My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/02/2013 1:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Here is some more Krav Magaga...complete with bleeding nose, gratuitous pokey nipple shots, and lots of fake attacks.
    I'm having problems getting video links to show up. Dammit! Cockpit error I'm sure...

Last edited by BKR; 10/02/2013 1:32pm at . Reason: damned video linking
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    10/02/2013 1:49pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm having problems getting video links to show up. Dammit! Cockpit error I'm sure...

Nothing sucks like success...

headgear and mma gloves along with real force/speed attacks would be useful...I know the utility going slower for beginners, not full force, and all that, but, at some point she (or anybody) needs to have someone grab/punch etc. for real in set piece drills, then, some sort of randori/free sparring where the attack will be unknown.

Progressive drilling works...

Posted On:
    10/02/2013 11:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing sucks like success...

headgear and mma gloves along with real force/speed attacks would be useful...I know the utility going slower for beginners, not full force, and all that, but, at some point she (or anybody) needs to have someone grab/punch etc. for real in set piece drills, then, some sort of randori/free sparring where the attack will be unknown.

Progressive drilling works...
    Tests are hard though. If you want to show you know a technique in a grading there is an element of dead drilling. this means you partner is generally obliged to not resist too much.

so it falls almost into a different category. You could combine dead drilling with live drilling. Have the instructor put down the clip board and do some resisted drills as well.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    10/03/2013 3:35am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Do you guys want to see THE REAL KRAV? Good, I'm going to show it to you. Here it is.

http://trianglekravmaga.com/about/

So, let's see...We have a guy who isn't a fighter but is an expert on fighting. No military or law enforcement background but he's an expert on firearms for self defense. But his name is Molotov so he must be really tough. Stay dangerous, Pony Boy. Stay dangerous.

Oh wait, they've got the real grappling too. They've got a guy who can teach you some Shingitai Jujitsu for real ground grappling that you can't get from say BJJ or MMA where the pussies can tap out.

So we've got Mr. Molotov, his wife Patricia and a bunch of his buddies who also have no real qualifications whatsoever other than what they've learned in their little circle of nut kickers. But they make really serious faces while they train so I'm sure they're badass.

Welcome to the real Krav. There are a million more wannabe tough guys just like these. I can post them all day long with ease while you're scrambling to come up with one fucking video of good Krav Maga.
    Krav Maga (“close combat” in Hebrew) hmmm....nope that is incorrect. Literally it means "touch combat" as in a repertoire of a soldier's training, one of the aspects of fighting should be "hand to hand" as you say vs. fire arm distance.
    I've posted sparring sessions of KM with head gear and MMA gloves. That was not enough for you, you dismissed it as kickboxing. Well, good KM here is basically MMA (not UFC stile) (kickboxing with some grappling) plus some JJ techniques against weapons and strong holds etc. The best KM places here are co-owned with either a MT place or MMA now that it is so popular. Those techniques against chokes and **** are supplements for a fighting technique. If you just drill them all the time, well this isn't Krav Maga. Where is the fucking KRAV (FIGHT)? Some of the techniques to free your arm from a hold or yourself from a choke are good, they work. They are also not KM in origin and no one claims KM is a method on its own, but rather a collection of **** designed to make a soldier a bit better at hand to hand combat. What some gyms all over the world and also here are doing to it is basically capitalism.
    My 4.5 years of KM were basically Kick Boxing, a lot of break falling and rolling like in Aikido, and some of those drills against bear hugs, chokes, knife and stick defense etc. Every class ended with sparring, sometimes with weird rules like two against one, always fucking hard (head gear shin pads the works).
    The only reason I regret not taking judo back than is that in judo I would last longer and probably not quit when I got to high school. It was in fact sometimes too brutal for me, I was upgraded to the grownup class, and I got my ass kicked too hard too often for my taste. Years before I stopped having bully problems, so I was thinking "why da **** am I still doing this to my self" the fitness was hard as hell also, I preferred to hang with friends and smoke cigarettes like a big boy instead.
    I feel like this thread is doing a big injustice to my trainer back then, and to the quality of his training. But I can definitely see why. if they took the sparring out of boxing, and just did bag work and focus mitts, it would turn into a popular bullshit quick enough too.
    tl;dr
    I have shown you a KM place that spars regularly, showed you great weapon and knife techniques that are the bread and butter of Krav Maga. What do you want more? Someone head butting and ball grabbing on the street? And making it work?
    What do you train btw?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/03/2013 4:18pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Krav Maga (“close combat” in Hebrew) hmmm....nope that is incorrect. Literally it means "touch combat" as in a repertoire of a soldier's training, one of the aspects of fighting should be "hand to hand" as you say vs. fire arm distance.
    So, how is "close combat" incorrect then?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2013 8:08pm

Style: Judo-Brown

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because I've always been told it means "contact combat" as in impact, not proximity.

And I can't believe this thread is this long. Erezb said it best, If a Krav Maga school has a good sparring/grappling class then it is probably good. If not it is probably bad.

Posted On:
    10/04/2013 10:49am

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!

noob uke problem

Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Tests are hard though. If you want to show you know a technique in a grading there is an element of dead drilling. this means you partner is generally obliged to not resist too much.

so it falls almost into a different category. You could combine dead drilling with live drilling. Have the instructor put down the clip board and do some resisted drills as well.
    Yes, grading (testing) is a demonstration of being able to do the technique "technically" correctly, that you understand principles, etc.

