Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 12:19pm

Style: Muay Thai, Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    Generally i noticed the following things: they stop ALL THE TIME, its baked into them, they make a lunge punch with no guard so i counter with an overhand one could see coming a mile away but it still gets them by srprise.
    they have no combinations in their skillset, just flashy quick attacks that dont even hurt.
    on which i take and counter.
    I don't agree with combinations since those are trained often in point sparring competitions, but jumping in with a gyaku tsuki was and still is one of my main pet peeves of karate point sparring competition. They'd jump in and I countered with a punch to the face and got a warning. Sigh, I hated when that happened.

An amusing aside to this point you make above. We always had sweeps when we fought and I asked a few teachers around town about why no throws? I was told that karate guys thought that throws were too slow. These guys felt that the quickest way to take a man off his feet was to whipsaw his ass.
    Throws are used quite often in competition karate. Rafael Aghayev, current top WKF competitor, gets most of his points from throws.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 2:16pm

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We dont start /stop so much as 3 min rounds then we switch partners, we do that for an hour or so. i think it works out you get a 3 min break every 9 minutes. If you sweep or throw your opponent you have 30 secs to do something before it gets stood back up.
    Throw the technique with power and accuracy, and quickness, 3 things Machida always does. Machida uses his hands to set up his sweeps. If he's punching you thats what your focused on so he throws a low sweep in and you never see it coming. Works even better if you have a guy who covers up when hes getting hit because then you can pull him off balance as you sweep. Im actually surprised more of Machidas opponents arent out looking for okinawan karate guys to spar with, get a better understanding of why Machida is so elusive.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 3:29pm

Style: Karate/Judo/Iaido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok..without reading the 57 other posts in this thread, I'll answer the question from my pov. point sparring/fighting/kumite is worthless. It teaches bad habits. I was taught by my teacher continuous hard contact kumite..you get hit in the face once..you learn to guard the next time..you get knocked down with a punch to the chest or a kick to the gut...you learn to block and avoid.
    Your body will also be tougher and more pain resistant over time..You get hit hard, and get rid of the 'flinch factor' that happens when so many 'traditional' martial arts students get hit in a real fight for the first time.
    My teacher always told us that the hardest fight should be in the dojo..Train how you fight so that you'll fight how you train.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 3:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by columbusdojo View Post
    ok..without reading the 57 other posts in this thread, I'll spout off some redundant **** that makes no sense in the context of this thread and is not pertaining to anything that's been discusses because I like to hear myself talk.

Fixed that for you

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 3:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    Fixed that for you
    thanks douche

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 3:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fixed that for you
    goju-joe, the op question was "is point sparring worthless"? which I replied to. and then further explained my opinion why I said it was worthless..
    .redundant? no
    makes no sense? to you.
    not pertaining to anything that's been discussed? wrong; it was directly a response to the original post.

Thanks for playing.:new_blueg

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 4:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You ignore the 57 posts where many of your points were brought up and discussed.

Your "contribution" was pointless and irrelevant

By not reading anything and spouting your hackneyed response like

" ..Train how you fight so that you'll fight how you train. "

was trite and tired and displays a closed and narrow mind

Play again when you have something original or worthwhile to add.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 4:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fixed that for you
    You ignore the 57 posts where many of your points were brought up and discussed.

Your "contribution" was pointless and irrelevant

Play again when you have something original or worthwhile to add.
    ok, in my first sentence I stated that I had not yet read the other posts.

then you say my contribution was pointless and irrelevant RIGHT AFTER you said "many of your points were brought up and discussed".

I quoted my teacher's mantra/favorite saying and this is perceived by you as a hackneyed response, and trite, and tired, and it shows I have a narrow mind...WOW! all that from quoting my teacher...your mental powers of perception far surpass mine..mind giving me the powerball numbers...it's worth a shot!:inlove:

I think I love you

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 4:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You ignore the 57 posts where many of your points were brought up and discussed. I am ignoring the fact that you stated that you had not read the other 57 posts.

Your "contribution" was pointless and irrelevant (I don't understand or agree with your point of view)

(I'm really really angry that you posted without reading all the other posts first...even though I agree with you)/

Play again when you have something original or worthwhile to add.(I cant think of anything else to say)
    There, I fixed it for ya!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 4:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Point sparring blows dog..:toothy10:
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast