221420 Bullies, 3981 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 21
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Sri Hanuman is offline
    Sri Hanuman's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,487

    Posted On:
    1/21/2010 3:59pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks to me like the review is pretty positive. If I was looking for a MT school, I'd definitely consider this one based on description.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

    Dipshit
  2. Sang is offline
    Sang's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,253

    Posted On:
    1/21/2010 11:18pm


     Style: MMA, Yoga

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah i see your point of view now JGP1, there may be too many feathers ruffled now but you should tell your school owner not to stress. This is a review of the "Muay Thai classes at Burbank Family Martial Arts" not the other classes offered at the school.

    When people are looking for Muay Thai classes THIS is the kind of place they are searching for. If your class was run like the rest of your school is advertised and reviewed on this forum it would have got an absolutely scathing review with big bold letters saying something like money making bullshido scheme cashing in on the success of Muay Thai without really offering Muay Thai, do not go here . Thai Boxing is not a gentle art, you cannot train it without receiving a few bruises as you and i both know (i'm a semi-pro MT fighter).
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon
  3. jspeedy is online now
    jspeedy's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,617

    Posted On:
    1/22/2010 12:15am


     Style: FMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the school sounded pretty good to start with. I'd have checked it out if I were in ther area. After hearing that the owner was pissed about the good review it makes me think twice about her character.

    " If you were a parent, unfamiliar with this forum/site, and you read this, would you bring your kid here? Be honest, because I know I wouldn't."

    Yeah I probably would bring my kid there. Forms, kiais, chuck norris poster sounds like a kids class. What's the problem? I don't want my kid (age 9)doing full contact sparring, not till she gets a little older. I think most parents want the same for their kid, something constructive and safe. They don't want to see their kid get his/her ass beaten and don't likely want their kid beating up other kids. Most parents aren't looking to turn their kid into an elemantary school heavyweight champ. The owner needs to relax (IMO) and take a compliment. The review was positive.

    You(JGP1) and the school's owner had the unique opportunity to view someone's honest opinion of the school. The most negative comment was that some of the students in the class were "doughy" and most likely new. From the sound of things these guys won't be dough boys for long. If what the OP said is true what's the big deal. The truth can hurt but a lot can be learned from it. If the owner is that upset perhaps she can learn from this and change anything she didn't like.
  4. Petter is offline

    12th level logic wielder

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,964

    Posted On:
    1/22/2010 12:32am


     Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JGP1 View Post
    I didn't just come to this conclusion that the op was being disrespectful on my own. On Mon night when I came in to teach, the head of the school showed me a copy of this post. She was LIVID, pissed off is too mellow of a term.
    It sounds like someone has an attitude and anger management problem. It’s not the OP.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”
  5. Asriel is offline
    Asriel's Avatar

    I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    3,795

    Posted On:
    1/22/2010 5:09am

    supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've just read the review again and I'm sorry but I can't see a bad review or even a good review written badly in there.

    I would definitely go to the school if I were looking for MT. If I wanted to enroll my kid in a Karate class, I'd come down and check the place out as there is nowhere near enough information on that part of it for me to form an opinion.

    The school owner accused you of writing a favourable review of yourself? Oh noes!!1!11

    We're happy to listen to what you have to say James but I'm afraid you're going to have to point out the specific lines in the review that you think are bad. As far as I'm concerned, this is a great review for you.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

    " I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

    "Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

    "Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

    "That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

  6. JGP1 is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4

    Posted On:
    1/22/2010 7:15pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, San Soo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys, first let me say thanks on weighing in. I appreciate what you all have said. My main probs that I stated before are that it upset people. As I stated before, I realize that the op was trying to do something positive. As I also stated before, internet reviews pos, negative, in between don't bother me in the slightest. It's the internet. My only problem was with what caused the reactions of the people that read it (which I tried to outline in my first post response). I'm beating a dead horse, but I feel like I'm not being understood. Remember, it's hard to understand tone in writing, but I'm not pissed about the review. I didn't even post until I'd heard from everyone who felt (right or wrong) involved. At that point I was trying to get the op to understand the perspectives of others that I feel responsible for. To teach, that's part of my job which I take very seriously (kinda old school like that).
    As far as the oh noes about the head of the school being pissed and blaming me? Bro, really? That's the place I hang my hat. Right or wrong, fair or not, they could send me packing for this. Which means I have to start over, all my hard work wasted. This might not seem like a big deal to you, but it is to me. I'd handle it, as I have many other problems thrown my way, and as any good warrior should, but it doesn't mean I won't stress and be unhappy about it.
    It's obvious now (and to me always was, maybe unfortunately) that some folk are sensitive about things they feel personally about. I actually understand, was that way myself a while back (really who wasn't at some point of their lives). Whether you agree with them or not, because this post was about me and mine, as well as others, I have the "wonderful" responsibility of trying to deal with it.
    But at this point I'm done. This will probably never be resolved to everyone's satisfaction, and I'm frankly bone tired of all the emotions surrounding this (mine and everyone else's). Again I appreciate what you all have said about it and the respectful words and tones you've used to weight in with. Hopefully you feel I've done the same.
    Good luck to all with their training.
    J
  7. Sri Hanuman is offline
    Sri Hanuman's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,487

