Our Sponsors:

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172324252627 2829 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 5:19pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Yes, a couple of years at Windy City Gym and those same summers coaching the Chicago Park District boxing program (I was a Park District lifeguard during the summer, so subtract June through September for those two years).

Crab, cross-arm and the old peek-a-boo. You can use variants all day long, but there are three basic guards.
    Jab, hook, cross and uppercut. Again, you can vary them, use different combinations, but when it comes down to it, there are four basic punches.
    Go for it, make the effort; try to clearly define all variants of a simple (but effective) technique. You can't over-think this ****; some of the kids I worked with were at a fourth grade level in all academic subjects but could box their asses off. If I would have tried to force-feed them a bunch of complicated techniques or combos, they would have quit and played basketball.
    It is more complicated than Judo because there are more basic techniques. I only tried Judo for a few weeks, so I can't speak with any level of expertise. I've done krotty in one form or another for 32 years, so I know a little something about that.
    Except for the fundamentals (3 guards, 4 punches, and 5 defensive Movements).
    I have a great appreciation for boxing; if you thought I was putting the sport down, you misunderstood me.
    Only because they have to execute about twice as many techniques.
    There is much more to how the very few basic techniques are combined and the style an individual boxer adopts.
    So an overhand right is a cross? A shoulder block is what? I think you missed a few. Using your logic, kickboxing has kicks, a roundhouse and a straight with variations. Taking into account the complexity of "head movement" in boxing that you hardly see in kickboxing, they are just the same.
    Also, to be clear you think a kickboxer is actually thinking harder in a fight because he has more techniques"?

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 5:33pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120517

@ersatz blum: Now will you shut the **** up about boxing already.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    So an overhand right is a cross?
    Essentially, yes; it is a cross with the elbow in a little higher position.
    A shoulder block is what?
    A shoulder roll is deflection and absorption of an opponent's punch.
    I think you missed a few. Using your logic, kickboxing has kicks, a roundhouse and a straight with variations.
    Also, to be clear you think a kickboxer is actually thinking harder in a fight because he has more techniques"?
    I believe you are the one who said that; I didn't completely disagree. Kickboxing is like boxing with a few more techniques. Kickboxing is not superior to boxing UNLESS both boxers are at the same skill level and one uses his feet. You are trying to over-think **** way to much. Keep this at its simplest level.

Posted On:
    11/17/2013 3:44am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Essentially, yes; it is a cross with the elbow in a little higher position.
    A shoulder roll is deflection and absorption of an opponent's punch.

I believe you are the one who said that; I didn't completely disagree. Kickboxing is like boxing with a few more techniques. Kickboxing is not superior to boxing UNLESS both boxers are at the same skill level and one uses his feet. You are trying to over-think **** way to much. Keep this at its simplest level.
    http://www.boxingforum.com/training-...re-boxing.html
    I agree that you can limit it to 6 families of punches. But not 4. I do not agree about the 3 blocks, as i mentioned a shoulder roll is also a block you neglected. So is a one hand block etc.
    Also, because boxing isn't a traditional dogmatic MA, what ever works is a block, so you can add karate blocks etc. (if it woks for you).
    Kickboxing is not like boxing, because of the use of legs, the defensive offensive body position changes and decreases (less head movement, less bobbing and weaving etc. ). The fact is that we are limited with our responses, if you add more options, as kicks, it will come out of your boxing.
    I agree boxing is an effective MA, i also agree that in a short period of time you can teach someone to "have a clue". I also think that kickboxing, or judo can be just as easy to learn, and will provide similar results.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    11/17/2013 6:53am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree boxing is an effective MA, i also agree that in a short period of time you can teach someone to "have a clue". I also think that kickboxing, or judo can be just as easy to learn, and will provide similar results.
    Then aside from a few subtle differences in technique, we're not really too far apart after all. I merely trained under people who simplified things (which worked well for me).

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/17/2013 12:22pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoMA10 View Post
    People who are training Krav, TMA's and RBSD''s are doing it for recreation ,fitness, and to be able to deal with an idiot on the street.
    No, I'm not going to let you get away with lumping Krav Maga in with TMA. Most TMAs are much better for teaching people to defend themselves than Krav. At least your neighborhood karate school will teach you how to throw a punch. Krav, on the other hand is about feeling badass while avoiding learning any proper fighting fundamentals.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 11:17am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://kravmagaottawa.com/

Lessons learned:

All violent street criminals can be fooled by a bit of C-level acting before an attack.

Thugs with weapons have wrists made of noodles. No criminal can maintain grip on a knife or pistol. The can't even squeeze the trigger in a reflexive response to pain stimulus.

A single punch will so incapacitate an attacker that he will be unable to do anything but stare at the ground while you rain blows down upon him.

Bad Guys (HP 10) only have one attack per round, while Player Character (HP 100) has 7-8 attacks per round, 79% chance of Critical Hit.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 11:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet View Post
    http://kravmagaottawa.com/

Lessons learned:

All violent street criminals can be fooled by a bit of C-level acting before an attack.

Thugs with weapons have wrists made of noodles. No criminal can maintain grip on a knife or pistol. The can't even squeeze the trigger in a reflexive response to pain stimulus.

A single punch will so incapacitate an attacker that he will be unable to do anything but stare at the ground while you rain blows down upon him.

Bad Guys (HP 10) only have one attack per round, while Player Character (HP 100) has 7-8 attacks per round, 79% chance of Critical Hit.

I don't see any of this stuff on their website. Am I missing something? Or are you saying you visited this school and those are the types of things they're teaching?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 11:41am

Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I don't see any of this stuff on their website. Am I missing something? Or are you saying you visited this school and those are the types of things they're teaching?
    I think he's getting those conclusions from their shitty promo, and I think he's pretty much spot on.

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 11:41am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I suspect he's doing a review of the first video on this page: http://kravmagaottawa.com/kravMagaVideos.html