Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last
  1. #1
    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Matt Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,753
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Why Scientific Skeptics are a Pain in the Ass

    I am posting this same thread on several other similar forums (different subjects) because I have the same observation to make there as well as here: Nominally claiming allegiance to Teh Science, regurgitating half understood material, and in general copping an attitude of enlightment without actually understanding the relevant technical material does more to weaken the scientific position (whichever one) than the "other-side" ever could.

    "F=MA"
    "We only use 10% of our brains"
    "Some day we'll find the gene for aggression"
    "The towers fell at free-fall speed"
    "A boxer's glove doubles the mass of the punch"
    "The jet fuel burned so hot it softened the steel"
    "Lift weights and you'll hit harder"

    SHUT THE **** UP!! If you have sufficient technical training to understand the words coming out of your mouth then you're excused. The rest of you go put in the work necessary to understand the basis of the things you are claiming your allegiance to, and check that understanding with a qualified instructor. If you're too busy congratulating yourself for being on the side of the Angels to bother doing so, then SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH until you change your mind. A subscription to Scientific American does not make you an expert in anything except reading magazines. Put your time in, get your training with a qualified instructor, and jump back in to the conversation. As of right now, you're embarassing yourself, your movement, and everyone else on this board.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 3/16/2010 9:37am at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

  2. #2
    i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    herndon, va, usa
    Posts
    3,521
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "F=MA"
    "We only use 10% of our brains"
    "Some day we'll find the gene for aggression"
    "The towers fell at free-fall speed"
    "A boxer's glove doubles the mass of the punch"
    "The jet fuel burned so hot it softened the steel"
    "Lift weights and you'll hit harder"
    (allowing for formatting,) one of these things is not like the others...

  3. #3
    Zapruder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Marcos, Tx
    Posts
    2,356
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should have thrown in some global warming stuff up in there...
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

  4. #4
    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Matt Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,753
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli View Post
    (allowing for formatting,) one of these things is not like the others...
    I suppose it depends on whether the person mentioning it understands what it means... and what it does not.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

  5. #5
    Coach Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,188
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That time of the month?

    Just noticed the Agnostic Front avatar very cool band just started listening to them.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

  6. #6
    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Matt Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,753
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    That time of the month?

    Just noticed the Agnostic Front avatar very cool band just started listening to them.
    Yes. And yes.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

  7. #7
    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Matt Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,753
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Just noticed the Agnostic Front avatar very cool band just started listening to them.
    This too, great vid:
    YouTube- Sick Of It All - Take The Night Off (Music Video)
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

  8. #8
    Coach Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,188
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    will have to wait till i get home to view it sorry.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    South Cali
    Posts
    26
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    I am posting this same thread on several other similar forums (different subjects) because I have the same observation to make there as well as here: Nominally claiming allegiance to Teh Science, regurgitating half understood material, and in general copping an attitude of enlightment without actually understanding the relevant technical material does more to weaken the scientific position (whichever one) than the "other-side" ever could.

    "F=MA"
    "We only use 10% of our brains"
    "Some day we'll find the gene for aggression"
    "The towers fell at free-fall speed"
    "A boxer's glove doubles the mass of the punch"
    "The jet fuel burned so hot it softened the steel"
    "Lift weights and you'll hit harder"

    SHUT THE **** UP!! If you have sufficient technical training to understand the words coming out of your mouth then you're excused. The rest of you go put in the work necessary to understand the basis of the things you are claiming your allegiance to, and check that understanding with a qualified instructor. If you're too busy congratulating yourself for being on the side of the Angels to bother doing so, then SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH until you change your mind. A subscription to Scientific American does not make you an expert in anything except reading magazines. Put your time in, get your training with a qualified instructor, and jump back in to the conversation. As of right now, you're embarassing yourself, your movement, and everyone else on this board.

    To be fair, this is why I lurk and just about never post anything. ... That having been said, my response is probably not terribly helpful.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    423

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO