Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 1:45am

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gr81disp View Post
    No. UFC is entertainment, first and foremost. It is nice to find out who the best fighter in the world is, but when you get down to basics, the UFC is a business and their particular brand of business is entertainment. Why do you think that Kimbo is signed?

Now, luckily for us, the Fertittas and Dana really do give a crap about martial arts and so they dont' give undeserved title shots or anything. I think the current Zuffa model has struck the right balance between entertainment and sporting event.

So, TS, stop crying, they are winning and that is all that really matters.
    I am entertained by real competition so any attempt to make things "entertaining" will have the opposite effect for me and many others. I agree the current balance is hitting the sweet spot, and I don't want to see any improvements other than finding quality talent and setting up good match-ups.

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 1:57am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what would be exciting? If they'd lose the shorts! Let's see some real condom depots, I say.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 7:53am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KOing Liddell is not the strategy I'm talking about. Its the conservative striking combined with double legs where they don't try to keep the guy down. Against Jiujitsu guys they just back out and get another take down and against strikers they let them wall walk back up. Both are safe ways of conservatively striking and getting another take down for points. My problem with it is they are not focused on finishing the fight. It is a clear focus on winning a decision with fitness and a conservative strategy.

Nothing illustrates this better than the identical looks of disgust from Thiago Silva and BJ Penn when they are sitting against the cage with Evans and GSP respectively hugging their waist.

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 8:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see your point. I find those takedowns exciting, but the unwillingness to rear mount and RNC is indeed weird.

We'd better pray that Cung Le is the last MMA fighter to cross over from San Da, otherwise we could see a lot more of this strategy.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 8:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubarão-branco View Post
    KOing Liddell is not the strategy I'm talking about. Its the conservative striking combined with double legs where they don't try to keep the guy down. Against Jiujitsu guys they just back out and get another take down and against strikers they let them wall walk back up. Both are safe ways of conservatively striking and getting another take down for points. My problem with it is they are not focused on finishing the fight. It is a clear focus on winning a decision with fitness and a conservative strategy.

Nothing illustrates this better than the identical looks of disgust from Thiago Silva and BJ Penn when they are sitting against the cage with Evans and GSP respectively hugging their waist.
    The only look on BJ's face I remember is the one of him quitting after GSP pounded his face.

GSP's strategy was to tie BJ up for the first two rounds and blow BJ's arms defending the take down and then open the striking.

It was perfect executed strategy and exciting to watch.

And Silva has no one to blame but himself for his poor conditioning.

He had Rashad dazed in the third and just stood their flapping his arms like he's doing the chicken dance because he was too gassed to follow up.

If you don't want to be controlled don't let people control you.

Stout VS Lauzon was a great example of striker VS grapler with the striker having a better strategy

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 8:23am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The whole winning vs entertainment argument gets brought up in most sports (Boxing,Football,Rugby,Soccer). You cant blame Jackson for developing winning strategies.

Besides Rashad is hardly Mayweather, he does engage.

The last thing we want is more and more rules being brought into MMA in an attempt to make it more exciting. It would kill the sport - Things are good as they are IMO.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 8:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubarão-branco View Post
    Except that GSP dished out such merciless GnP on Penn that he forgot most of the fight and quit on his stool...

It didn't look to me like Evans lacked the inclination to hold Silva down and GnP or submit him, it looked like he lacked the ability.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 9:20am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was a marvelous strategy by Rashad to wear out a bigger and explosive opponent. It was the more than likely the reason that punch in the third round didn't knock him out because he took enough juice out of Thaigo to make him less effective.

While Rashad was not able to put the GnP on him after the take down he did shut down any offense from him for 10 min. You could see that Rashad was having trouble connecting in the stand up due to Thaigo's size. He was not in Rashad's wheel house for him to make good contact in the exchanges. So instead of standing there and taking a beating he would shoot and take him down or wrestle him on the cage.

Even though you may not have been happy with the performance it was a masterful work of fighting and strategy. I am sure that Rashad was looking for the finish but the opportunity never presented itself. If Thaigo reallly wanted to win he would have pushed the pace in the third and went out guns a blazing trying to finish Rashad. Instead he was gassed and had little left in the tank when the time came for him to be able to do so.

Greg Jackson isn't ruining MMA he is creating cerebral fighters with gas tanks fit for a jumbo jet. The WWE is for you if you want excitement every time you watch it. The UFC is about fighting. The UFC wants exciting fights don't get me wrong but fighters know that sometimes you got to win no matter what. I for one was commenting on the masterful strategy that they put together for Thaigo.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 10:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about some takedown defense? Its not Rashads fault he can take Thiago down at will. How hard it is to KO an opponent that is not even trying to finish you?

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 10:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thiago actually had good TD defense and he was able to stand up at will.

He just didn't have enough gas to press forward when he needed to.

Again looking at the Stout fight, Stout changed levels striking and went head body and the continual liver shots took away Lauzon's gas and shot.

Thiago could have used some of that strategy.

Although Rashad has good head movement.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast