Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    1/07/2010 9:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser View Post
    The thing that worries me is that Overeem is starting to resemble a Rob Liefeld illustration brought to life. Pretty soon he'll be eight feet tall with a shrunken head and a face tighter than Roy Nelson's bike shorts.
    I don't think so.

I think Rob Liefeld actually modelled some of his characters after Overeem.

Spoiler:

See? See?!

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    1/07/2010 12:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only thing telling about Overeem being in Japan is that K-1 pays a hell of a lot better.

Posted On:
    1/07/2010 5:01pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    The only thing telling about Overeem being in Japan is that K-1 pays a hell of a lot better.
    Than Strikeforce? I don't know what K1 pays (you seem to...what do they pay?), but Strikeforce paid Cung Le 150 k, Carano 125 k, Frank Shamrock 300 k and Fedor makes more than any of them, according to Scott Coker.

How much could K1 be paying, at a time where combat sports are at a huge low in Japan?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2010 7:34pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think K-1 GP purse is $400k. I know that's not each fighters pay; just throwing another data point out there. But the real money, like any sport, comes from the sponsors.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2010 10:46pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    I don't think so.

I think Rob Liefeld actually modelled some of his characters after Overeem.

Spoiler:

See? See?!

I dont mean to nitpick, but doesnt Overeems head seem slightly out of proportion?

Or was that the cartoon?......oh well.

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 12:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong since I haven't looked up modern numbers, but don't fighters in japan make HUGE amounts of cash from their fan base? Like the more popular you are, the more they want you in there and the more you get from ad's, sponsors, etc...
    I heard that Masato brings 1/3 of the audience during the MAX GP. Now that does sounds pretty crazy but taking into account how crazy nationalistic and as much of a pretty boy Masato is (the girl to guy ratio in the audience is like 50/50 or something like that from the footage I've seen, but then again I'm just throwing out a guess) it would make sense that Overeem is making serious cash in Japan.
    Add the fact that the UFC actually does drug testing AND has had problems in the past with fighters salaries/contracts, it wouldn't be in Overeem's best interest to leave Japan since he is fairly popular there.

Does anyone know in depth what the statistics are? Like the average salaries or popularity of specific fighters in Japan who compete in MMA and K-1??? I really just made a personal and vague observation, I really don't any of these numbers in exact detail.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 6:57pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking of Japanese MMA, I saw Bob Sapp the other day...for the 2ND TIME. Right outside the base...previously I had seen him in Roppongi. But this time, when I was not extremely drunk, he looked kind of old and worn down.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 7:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post

Overeem has gone from being a medium sized Light Heavyweight to a HUGE heavyweight in just a few years. He could (probably) have gained the weight naturally but his reluctance to fight regularly in the US seems to be telling.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he were on steroids (it is my default assumption for all fighters/athletes) however you're misstating Overeem's status as a LHW. Overeem was always a big LHW in the sense that the cut was very bad for him. It isn't unreasonable to think that once he stopped cutting he grew a lot naturally (I've known that to be the case for several wrestlers). I wouldn't be surprised if we see similar growth whenever Anthony Johnson stops cutting to 170.

Then again the last time Overeem fought in the US (end of 07) he was only 220ish.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 7:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off View Post
    Than Strikeforce? I don't know what K1 pays (you seem to...what do they pay?), but Strikeforce paid Cung Le 150 k, Carano 125 k, Frank Shamrock 300 k and Fedor makes more than any of them, according to Scott Coker.

How much could K1 be paying, at a time where combat sports are at a huge low in Japan?
    Cung Le and Frank had absurd, by Strikeforce standards, pay. This was in large part due to their Bay Area drawing power. Most Strikeforce fighters top out around 30-40k.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345