    Posted On:
    1/22/2010 7:21pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your job is threatened because of someone else's online review, you are more than able to take it to court. You sound like a really level headed guy, and one hell of an instructor, and it would suck if you did lose your job because of this. But again, the boss needs to take a closer look, and see that the review is specifically for the MT class, and it is indeed, a positive review that would entice pretty much everyone that weighed in on this, to take a class at your school, were they in the area.

    Best of luck to you, hope things go smoothly.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

    Dipshit
  8. Pandinha is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    8,751

    Posted On:
    1/22/2010 7:35pm

    supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't find anything that is negative on a TRUTHFUL accounting of their experience at your class.

    In fact, till I read the comments from you, lambasting the OP, I was seriously considering coming in for a class.

    You were given HIGH marks for your school, for your school ratings. Obviously, the gym is lacking in equipment and other low marks, but for what this site loves to see, a "9" for aliveness.

    I'd count to 10 and re think your position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
  9. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,764

    Posted On:
    1/22/2010 8:18pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JGP1 View Post
    Guys, first let me say thanks on weighing in. I appreciate what you all have said. My main probs that I stated before are that it upset people. As I stated before, I realize that the op was trying to do something positive. As I also stated before, internet reviews pos, negative, in between don't bother me in the slightest. It's the internet. My only problem was with what caused the reactions of the people that read it (which I tried to outline in my first post response). I'm beating a dead horse, but I feel like I'm not being understood. Remember, it's hard to understand tone in writing, but I'm not pissed about the review. I didn't even post until I'd heard from everyone who felt (right or wrong) involved. At that point I was trying to get the op to understand the perspectives of others that I feel responsible for. To teach, that's part of my job which I take very seriously (kinda old school like that).
    As far as the oh noes about the head of the school being pissed and blaming me? Bro, really? That's the place I hang my hat. Right or wrong, fair or not, they could send me packing for this. Which means I have to start over, all my hard work wasted. This might not seem like a big deal to you, but it is to me. I'd handle it, as I have many other problems thrown my way, and as any good warrior should, but it doesn't mean I won't stress and be unhappy about it.
    It's obvious now (and to me always was, maybe unfortunately) that some folk are sensitive about things they feel personally about. I actually understand, was that way myself a while back (really who wasn't at some point of their lives). Whether you agree with them or not, because this post was about me and mine, as well as others, I have the "wonderful" responsibility of trying to deal with it.
    But at this point I'm done. This will probably never be resolved to everyone's satisfaction, and I'm frankly bone tired of all the emotions surrounding this (mine and everyone else's). Again I appreciate what you all have said about it and the respectful words and tones you've used to weight in with. Hopefully you feel I've done the same.
    Good luck to all with their training.
    J
    Basically, you guys have your perspective he has his right? Yeah, that's called life. Your class received a great review. What it sounds like to me is envy. The head instructor didn't like the slightly negative comments about her class. The head instructor is pissed and yelled at you in turn, you bitched about a positive review for your class. I'd say she is pretty good to get you all twisted up.

    Which is weird because, that drives a certain demographic to your class. The kind of people that will walk on by because, of the kiddie class perception of the school.
  10. Justin C is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    27

    Posted On:
    1/26/2010 3:10pm


     Style: W.H.S.F.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He did mention that the reviewer never actually sparred him as claimed.Even if the review was fantastic it started on a lie so I can easily understand james being a little upset and offering the student a chance to come forward and get over the whole thing was a very responsible way of handling it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.