Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162223242526 27282930 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 7:29am

Style: JJJ/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    What is so simple in boxing again? I'm missing something...
    You miss lots of things.

Simple doesn't mean easy or ineffective.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 7:39am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3 Guards, 4 Punches, and 5 Defensive Movements = a lot less fundamentals to learn. Putting them together is the key to being a good boxer, but boxing is simple in principle.

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 9:10am

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read the above posts.

Also, to be clear I'm not equating 'simple' to 'easy'.
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 9:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    A big part of "fighting" is to know what it feels like to get hit/thrown/pinned/etc., and learn to deal with adrenaline. Without the contact (and boxing gives PLENTY as a matter of course), all the deadly crap isn't much good if you give up when you get popped in the nose.
    Totally! It's why I can never buy into RBSD for actual self defence over combat sports. Theory and scenarios and simulated groin stabs mean nothing if you can't take the adrenaline spike and pain of being actually punched or grappled with intent to damage you.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 10:20am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    3 Guards, 4 Punches, and 5 Defensive Movements = a lot less fundamentals to learn. Putting them together is the key to being a good boxer, but boxing is simple in principle.
    Have you boxed? because this is bullshit. You want to tell me there are 3 guards? thats it? 4 punches??? no no. I am not going to make an effort telling you how many jabs you have in boxing, but with this logic than you count the technique names you know of, and you can quantify by how much karate is more complicated than judo.
    There is nothing simple in boxing. The moment you limit a fight to certain rules is the moment people start innovating and building complicated techniques to win. The fact you can't appreciate many of the fineness elements does not make it simple. When two kickboxers fight they don't work their brains harder than two boxers.
    I would argue that because a boxer is more limited his brain is actually working harder to come up with ways to win. There is much more to just punch or block, and that is an integrative part of the boxing technique.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you boxed?
    Yes, a couple of years at Windy City Gym and those same summers coaching the Chicago Park District boxing program (I was a Park District lifeguard during the summer, so subtract June through September for those two years).
    You want to tell me there are 3 guards? thats it?
    Crab, cross-arm and the old peek-a-boo. You can use variants all day long, but there are three basic guards.
    4 punches???
    Jab, hook, cross and uppercut. Again, you can vary them, use different combinations, but when it comes down to it, there are four basic punches.
    I am not going to make an effort telling you how many jabs you have in boxing
    Go for it, make the effort; try to clearly define all variants of a simple (but effective) technique. You can't over-think this ****; some of the kids I worked with were at a fourth grade level in all academic subjects but could box their asses off. If I would have tried to force-feed them a bunch of complicated techniques or combos, they would have quit and played basketball.
    karate is more complicated than judo.
    It is more complicated than Judo because there are more basic techniques. I only tried Judo for a few weeks, so I can't speak with any level of expertise. I've done krotty in one form or another for 32 years, so I know a little something about that.
    There is nothing simple in boxing
    Except for the fundamentals (3 guards, 4 punches, and 5 defensive Movements).
    The fact you can't appreciate many of the fineness elements does not make it simple.
    I have a great appreciation for boxing; if you thought I was putting the sport down, you misunderstood me.
    When two kickboxers fight they don't work their brains harder than two boxers.
    Only because they have to execute about twice as many techniques.
    There is much more to just punch or block, and that is an integrative part of the boxing technique.
    There is much more to how the very few basic techniques are combined and the style an individual boxer adopts.

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 1:53pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you boxed? because this is bullshit. You want to tell me there are 3 guards? thats it? 4 punches??? no no. I am not going to make an effort telling you how many jabs you have in boxing, but with this logic than you count the technique names you know of, and you can quantify by how much karate is more complicated than judo.
    There is nothing simple in boxing. The moment you limit a fight to certain rules is the moment people start innovating and building complicated techniques to win. The fact you can't appreciate many of the fineness elements does not make it simple. When two kickboxers fight they don't work their brains harder than two boxers.
    I would argue that because a boxer is more limited his brain is actually working harder to come up with ways to win. There is much more to just punch or block, and that is an integrative part of the boxing technique.
    Chill out. No ones knocking boxing for its simplicity, it's being praised for its simplicity. If you want to learn to fight quickly and efficiently Boxing is hard to beat as opposed to Km which tends to be convoluted.

Mrs Kovacs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 2:04pm

Style: Shidokan/Kajukenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ It is Fake- I was alluding t the fact that these are low percentage techs,that you rarely see
    in a MMA tournament, thus they are not trained frequently at a MMA school, like the high percentage techs ( jab, cross). Yes these attacks might start out similar,but getting timing down and the amount of force is really hard since you cant train it live,which it makes it a low percentage techs,and if you dont train it all, than you really dont have the tech at all

@ Devil I said that they feel in gaps that are not frequently trained in combat sports.
    I already said in my first post that Krav students with only Krav training will lose a fight to
    someone who is trained in a combat sport like wrestling.. Nobody has all the gaps trained,but it is best to be prepared for as many scenarios as possible. People who are training Krav, TMA's and RBSD''s are
    doing it for recreation ,fitness, and to be able to deal with an idiot on the street. They dont need to be sufficiently trained to compete in a tournament its waste of time.

@BKR My point is that Judo has a variety of throws,but you only see a handful of those throws frequently in competition,because it is difficult to use a lot of Judo throws on trained opponents, versus untrained opponents who over committ and thus unevenly distribute their weight when they strike,leave themselves open for a lot of techniques that would be hard to do against someone who is trained.

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 2:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    Read the above posts.

Also, to be clear I'm not equating 'simple' to 'easy'.
    This clarification has been made countless times on Bullshido. I'm shocked...shocked...that it has escaped erzebub.

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 5:14pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    This clarification has been made countless times on Bullshido. I'm shocked...shocked...that it has escaped erzebub.
    You are old, and you have a kids job with no chair, nor a desk.
    And you are French, and an immigrant. I.R.M.C