My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    As mentioned above, in 2007, Benny competed as a Blue Belt in the Seniors division:

So, just over 3 years later, how is he now a 4th Degree Black Belt in "Jiu Jitsu" (the Brazilian spelling of the art):

?

Just for a frame of reference, the IBJJF recommends the following MINIMUM amount of times between promotions:

2 yrs: blue -> purple
    1.5 yrs: purple -> brown
    1 yr: brown -> black
    3 yrs: 1st degree
    3 yrs: 2nd degree
    3 yrs: 3rd degree
    5 yrs: 4th degree

Those are guidelines that not everybody adheres to, but is indicative of the minimum time frames that most schools (including the top competing schools) adhere to. There are exceptions of course, but not usually after getting a black belt; the degrees usually time-based rather than performance based.
    I know its nitpicking but it doesn't say BJJ it just says Jiu Jitsu. I know that spelling is the most popular with BJJ but its not the only ones that use it. That spelling as well as JUJITSU has been used for years in the US before BJJ. More than likely he is going to claim another system of Jiu Jitsu. Its obvious misleading advertising.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 6:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, the Bolden.

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 6:11pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    I know its nitpicking but it doesn't say BJJ it just says Jiu Jitsu.
    The real problem, though, is that he specifically labels what he is teaching as "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" instead of simply "Jiu Jitsu."

Also, many BJJ schools have taken to leaving out the qualifying "Brazilian" and simply referring to their art as "Jiu Jitsu," e.g.:

http://komarjiujitsu.com/index.php/about/

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 6:33pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know its nitpicking but it doesn't say BJJ it just says Jiu Jitsu. I know that spelling is the most popular with BJJ but its not the only ones that use it. That spelling as well as JUJITSU has been used for years in the US before BJJ. More than likely he is going to claim another system of Jiu Jitsu. Its obvious misleading advertising.
    Yeah. It was an initial "WTF?" moment which would need more looking into. On the front page of the site, it specifically says they train "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" (as DoD mentioned just above this post):

But I understand that his rank in just "Jiu Jitsu" gives him some room to move around in his claims.

The school being closed should be confirmed. I'll wait to see if Team Python gets an e-mail back.

Team Python: where did you send an e-mail? I can't locate an e-mail address on that site for Benny. I saw one for the web designer, but not one for the school or Benny himself.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 6:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to brazilians, jiu jitsu = BJJ, and ju jitsu = the traditional japanese form.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 6:47pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    Yeah. It was an initial "WTF?" moment which would need more looking into. On the front page of the site, it specifically says they train "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" (as DoD mentioned just above this post):

But I understand that his rank in just "Jiu Jitsu" gives him some room to move around in his claims.

The school being closed should be confirmed. I'll wait to see if Team Python gets an e-mail back.

Team Python: where did you send an e-mail? I can't locate an e-mail address on that site for Benny. I saw one for the web designer, but not one for the school or Benny himself.
    I sent it on the contacts page....I could not find an email address. You know I had looked at this site over a year ago. I was planning a trip to Texas to do some gun training and visit a Marine buddy of mine. I was planning to drive to Texas and I was going to stop in El Paso for the night then proceed on to Austin. I looked up some schools just in case I wanted to stop in and roll. Well I don't recall him stating he was a fourth degree black belt.....**** that would have stuck in my mind. I think he added that portion sometime after. Either way he does no state he teahces just Jiu-Jistu but BJJ so that makes me believe he is claiming to be a BB in BJJ. We will see if he does responds.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 6:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Navita View Post
    to brazilians, jiu jitsu = BJJ, and ju jitsu = the traditional japanese form.
    I know this but in the US JUJUTSU, JIU JITSU, and JUJITSU is all the same to most people. All three spellings have been used through out the years so proving this guy is a fraud would be hard.

The real problem, though, is that he specifically labels what he is teaching as "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" instead of simply "Jiu Jitsu."
    Which can still be true. Depending on the org some guys let Blues teach and others only let Purple and up teach. Dempsey said he was a blue a few years ago and might be a purple now so if who ever gave him the rank allows him to teach he can still be "truthful." He can have his BB in some other "Jiu Jitsu" and still teach BJJ. For example. I hold a BB in other forms of JJ. I am also a BJJ Brown with the permission to teach and promote students in BJJ. I could open a school of "JiuJitsu" and claim my BB in Jiu Jitsu and still offer BJJ. It would be a bitchass thing to do but I would more than likely rope in a lot of the casual people out there. Very deceitful and misleading but hard to prove as Fraud.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 7:37pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He can have his BB in some other "Jiu Jitsu" and still teach BJJ.
    I think the question here would be--assuming that Benavides indeed has some lower rank in BJJ--whether he teaches BJJ in his BJJ color or in his "other Jiu Jitsu" black belt.

Although Gene Simco was a legit BJJ blue belt when he started teaching BJJ, he would wear his JJJ black belt while teaching. Then he got called on it by one of his students, after which he wore his BJJ color while teaching. Even though he fessed up to this in one of his books, he was crucified after the fact for it. Very bad BJJ etiquette.

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    1/26/2011 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I may be able to help contribute to this. As I said before I trained with Benny when I was living in El Paso and we both received our blue belts from Relson Gracie in October of 2005. Benny was the partial owner of El Paso Jiujitsu as well as one of the instructors so he was on the mat around 6 days a week. By the time I left in December of 2006 he was probably pretty close to being a purple belt.
    Benny's day job was as a school teacher and he coached wrestling at a few of the middle schools on the east side of the city, so between that and running the BJJ school his life pretty much revolved around grappling. With the exception of an injury that took him out for about a month in 06 he was always training.
    I think that it also bears worth mentioning that before he even started training and BJJ he already had a blackbelt in a style free style jujitsu and had for some time. El Paso really didn't get an actual dedicated BJJ school until El Paso Jiujitsu opened in 2005, but there were several free-style jujitsu and submission wrestling place in town prior to that.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast