so that or the fight against Kawajiri should hopefully give an idea of how Aoki would do in the UFC.

Also, for Gomi vs. Florian, I predict Florian by RNC Round 2.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast