Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 8:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Bartitsu: the Lost Martial Art of Sherlock Holmes" preview trailer

YouTube- Documentary preview trailer: "Bartitsu - the Lost Martial Art of Sherlock Holmes"

A new preview trailer for the upcoming full-length documentary on Bartitsu.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 9:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So when will the full documentary be out and wear can we see it than?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 9:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aiming for an international release on DVD and rent-on-demand/buy-on-demand streaming download, sometime around the beginning of February.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/03/2010 6:23pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me get this straight. Bartitsu only exists as a "Martial Arts style" for a few years under a single guy and he closed his school after only a few years over a 100 years ago. Now because it was mentioned in Sherlock Holmes some guys are "recreating it", without any link to the original style?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2010 8:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Rolls sleeves up*

Basically, "yes".

However, I know that will require some explanation, so here goes; Barton-Wright's original Bartitsu Club only lasted a few years. Thus, Bartitsu was left as a work in progress; a self-defense oriented cross-training system between "British jujitsu", scientific boxing (fisticuffs), low kicking and the Vigny system of stick fighting, with a competitive dimension. Think of it as a martial arts experiment, rather than as a completed, codified martial art in itself.

Barton-Wright recorded some aspects of Bartitsu in great detail; about forty ko-ryu jujitsu kata and stick fighting sequences, plus articles, lectures etc. Supplemented by a couple of other sources, that curriculum forms the basis of the "canonical Bartitsu" practiced today. It's roughly equivalent to the ko-ryu kata in trad. JMA.

"Neo-Bartitsu" refers to the modern project of reviving and continuing Barton-Wright's experiment, using the canonical material as a basis, but supplemented by a much wider range of secondary sources, all gathered from the period 1898-1923. Think of it as "Edwardian Jeet Kune Do".

As to why? Basically the same reason people re-create Renaissance-era longsword fencing, or play "old time" baseball instead of the modern sport. Bartitsu tends to appeal to people who combine the unusual interests of Victorian/Edwardian history with MMA/JKD type "eclectic" martial arts. It's fun, good exercise, and can be turned towards sport or self defense if that's what you want to do with it.

The Sherlock Holmes connection is that, if not for the mention in one of Arthur Conan Doyle's stories, Bartitsu might have been completely forgotten during the 20th century.

Posted On:
    1/03/2010 8:43pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Let me get this straight. Bartitsu only exists as a "Martial Arts style" for a few years under a single guy and he closed his school after only a few years over a 100 years ago. Now because it was mentioned in Sherlock Holmes some guys are "recreating it", without any link to the original style?
    You can be such a cynic... I bet you hate steampunk too.

It's my understanding people were re-creating the style long before the Holmes movie came out. As Ddlr points out, it's a particular taste.

BTW: nice Emerson.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2010 8:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post

It's my understanding people were re-creating the style long before the Holmes movie came out. As Ddlr points out, it's a particular taste.
    Oh, yeah - if that wasn't clear, the "revival" started back around 2001, almost as soon as Barton-Wright's work was rediscovered.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/03/2010 8:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is Barton-Wright's relation to Ko-ryu Jujutsu?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/03/2010 8:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer magepunk to steampunk. But steampunk can be pretty awesome.

I didn't intend to imply it was recreated because of the movie. What I was pointing out was it wasn't like Greco-Roman Wrestling or Pankration which were established historical styles that were refounded. Bartitsu seems to be some guys experiment that only lasted a few years and died.

BTW: nice Emerson.
    Emersons are pretty kick ass.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2010 9:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    What is Barton-Wright's relation to Ko-ryu Jujutsu?
    He studied at the Shinden Fudo Ryu dojo of sensei Terajima Kuniichiro in Kobe, between roughly 1895-98. He also said that he'd taken some lessons with Professor Kano, and that he'd later corresponded with Kano to arrange for three Japanese instructors to travel to London and teach at his Bartitsu Club. Of the original three, two (K. Tani and S. Yamamoto) soon returned to Japan; the youngest, Yukio Tani (who was 19 when he arrived in London) stayed, and was shortly joined by another young buck named Sadakazu Uyenishi.

The actual jiujitsu content of Bartitsu, as in what was being taught at the Club, seems to have been a combination of Shinden Fudo Ryu, judo and whatever else the four Japanese instructors brought to the table. We know virtually nothing about K. Tani and S. Yamamoto. Uyenishi was apparently trained at the Handa dojo in Osaka, and he claimed that Tani studied there as well; it seems to have had connections to both Kodokan judo and the Fusen Ryu.

The concept of strict adherence to a particular ryu never really penetrated the English self defense "scene"; it was all just jiujitsu to them.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast