Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2010 12:20am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Ryan cant teach you boxing why did you say this

“I have been one of Ryan’s boxing students for over a year. I am currently preparing to compete in the ring as an amateur boxer, having been thoroughly educated in boxing techniques, fitness, and strategy by the coaches at the gym. Ryan Gruhn teaches the advanced boxing classes, which are very physically demanding, and extremely educative. Through full contact sparring I have had the chance to test the boxing skills I have learned at the gym, and found that Ryan has taught me very effective means of protecting myself and executing aggressive ring strategy. Ryan teaches us some very intelligent boxing tactics, and hammers on our fundamentals until they come automatically. Having observed amateur boxing bouts involving fighters from many different gyms, I believe that Ryan teaches us superior, yet simple boxing technique that will make me a fearsome amateur boxer.”

~ Dave Vacco...
    (Dr.Mayhem)
    was this before you were the only one in State College who knew the "sweet science"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2010 6:54am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, I came on this thread thinking its gonna be about some sort of accountant's MMA program, turns out its very different.

Anyway, from what I gather, entirely out of your view of the event, it does seem that possibly, lionheart has violated the terms of the contract with the CPAMMA members, if this is the case (can't possibly tell, not a lawyer, and haven't seen the actual contract) then you certainly don't owe them jack and might actually be owed something by them - depending on the case and the local laws where you live.

You should however read the contract carefully, to see where you stand. Just my quick analysis of this event.Hope this turns out well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2010 10:33am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just found this thread. So, G-Off what's the new place like? Somewhere on N Atherton I guess from trying to read the facebook thread. Did you get many new students?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 11:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More evidence of what a quality person Ryan is.

http://mmaschoolsearch.com/component...,sobi2Details/

He made this listing clearly aware that Titan was not closing, in an attempt to squat on their keywords, and mislead customers.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 11:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis View Post
    I too would like to hear Ryan’s side of the story as there seems to me more to it than this given Ryan posted the following on 9/8/09 (some three months prior to this event):

Seems there is some underlying “stuff” going on here.

In any regard, getting let go always sucks and screwing over what appears to be the 100+ students Ryan brought with him is shameful. Give Ryan my best and I’m sure he’ll work through this and be better because of it!

Scurvy Dog
    Exactly

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 11:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cantfight View Post
    If Ryan cant teach you boxing why did you say this

“I have been one of Ryan’s boxing students for over a year. I am currently preparing to compete in the ring as an amateur boxer, having been thoroughly educated in boxing techniques, fitness, and strategy by the coaches at the gym. Ryan Gruhn teaches the advanced boxing classes, which are very physically demanding, and extremely educative. Through full contact sparring I have had the chance to test the boxing skills I have learned at the gym, and found that Ryan has taught me very effective means of protecting myself and executing aggressive ring strategy. Ryan teaches us some very intelligent boxing tactics, and hammers on our fundamentals until they come automatically. Having observed amateur boxing bouts involving fighters from many different gyms, I believe that Ryan teaches us superior, yet simple boxing technique that will make me a fearsome amateur boxer.”

~ Dave Vacco...
    (Dr.Mayhem)
    was this before you were the only one in State College who knew the "sweet science"

That website was created in 2009, check the Whois records. Dave Vacco was teaching boxing at Titan during the entire existence of CPAMMA.com as a website. Just because Gruhn puts **** on his website, doesn't mean it's true or actually happened.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 11:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off View Post
    However, all of them seem to hinge on the 3rd rumor...

Lionheart gym is rumored to be losing money alarmingly fast. This one seems more of an open secret. Although State College is remarkably recession-resistant, local businesses are still having trouble, money-wise.
    The owners of Lionheart Fitness and The North Club, have totally rennovated Titan Fitness' old building with new windows, tiles, locker rooms, floors, mats, bathrooms, plumbing and heating and it will be open when students return as "The Downtown Club."

So much for being short on money or in financial trouble, they just expanded to a new location after completely remodeling it, within 4 months of acquiring the building.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 1:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JustinUofCombat
    That testimonial was on the RCF and old TItan Pages if you were not a noob you would know this. If your not a noob then you are one the Titan guys and your are being dishonest why dont you ask Vacco about that. Squating on key words the titan blog had central pa BJJ tagged before you guys had Billy teaching so give me a break. By the way CPAMMA has 5 purple belts in the gym, A muy thai kuhn Kru (at least thou yat what Ajarn Chai says -we know you guys like fake thai credentials) , Several D1 wresltlers, CSW level2 instructor who actually rolls with people. So have learning "UFC with Bruce" . You wanna keep this up because I keep making you look stupid

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 1:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who cornered Dave Vacco's first fights btw?

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 2:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gruhn taught my first boxing class, at Titan fitness, and I wrote that testimonial for him BECAUSE HE SOLICITED THEM. My testimonial truly speaks to my naivete at the time. I had not yet competed, nor had I ever had a real boxing coach.

Once I competed in my first two bouts, with Ryan Gruhn in my corner, I quickly learned that Gruhn (A) didn't even know the rules of amateur boxing, (B) unknowingly trained me to execute moves that are illegal, for which I was penalized, and (C) proved to have ZERO understanding of boxing strategy. Gruhn's coaching from my corner amounted to no more than repeatedly screaming "GO DAVE GO!!!! GOOOOOOOO !! GOOOOOOO!!!!"

After my first two fights, I quickly dropped Gruhn as my coach, and I promptly started training at a REAL gym with REAL coaches, the Altoona Boxing Club and Coach Tommy Wilt. I also learned from Coach Walter Kravitsky. I had many more fights, of which I only lost one. I have never stopped training and studying the sport of boxing. I have learned the sweet science from 7 different coaches, including every style, strategy, and training method that exists.

As a boxing coach, I am horrified at the arrogance of a person whom will put fighters in the ring for a sport in which he has never competed. In a sport where there is serious risk of injury, and losing often means taking a beating, the heinous irresponsibility of CPAMMA competing in amateur boxing is scary to me. You guys have some serious balls stepping in the ring for a coach whom never competed in any combat sport.

You might as well learn basketball from a coach who never played the game. When you practice he never lets you play 5 on 5. Then he throws you on the court and expects you to win.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast