Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2010 1:57pm

Style: Ninjutsu/Isshinryu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone use an AR-15 in 6.8 mm?

(Nothing like the helplessness following knee surgery to rekindle my love of firearms.)

Anyway, I am in the market for a post apocalypse rifle. I shoot my handguns and a shotgun at least monthly, but I have not fired a rifle since the Army Reserves > 15 years ago. Budget (if I don't want a divorce) 1-1.5k $$.

I'm leaning towards an AR-15 as I at least know the parts of an M-16 and I can add accessories when I have more funds. However, I notice many people feel the .556 is too wimpy and the kick of a .308 may be too much. The 6.8mm sounds just right. (Kind of like Goldilocks.)

Does anyone have any experience with the 6.8 (or 6.5) version?

Here is my top pick at the moment:
    http://www.stagarms.com/product_info...roducts_id=210

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards

:sniperdan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2010 2:49pm

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gothamator View Post
    (Nothing like the helplessness following knee surgery to rekindle my love of firearms.)

Anyway, I am in the market for a post apocalypse rifle. I shoot my handguns and a shotgun at least monthly, but I have not fired a rifle since the Army Reserves > 15 years ago. Budget (if I don't want a divorce) 1-1.5k $$.

I'm leaning towards an AR-15 as I at least know the parts of an M-16 and I can add accessories when I have more funds. However, I notice many people feel the .556 is too wimpy and the kick of a .308 may be too much. The 6.8mm sounds just right. (Kind of like Goldilocks.)

Does anyone have any experience with the 6.8 (or 6.5) version?

Here is my top pick at the moment:
    http://www.stagarms.com/product_info...roducts_id=210

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards

:sniperdan

I highly highly recommend the 6.5 Grendel. Shoots flat, and has better ballistics at 1000 yards than even the 7.62.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2010 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chi-conspiricy View Post
    I highly highly recommend the 6.5 Grendel. Shoots flat, and has better ballistics at 1000 yards than even the 7.62.

6.5 is certainly good. 6.8 is...well, good to a degree; however, unless you're a fucking millionaire, I wouldn't mess with it. The ammunition is the very definition of cost-prohibitive. Trust me: 5.56 with defensive-type ammunition (hollow point, pro point, etc.) is all you really need in an average size, battle rifle. Of course, the military has issues because they're using the straight ball type ammo (with penetrators, of course), but it doesn't expand and doesn't do **** as far as screwing you up on the inside like a hollow point does. For your average self-defense scenario, 5.56 is fine.