Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 3:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No Machida is more than super quick reflexes. He solved one of the issues with karate by using reaps and sweeps combined with sideways movements so when boxers and Muay thai strikers came in they ended up on their ass.

It's a lot of technique they haven't seen before and can't figure out. Because of that these guys stay back and are now fighting in a range they're not comfortable with which is more in line with where you find point fighters fighting at.

The only other person I think who does **** like this is Cung Le

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 3:14am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so what we have here is either

a) im doing a **** job of explaining
    b) youre an idiot
    c) youre being purposefully obtuse

either way i cant explain this in simpler terms, so ill leave it at that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 3:17am

Style: ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    or...

a) You have no point to explain

b) You are close-minded (MUAY THAI IS DA LIGHT!!!!!!1 )

c) You learned the art of talking **** without debating the thread on forums...
    Last edited by aznraven; 12/30/2009 3:20am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 6:22am

Style: Muay Thai, Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say that point sparring teaches good habits but also some bad habits.
    I find that my sense of distance as well as evasive movements are superior to that of the savate or MT practitioners I now train with. I also use more feints than they do, as well as being faster though I believe these to be more my characteristics then characteristics received from point sparring. I had these advantages in point sparring as well.

On the other hand, there was one major bad habit I had to get out though. And that was backing off when I made a clean hit instead of continuing. Instead of pressing my advantage, I moved backwards.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 7:47am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never liked point sparring, but I can see the benefit. My TKD instructor was a point fighter and a kickboxer in the Early to Mid 80's and he still practises today, just no competing, and his timing is amazing. He and I spar using modified Sport JJ rules, and he tools me all day long, until I get in close. That is where point sparring fails, but as part of the puzzle like one of the other posters said, I can see it being helpful.

We do point sparring ion our TKD dojang, but it is run more like ITF sparring than point or WTF. Adult advanced belts ( 2nd gup or higher) spar continuous point, medium to full contact, with the only required gear is mouthpiece, cup, and hand and foot pads. The kids wear head gear, and do light tappy, tappy.

The yudansha who have been doing it for a while will do full contact ITF rules (throws and takedowns, no ground work and no punches to the face, head kicks allowed all day long and the 3 points of contact rule)
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 8:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, guys can we stop by calling it Machida Karate, since it doesn't excist. Machida fights Shotokan Karate under the Start-Stop Full-Contact rules (like every Shotokan Karateka in Japan) and not the semi-contact point-spar rules (like almost every Shotokan Karateka in Europe and the US).

Second, Karate works under the Start-Stop Full-Contact ruleset IF after the initial blow the Karateka switches to Knock-Down Knock-Out ruleset (aka Kyokushin, etc...)

See it as a tool to get closer to your opponent without just standing in front of him and trading blows, but once the first contact is made you will be forced to trade blows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 8:28am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddest Santa View Post
    I never liked point sparring, but I can see the benefit. My TKD instructor was a point fighter and a kickboxer
    Tainted reality. Oh and you might want to look at some old school point sparring. It isn't the same as what is taught now.It evolved. If you look at the mid 70's to eighties at the height it was basically limited rules Kickboxing. So, if he trained in that, his pedigree is completely different.

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 8:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Tainted reality. Oh and you might want to look at some old school point sparring. It isn't the same as what is taught now.It evolved. If you look at the mid 70's to eighties at the height it was basically limited rules Kickboxing. So, if he trained in that, his pedigree is completely different.
    I have seen some of his point fights, and they are completely different from the point karate of today, but the basics cross over from then till now, as in making sure to keep your body covered to keep points from being scored since the head is such a small target.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 9:01am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddest Santa View Post
    I have seen some of his point fights, and they are completely different from the point karate of today, but the basics cross over from then till now, as in making sure to keep your body covered to keep points from being scored since the head is such a small target.
    No they do not. Training for full contact point sparring is not the same as insta hit stops.

Full contact was allowed to the head and the body you had to block. These basics are ignored in a large majority of Point sparring organizations now.

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 9:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No they do not. Training for full contact point sparring is not the same as insta hit stops.

Full contact was allowed to the head and the body you had to block. These basics are ignored in a large majority of Point sparring organizations now.

Hence the reason why I don't like point sparring. Only reason why i feel the basic do translate over, is because he teaches point sparring the same way that he did it.

I come from an ITF background where it is full contact continuous point fighting with takedowns.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast