Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 2:06am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can a referee stop a fight if a submission is locked in but the reciever won't tap? I just saw the Dunham fight and that was just stupid. I don't grapple, but I don't really think a broken arm is worth it, considering you're losing either way.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 2:24am

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickapoo View Post
    Can a referee stop a fight if a submission is locked in but the reciever won't tap? I just saw the Dunham fight and that was just stupid. I don't grapple, but I don't really think a broken arm is worth it, considering you're losing either way.
    See Mir v. Sylvia. Or more recently Aoki v. Hirota.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 2:24am

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you watch, right as the arm gets locked down the hardest, he taps once as he falls to his side. Ref didn't see it.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 2:32am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Bar View Post
    See Mir v. Sylvia. Or more recently Aoki v. Hirota.
    Then I'd like to know what the hell that ref was waiting for.

Also, is it just me or did Diaz seem uncomfortable in his striking? He constantly seemed off balance. While I'm aware Maynard is a great wrestler, if you aren't getting the job done on your feet you have to at least try to take it to the ground.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 11:07am

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then I'd like to know what the hell that ref was waiting for.

Also, is it just me or did Diaz seem uncomfortable in his striking? He constantly seemed off balance. While I'm aware Maynard is a great wrestler, if you aren't getting the job done on your feet you have to at least try to take it to the ground.
    He tried, but Maynard was just not letting him get anywhere. He just shut down Diaz's clinch every time.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 11:13am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Diaz looked as comfortable with his striking as he usually does. He was rightfully worried about Maynard's power, but was still landing his jab and getting counter punches in. Maynard is far too good of a wrestler for Diaz to take down and after their first encounter Gray learned not to take it to the ground. With his improved standup he was able to out work Diaz to take the decision. I was rooting heavily for Diaz to get it to the ground, but no love.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 11:28am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maynard was a bit too cautious after he settled down initially in my opinion. I'm no striking expert, but I think that uppercut could have finished off Diaz in the clinch if Maynard kept at it the whole fight.

Overall, Maynard dictated the pace and position of the fight. I was surprised that one of the judges scored the fight for Diaz, mostly because Diaz's punches seem to lack significant power and he did little else for the duration of the fight..

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 12:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Maynard was a bit too cautious after he settled down initially in my opinion. I'm no striking expert, but I think that uppercut could have finished off Diaz in the clinch if Maynard kept at it the whole fight.

Overall, Maynard dictated the pace and position of the fight. I was surprised that one of the judges scored the fight for Diaz, mostly because Diaz's punches seem to lack significant power and he did little else for the duration of the fight..
    Interestingly in the play by play analysis on sherdog one of the "judges" scored the fight a draw and the other two split. Close fight, Diaz probably landed more but Gray had more power shots.

I've rolled a few times with Evan, the guy who got the armbar, a year or so ago. He trained at our gym for awhile before going down to Vegas. He showed a lot of heart getting out of the first and looked very impressive for the rest of the fight. I was pretty impressed that he got the takedowns he wanted on Escudaro.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 3:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neither Maynard nor Diaz looked that great on the feet to me. Both the Diaz brothers have a really weird style of boxing, sort of like what I imagine Chuck Liddell would look like if he punched more often and with less power. That same sort of awkward-angle punching style. Maynard, on the other hand, just looked like he was swinging wide to take Diaz's head off, but not much else. Maynard/Penn doesn't look like it'll very much of a challenge for BJ.

Lawlor/Simpson was a fun fight, although I was disappointed to see Lawlor gas out at the end. What was up with all the booing? It was a good fight, I can't figure out what everyone was upset about.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 8:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling, Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like Maynard and I think he has an excellent future in the UFC. Would have been nice to see Diaz's striking a little more effective but his style IS off camber. Maynard is effective but I dont see him capable of fending off BJ's technicality.

I think we will see Maynard get a title shot eventually, but BJ will eat his lunch at this point.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast