Posted On:
    12/29/2009 3:39am

Style: DZR JJ, Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai classes at Burbank Family Martial Arts

Okay, first of all, the website. This one:

http://bfmakarate.com/

Go ahead, we'll wait. Back already? Yeah, I had the same reaction. Don't give up yet. Early classes most afternoons/evenings are standard kid karate stuff, replete with kiais, forms, Chuck Norris posters, and anxious/bored moms and dads watching.

But the place was RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER from my new house, and they said they'd recently added Muay Thai and San Soo to their curriculum. So I figure, I'll go and check out the MT, see what's what.

Get there, the place is old-school in a huge way. Two smallish rooms, one with carpet-over-cement, the other with interlocking (uh) cushiony pads. Couple heavy bags, lots of headgear and pads. Funky smell, old training odor.

The MT instructor, James Parker, shows up. Intensely friendly. Not in an off-putting way, just like "hey, welcome, let's get started." Hand wraps, little warm up, right into "forms" he's sort of made up. I'm suspicious, but quickly realize its basically marching up and back a line doing first punches (jab, cross, hook, uppercuts), then elbows, then kicks, then knees. Warmup, basically. Relief.

The class is tiny. Four or five -- one kid from the karate class earlier (turns out she's something of a star at the school, forms and whatnot), a couple of guys who look like they can fight, and a couple of doughier guys who look like they can't. And one housewife trying it on for size. Fine.

Onto heavy bag work. Teep kick, right leg kick. Jab, right leg kick. Combinations. We break up and do pad work. It's a fairly new class, lot of newbies, so it's how to hold the pads for the kicks, how to turn your leg over for a leg kick.

This part of the class is fine, not as much of a workout as maybe I'd like, but the blood's pumping a little. Some of the guys seem to have a little skill. As for Parker, he's obviously in shape and has done his share of fighting. Periodically he breaks off and kind of mock-spars with one of the more senior guys, coming after them with combos to illustrate a point. They take light shots to the ribs and face and legs gamely. Still not sure where we're going.

It's a class of newbies, he says, so we don't spar that night. Mostly work pads and light contact to get a sense for leg kicks and such. He tells me come back Friday, that's when we spar for real. Okay, why not...

So I come back Friday, to find he's not kidding. Friday is sparring. An hour and a half of it. You basically throw in a mouth guard, glove up, and go at it for four minute rounds until you can't anymore. This was a still smaller class - just me, three senior students and Parker himself.

Knees and elbows are thrown on a mutually agreeable status -- if you want to, and I want to, okay then. Otherwise no. He says "go 20%", then leans over to me and says "That way, I know I can at least keep them down to 60-70%."

These guys go fucking HARD. Full out four minute rounds, they're heaving when each is over. Headgear gets knocked off, Parker says "**** it, leave it there. Keep going." Favorite quote, after one guy caught a semi-gnarly kick in the gut -- "If you're gonna puke, you'd better goddamn well make it outside."

When it's my turn, I spar with Parker himself. He goes pretty easy on me, but he's very good. Fast, aggressive, you leave an opening and he's gonna poke you in it. Leave it twice, he leaves a little mark there to remember him by. I'm spent when it's done, and I can tell he's cut me a lot of slack. I get a "not bad. Don't drop your hands for low kicks, or you're gonna wake up on the floor."

Bottom line -- he talks a little much during regular classes. I'm used to a little harder workout in class and a little less strategizing. This may be because he teaches an MMA conditioning workout additionally to the MT class -- not sure if it's extra money or not, it's too early for me to make it from work.

Decent guy, very open to discussion, and the more I get to know him, the more I get that this guy just LOVES to fight.

No formal team, but he encourages competition -- one of his students just took silver in a Pankration tournament (the kid's pretty damn good) and he advocates getting into any sanctioned fight you can find -- smokers, tourneys, whatever.

So I dunno. If you're in Burbank, can look past the grinning karate-kid vibe of the school itself, there's some interesting, alive MT instruction to check out. Stop by MWF, 7:30 - 9. I'm sticking it out -- seriously, a block from my house, it's a no-brainer. And I'm for damn sure gonna watch dropping my hands in sparring from now on...

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 8:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai at BFMA

Burbank Family Martial Arts IS a kids/family martial arts studio that offers MMA classes for teens/adults. If you are looking for an MMA gym, this is not the place for you. However, if you are looking for quality martial arts instruction for families/children, our instructors are all certified black belts, first aid and cpr trained, former and current state, national and world champions and most have degrees in Physical Education or Early Childhood developement. The instructors that teach the MMA classes fall in line with the school's basic philosophy; small class size, personal attention and a desire to train each and every student to their fullest potential. So if you are looking for a Muay Thai class with an instructor that not only knows his art, but is interested in actually teaching the finer points of technique as well as fighting, come check out the class. And yes the studio does possess a family atmosphere complete with not only Chuck Norris posters but a few UFC posters as well! The studio is well equipped with training aids for all styles that are offered but the success of the studio and its students lies within the outstanding instruction. One of the great things about offering the teen/adult MMA classes is that they immediately follow the kids classes, so as soon as the kids are done, mom and dad can jump right into their Muay Thai class while their children finish up their homework. Oh and if it's competiton or a fight you're looking for, we can set that up for you too and you can join the rest of our champions.

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 5:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, San Soo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do me a favor, don't do me any favors

My name is James Parker. I'm the instructor that was mentioned in the above post or "review", my class the class mentioned, and my students the one's mentioned. On Monday this post was brought to my attention and to be honest, I only created an account to address it. I have to admit, I am confused. On some level, albeit a very misguided and immature one, I think that this "student" is trying to get folk to be interested in my classes, to represent me. I have to say though, that they have done a terrible and damaging job (hence my confusion). 1) you disrespected more than a few of my students 2) you disrespected fellow instructors 3) you disrespected a school that I have come to cherish. If you would consider yourself a student of mine, truly, then this is something you would never do. You wouldn't disrespect classes that share the school mostly because I do NOT advocate putting down other styles (it's just ignorant). You wouldn't dare think to bag on other students, because although we don't have a formal fight team, we are a team (or family if you will) and you don't rag on your teammates. You wouldn't misquote me or take things out of context. You wouldn't lie. I think I know who you are, since in the post you narrow it down pretty well. If you are that person, then for the record, you NEVER sparred me (mostly because that is something I would never allow a brand new student to do, out of respect to their safety). So...you lied. To me this puts everything you've said in doubt. Please understand, I do not need someone to try and make me out to be some sort of "bad as s", that's just not my way. I have nothing to prove. Anyone that has a discussion with me on the subjects that I teach will know whether I know what I'm talking about or not. I don't need someone to try and "pimp" out my class if it means going against those things I believe (which includes disrespecting others in the school's family, the students, and fellow instructors I care about). I also really don't ever need money so bad that I would want the kind of business that would come from someone reading this post and thinking "cool!". The tough guy mentality, to me, hides insecurities that need immediate attention. I'm not a shrink, so that mentality will need to seek help elsewhere.
    In point of fact, to any who read the original post "review" of my class and like it...I am not the instructor for you. I do know of and have some affiliation with gyms that cater to this mentality (no disrespect intended to them), and would be happy to refer them to you. But be very clear: that is not my way. If however you wish to come and learn my perspective on muay Thai, Kung Fu San Soo, and some other styles of martial arts. If you wish to come and be part of an amazing group of people. Than I welcome you.
    To the op: I'm not mad at you. Things like this post don't really get to me. As I said I believe it was a crap attempt at trying to do good. I hope you can now see how far from that it ended up being (which is the whole reason I felt the need to respond). I would prevail on your bravery and honor to admit your mistake and even come forward, but I have a feeling by your writing that that is too much to ask. So instead, some advice: in the future you might refrain from trying to mask insecurities with false bravado when attempting to give what one can assume is supposed to be a good review. It makes you seem petty and some variation of a know it all (which I'm sure wasn't your intention lol). If however you wanted to disparage people from coming to someplace, you might want to do a better job of that too. Whatever your intentions, you might just try and be clearer.

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 6:04am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm interested to read the OP's response to that. Maybe he should drop anonymity to make sure you are both on the same page.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 6:25am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    I'm interested to read the OP's response to that. Maybe he should drop anonymity to make sure you are both on the same page.
    He was the new guy in a class of 6. I don't think anonymity is an option
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 6:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He could have attended a few months back and just got around to writing a review, i'd hate for some poor noob to cop a beating for a review he didn't write.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 6:43am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    He could have attended a few months back and just got around to writing a review, i'd hate for some poor noob to cop a beating for a review he didn't write.
    No worries guys, no one's beating anyone (remember I'm not that kinda person, so I certainly wouldn't condone it in my students or fellow instructors). I would like to see his response and yeah, since the classes are small, being anonymous isn't going to happen. It's also the reason people are so upset. Everyone has seemed respectful, considerate, and nice. makes no sense to me why someone would write something like this, this way. There's a big sense of betrayal felt by almost all who read it. And from reading Toofless' other posts, he may be a newb to my place, but he's no newb to martial arts. Which makes this post even more bothersome. In all his supposed time training, he never learned the most basic principle: respect? Hard for me to fathom.

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 7:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you point out the errors in the review giving your perspective on where the OP was wrong? Apart from the initial comment on your website (which is aimed at your gym's marketing methods) it actually passes for a pretty dam good rating on this site. The few things i would pick as being untrue would be where he stated you allow students to spar with elbows and how you sparred him.

What i picked out from the original post:
    You have a small class: good and bad
    You spar hard and often: very good
    You take the time to explain things: good
    You have a separate conditioning class: great
    You don't have lots of training gear: product of having a small class

After re-reading the review i don't think any disrespect was intended, that is just the culture of this website. Have a read around and you'll quickly see what i mean.
    Kenny Weldon

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 8:13am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I held of saying anything but I would like to agree with Sang and state that I didn't quite understand what you disliked so much about the OP's review.

After reading it, I thought you sounded like a decent, hard working and nice guy who is also a good teacher and skillful Martial Artist. What bothered you about it?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    1/21/2010 3:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In reply to both Sang and Asriel:
    I appreciate what you guys have said. I am unfamiliar with this site (as I said), so I wouldn't know whether or not this post is considered good on here. I didn't just come to this conclusion that the op was being disrespectful on my own. On Mon night when I came in to teach, the head of the school showed me a copy of this post. She was LIVID, pissed off is too mellow of a term. At the time I remember thinking that the person seemed like they were trying to give us a positive review, but just didn't do it right. I emailed more than a few past students, instructors at others schools, and friends (as well as some folk from another forum) the post to get their perspective and opinions on it. Overwhelmingly the response was negative. The most positive thing felt was similar to what I thought on first seeing it. Something brought to my attention, was that this post came up in the top 5 when searched on Google. A main part of this school is the karate program for children. If you were a parent, unfamiliar with this forum/site, and you read this, would you bring your kid here? Be honest, because I know I wouldn't.
    To add fuel to the fire, last night ( before I came on here) the head of the school even accused me of being the person who wrote this, THAT'S how crazy this post has made people. So, in my shoes, how would you feel? Regardless of the intent, this post has done damage, pure and simple. And the op needs to see that. I'll say it again (even with all that's happened) I'm not mad at him. I think I understand the intent.
    Again I appreciate that you might have gotten something positive from it, it's just that I haven't.
    I get it, it's just "teh intranet" and all that, which was the whole reason I wasn't bothered that much in the first place. I've had much much worse said about me. It's just that, contrary to popular belief, not everyone is trolling the web everyday being completely familiar with how most people act on here. Right or wrong some people are heavily affected by things like this. Any student of mine needs to understand this simple concept. Your actions have reactions (as you know, this is a fundamental martial concept). To avoid the bad one's and accentuate the best outcomes, we need to be more careful than maybe we would just tooling down the street oblivious. If this was some random cat talkin smack, I doubt the same reaction would be had, but for someone of this school to say hurtful things, even if it is to fit into the vibe of this site, doesn't sit well with more than a few people (students as well as instructors). That's what makes it bad.
    Last edited by JGP1; 1/21/2010 4:00pm at .
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast