Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 11:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine View Post
    Jaebeard. Thank you for the information. It's good to ensure the information is correct as many students will look into an instructors credentials/claims first as a means of filtering out the good, the bad, the ugly.

Not to be a bother but if possible, can you provide further information on this Abu Dhabi tournament. There is the major one or "World Championships" if you will that are recognized by most, if not all, of the BJJ community as the highest level of submission grappling tournaments. There are also qualifier and basic tournaments held under the Abu Dhabi name.

Again, from the information I found, I could not find his information being in first or second place in the major Abu Dhabi tournament. See my above post. Considering all of the other information, with the exception of that, was easy to verify, it seems odd that this is the one thing that sticks out.
    Will do... I will provide a link or some other form of verification pertaining to the Abu Dhabi tournament as soon as possible.

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 5:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine View Post
    Jaebeard. Thank you for the information. It's good to ensure the information is correct as many students will look into an instructors credentials/claims first as a means of filtering out the good, the bad, the ugly.

Not to be a bother but if possible, can you provide further information on this Abu Dhabi tournament. There is the major one or "World Championships" if you will that are recognized by most, if not all, of the BJJ community as the highest level of submission grappling tournaments. There are also qualifier and basic tournaments held under the Abu Dhabi name.

Again, from the information I found, I could not find his information being in first or second place in the major Abu Dhabi tournament. See my above post. Considering all of the other information, with the exception of that, was easy to verify, it seems odd that this is the one thing that sticks out.
    It took me awhile but here is the link. The reason you may have had so much trouble is because the link may have been deleted. I found this but it is a cached page. These are from the ADCC Regional's in Las Vegas August 1st 2009 - Men 35+ (145lbs & Under) - Advanced - 2nd Place Benny Benavides Xtreem Jiu Jitsu.

Link: http://74.6.146.127/search/cache?ei=...2uBIDJkWJndg--
    Last edited by jaebeard; 1/08/2010 5:48pm at .

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 6:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Benny is someone who has trained for many years however he makes many false claims as saying he is a world champion blackbelt, and claims to have beaten gracies after 1 month of training with them. He also bashes other instructors in town and claims to have beaten certain people, when i asked those people they said they have never even rolled with the guy so you can make your assumptions based off that.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 8:25pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As mentioned above, in 2007, Benny competed as a Blue Belt in the Seniors division:

Quote Originally Posted by IBJJF 2007 PanAms Results
    Blue Belt Senior II
    Feather
    First Benny Benavides Rey Diogo
    So, just over 3 years later, how is he now a 4th Degree Black Belt in "Jiu Jitsu" (the Brazilian spelling of the art):

?

Just for a frame of reference, the IBJJF recommends the following MINIMUM amount of times between promotions:

2 yrs: blue -> purple
    1.5 yrs: purple -> brown
    1 yr: brown -> black
    3 yrs: 1st degree
    3 yrs: 2nd degree
    3 yrs: 3rd degree
    5 yrs: 4th degree

Those are guidelines that not everybody adheres to, but is indicative of the minimum time frames that most schools (including the top competing schools) adhere to. There are exceptions of course, but not usually after getting a black belt; the degrees usually time-based rather than performance based.
    Last edited by Uncle Skippy; 1/24/2011 8:33pm at .

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 8:55pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So there was a Benny Benavides on team Rey Diogo who took first place in the Senior II Blue Belt Featherweight class in the 2007 Pan Ams. Rey Diogo is a well known name in BJJ circles:

http://www.reydiogo.com/

Perhaps someone should check with Rey Diogo to see if the Benny Benavides in the Xtreem Jiu Jitsu website is the same Benny Benavides who competed on his team in the Pan Ams. It would also be interesting to get Rey Diogo's take on how the bluebelt on his team in 2007 could now be a 4th degree black belt.

I also noticed that Benavides provides no lineage information whatsoever.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 1:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Assuming he went up after pan ams, that leaves 3.5 years to get from purple to black. Possible. The degrees don't seem to work, but I could buy the rank, especially considering an abu dhabi related promotion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 2:14am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is fucking way he is a fourth degree black belt in BJJ.......**** I started BJJ in 95 and I am only a 1st degree BB. He is full of it if he claims this. I just sent him a message via his website asking if he is claiming to be a 4th degree black belt in BJJ...I also asked him who is his instructor is. Lets see if he responds.

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 4:39am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like i said earlier the guy makes false claims and i hear his school is closed now.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 11:04am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    There is fucking way he is a fourth degree black belt in BJJ.......**** I started BJJ in 95 and I am only a 1st degree BB. He is full of it if he claims this. I just sent him a message via his website asking if he is claiming to be a 4th degree black belt in BJJ...I also asked him who is his instructor is. Lets see if he responds.
    You should've kissed more ass. Seriously though, I've met dozen of blackbelts that trained well before 95 that are sporting only first degrees. This whole multiple degree in BJJ seems fairly new to me outside of GJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 12:05pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    You should've kissed more ass. Seriously though, I've met dozen of blackbelts that trained well before 95 that are sporting only first degrees. This whole multiple degree in BJJ seems fairly new to me outside of GJJ.
    OOPs I meant there is NO way he is a fourth degree black belt.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast