Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/02/2010 3:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aikido as selfdefense

aikido has it true points and also false ones. training is a problem many instructors don't want to bring real scenarios into the the mat. i think it has to do with their training .also i think for aikido to be used practically it depends on scenarios just like all arts .Boxing against a trained grappler might have no chance. Aikido is a grappling art lats of the locks can be found in any of the other jujutsu arts but the aikido schools have become more sanctuaries to non realistic application and more of and artist paradise were they can interpret the form of aikido . Also original aikidoka were skilled in other forms such as judo.

Many new students come in thinking aikido is a complete art but it is not. because of this factor usually none have a background in a core art such as judo or other grappling arts. Aikido is the icing in the cake for judoka it teaches them the finer points but not the meat and potatoes of a true rumble their is aikidoka that are able to use some of their skill but that would be dan level practitioners ,

if you look at such aikido master as Saotome he has a judo background
    and many of his high ranking students osensei him self had studied judo.
    also
    i think combining both or at least having a understanding of bjj and judo would let you know if aikido moves could work everyday application also aikido is not self defense. its a classical martial arts such as kung fu all have limitation in real life application. Such does judo.

Posted On:
    1/02/2010 5:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido for self defense is a waste of training time. Low percentage techniques practiced in a compliant manner against unrealistic attacks (holy crap, this guy is running full speed at me and is about to grab my wrist!).

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/02/2010 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so what youre saying is aikido wont teach you self defense? id agree with that.

Posted On:
    1/02/2010 6:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    teaches traditional art
    krav maga is self defense

Posted On:
    1/02/2010 6:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    aikido is not a waste just as long you now limitations
    aikido tech nicks must be applied by using strikes

Posted On:
    1/02/2010 6:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by muudib View Post
    teaches traditional art
    krav maga is self defense
    Please use complete sentences.

What is your experience in the arts you've talked about: aikido, judo, BJJ, krav maga, and kung fu? Please specify the style(s) of kung fu.

Your point that aikido used to be a "gravy" art that experienced judoka practiced is well taken. Beyond that I have a hard time figuring out what you're saying.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    1/02/2010 7:30pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by muudib View Post
    aikido is not a waste just as long you now limitations
    aikido tech nicks must be applied by using strikes
    Listen, if you are a tough guy and manage to find some good aikido you may actually learn a few useful things. However, if you applied the same time and energy to another art (Judo, MT, BJJ, Boxing, Sambo, KK Karate, MMA,) you will be much more further of the game. Aikido for self defense is a waste of time. And money.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2010 7:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's the limitations that make it a waste for so many people.

Krav Maga is self defense?

I'm puzzled by that statement.

What qualifies it as self defense over Aikido, or over anything else that you mentioned really?

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    1/02/2010 9:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sigh...

Again. If you really want to learn self-defense; take one of those model mugging type courses for real time basic training in the core concepts.

Then pick a martial sport (boxing, wrestling, Judo, BJJ/GJJ, wrestling, kickboxing, mma etc) for your growth and mastery of the skill set.

Learning was personal protection devises are legal in your state, and mastering them is also a very good idea. Meaning if your state is shall issue, learn how to use a hand gun and get a licence to carry it. You STILL do the first two things as well.

THAT is the real path to serious self-defense skills. All else is flummery.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 9:46am

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido can be used for self-defense, as can any contact martial art. Police departments all over the world use aikido for the restraining and subduing of violent suspects. In Japan, the home of jujutsu, karate, and judo, both the riot police and the secret service are trained in aikido.

The reasons aikido gets such a bad rap as an art for self-defense are that (a) aikidoists don't get to practice at realistic speeds or against realistic resistance until they are relatively advanced compared to practitioners of other martial arts, and (b) many people choose to practice aikido as more of a meditative dance than a martial art.

I have a problem with the people mentioned in B, because I think they miss out on the whole point of martial arts training and give a lot of people the wrong idea about aikido.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast