Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 121819202122 23242526 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 9:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    I think most people even when resisting arrest will hesitate throwing hard punches and kicks, they will wrestle though. People punching cops tend to get injured and jailed longer and harder than those that struggle to get free.
    An idiot who's intoxicated/angry enough to resist/fight legitimate use-of-force will not be carefully calculating legal advantages/disadvantages of this tactic versus that tactic.

They will do whatever opportunity allows them because they are not in long-term-consequences thinking mode (they're not really in any sort of thinking mode when things have gone that far). They want to **** up the person(s) restraining them, in any way possible, and then get away.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 9:20pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    They want to **** up the person(s) restraining them, in any way possible, and then get away.
    This is the way it always seems to me. No method to their madness, only mad and ness.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 1:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So, Iím checking out a KM school.

After reading this and other threads on KM on this website, I came away with these general opinions: (1) Some KM schools are more or less ok, some not, depending on the instructor and what is taught, (2) they are good to the extent that there is live training, bad to the extent they spend time on compliant uke SD drills, (3) KM is long on conditioning and aggression, shorter on teaching good technique.

Iíve been getting a little bored with my current karate school, due to the lack of live sparring, and I miss rolling once in a while. But, I donít want to join one of the regular MMA/MuyThai/BJJ schools in my area, because theyíre expensive, expect long term contracts, and in some cases youíre also expected to join a personality cult. Plus, Iím too damn old at this point in my life to box full contact. Iím in it for the conditioning and to have a good time, and I need to be able to go to work the next day.

So, this KM school sounds like my ticket. I was told they have light boxing sparring, and harder contact is allowed for those who want it. They have regular BJJ classes, with live sparring. I observed one of their Level 1 classes, and the conditioning aspect of the class seemed more than adequate. I donít expect to learn new technique, but I do at least expect to practice what I already know. They are reasonably priced, and donít insist on a long-term contract. They don't require camo magic pants, or a black ski mask and pajamas.

Iíll identify the school and post a review after Iíve had a chance to attend for a while, as I donít think its fair or useful to write a review otherwise.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 1:28pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    I donít want to join one of the regular MMA/MuyThai/BJJ schools in my area, because theyíre expensive, expect long term contracts, and in some cases youíre also expected to join a personality cult.
    Doesn't matter to me if you don't want to train MMA, Muay Thai, BJJ, etc... But if you think you're avoiding a personality cult by choosing Krav Yessa! (TM) over one of those others you're sorely mistaken.

You're avoiding the meatheads on the playground by sneaking off behind the dugout with the perverted janitor.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 1:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Doesn't matter to me if you don't want to train MMA, Muay Thai, BJJ, etc... But if you think you're avoiding a personality cult by choosing Krav Yessa! (TM) over one of those others you're sorely mistaken.

You're avoiding the meatheads on the playground by sneaking off behind the dugout with the perverted janitor.
    I have no illusions about this. I'd love to train real MMA, but since I can't turn back the clock I have to go with MMA Lite. Worst comes to worst, I can concentrate on the BJJ class.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 2:12pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no illusions about this. I'd love to train real MMA, but since I can't turn back the clock I have to go with MMA Lite. Worst comes to worst, I can concentrate on the BJJ class.
    I'm not criticizing your choice even though I'd rather be seen at a gay bar than a Krav Maga school. The likelihood of experiencing male hands on my nuts is much higher at Kravs R Us than at The Cockpit Nightclub.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 3:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I'm not criticizing your choice even though I'd rather be seen at a gay bar than a Krav Maga school. The likelihood of experiencing male hands on my nuts is much higher at Kravs R Us than at The Cockpit Nightclub.
    I definitely plan to wear a cup.

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 3:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I definitely plan to wear a cup.
    Good thinking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 5:27pm

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    You don't think being an arresting officer is different when you interact with people (as in struggle with them) than if you where just a civilian?
    I think most people even when resisting arrest will hesitate throwing hard punches and kicks, they will wrestle though. People punching cops tend to get injured and jailed longer and harder than those that struggle.
    Well said Erez
    On a couple of occasions police have tried to infringe on my rights resulting in a struggle. Never hit them though.
    Friends of mine have been charged with assaulting a cop but onlya couple of them really let em have it.

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 9:07pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After reading this and other threads on KM on this website, I came away with these general opinions: (1) Some KM schools are more or less ok, some not, depending on the instructor and what is taught, (2) they are good to the extent that there is live training, bad to the extent they spend time on compliant uke SD drills, (3) KM is long on conditioning and aggression, shorter on teaching good technique.

Iíve been getting a little bored with my current karate school, due to the lack of live sparring, and I miss rolling once in a while. But, I donít want to join one of the regular MMA/MuyThai/BJJ schools in my area, because theyíre expensive, expect long term contracts, and in some cases youíre also expected to join a personality cult. Plus, Iím too damn old at this point in my life to box full contact. Iím in it for the conditioning and to have a good time, and I need to be able to go to work the next day.

So, this KM school sounds like my ticket. I was told they have light boxing sparring, and harder contact is allowed for those who want it. They have regular BJJ classes, with live sparring. I observed one of their Level 1 classes, and the conditioning aspect of the class seemed more than adequate. I donít expect to learn new technique, but I do at least expect to practice what I already know. They are reasonably priced, and donít insist on a long-term contract. They don't require camo magic pants, or a black ski mask and pajamas.

Iíll identify the school and post a review after Iíve had a chance to attend for a while, as I donít think its fair or useful to write a review otherwise.
    Consider switching your focus to weapons! Check out an FMA school, most of your previous training will be useful in FMA. Few non FMA people realize how versatile FMA is and how much empty hand comes into play. FMA is the evil twin of Krav, it addresses similiar topics, combatives, mult attackers, obviously weapons, but imo there is more technique involved and more to be learned.

I look at Krav as martial arts lite, it's probably not too bad for someone who wants to train for a short period of time and have some basic options for self defense, but why the hell would you want to learn just enough to suck at every facet of martial arts? At least specialize in something and be mediocre at everything else, at least!

I think I know some FMA guys in the VA area if you're interested.
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 121819202122 23242526 ... LastLast