Judo, BJJ, et al. have competition aspect to show the success in the "fully resistant" situation.

The problem I have with what I saw in the video (and it wasn't all bad...the woman is obviously fit and combative within the limitations of the video, is that I'm not sure she is training against being even simply grabbed by someone who doesn't intend to stop...let along punched full on in the face or body (that **** hurts ! I hate it!).

I know for a fact that when a stronger SOB grabs you and doesn't want to let go, getting away is a VERY difficult...and I"m a 3rd degree black belt in Judo !

I didn't really see any of that in the video I posted.

I guess I"m having hard time describing something less obvious...intent. The uke has to be able to project intent to harm/control/ and act on that, but be able to stop if necessary. So the problem may also be one of skilled training partners as well.

***edit***
    I think a lot of what we see in these videos of Krav Maga training, the sparring as well, could be suffering the fact that at times it's two (or more) noobs just whaling on each other. Noobs that probably have no or little combative experience, so the attacks are pulled, weak, technically bad (which is good to work against as well, not everyone is a golden gloves boxer level).

But most of all, as Ezrb hinted at, is that these are noobs who are paying money to learn to fight/defend themselves. And they are being catered to (to be clear, I'm not saying ALL Krav schools are doing that) with profit in mind. If they dont' feel they are getting their money's worth, well, it's out the door.

We deal with that at our judo club. Many parents expect Little Joanie to automatically get the next "belt" regardless...kind of a social promotion. Well, I just don't do it that way. And people get pissed because the apple of their eye doesn't get that orange belt, and bitch, then leave.
    Last edited by BKR; 10/04/2013 11:15am at . Reason: Additional thoughts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2013 12:48pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We all know you absolutely NEED resistance training. But any self defense technique (being grabbed in a headlock, or front hand choke) has to be trained with some compliance by the nature of the defense (i'm not going to really kick my partner in the groin). If the instructor doesn't then add all manner of resistance training (stand up sparring, take down sparring, grappling) the student never learns what to do when the technique breaks down.

I always teach my (km) students that when training escapes we want to build a never quit attitude, but not a false sense of reality. We incorporate tapping out whenever possible to allow an attacker to go hard without fear of injuring their partner, but some self defense techniques simply cannot be trained that way.

You could say it's my BJJ and Judo background that makes my KM good. I would disagree. It was my KM training that encouraged me to cross train in combat sports to further my understanding of how to deal with conflict when **** breaks down. You will find basic submissions in almost ANY KM curriculum. Whether or not the instructor has taken the time to learn the nuance of how to set them up is different story. But I pray it is always encouraged. I have students that haven't taken a single BJJ class in their life (much to my chagrin) but have rolled enough to earn a blue belt (or higher) in any BJJ school.

KM's logo (usually) says,"Self defense and fighting." If a school stops at the self defense part and doesn't add the fighting, don't train there.

Posted On:
    10/04/2013 2:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomTriangle View Post
    We all know you absolutely NEED resistance training. But any self defense technique (being grabbed in a headlock, or front hand choke) has to be trained with some compliance by the nature of the defense (i'm not going to really kick my partner in the groin). If the instructor doesn't then add all manner of resistance training (stand up sparring, take down sparring, grappling) the student never learns what to do when the technique breaks down.

I always teach my (km) students that when training escapes we want to build a never quit attitude, but not a false sense of reality. We incorporate tapping out whenever possible to allow an attacker to go hard without fear of injuring their partner, but some self defense techniques simply cannot be trained that way.

You could say it's my BJJ and Judo background that makes my KM good. I would disagree. It was my KM training that encouraged me to cross train in combat sports to further my understanding of how to deal with conflict when **** breaks down. You will find basic submissions in almost ANY KM curriculum. Whether or not the instructor has taken the time to learn the nuance of how to set them up is different story. But I pray it is always encouraged. I have students that haven't taken a single BJJ class in their life (much to my chagrin) but have rolled enough to earn a blue belt (or higher) in any BJJ school.

KM's logo (usually) says,"Self defense and fighting." If a school stops at the self defense part and doesn't add the fighting, don't train there.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm interested to continue conversing with you. However, I'm done with work for the day...time to go fishing with the kids!

One comment, no way someone who has never done BJJ or any other form of grappling other than what Iv'e seen of Krav Maga would earn a blue belt in BJJ...sorry, I just don't' see that happening.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2013 9:38pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well that's not really fair because the people who enjoy the ground work the most often end up wanting to cross train. I personally started in KM before I trained BJJ. I enjoyed the grappling/ground work we did. The instructor was a 2nd brown in Judo, kickboxer, and into heavy contact sparring before teaching Krav Maga. When the school I was training at hired a BJJ instructor I jumped at the chance and never looked back. I also never stopped training Krav Maga. My Krav Maga instructor encouraged everyone to cross train.

Now I am a Krav Maga instructor. And in all fairness, you are right, my Krav Maga students that I consider blue belt level do SOME BJJ. But that's because I encourage it.

Do you feel that me encouraging students to cross train detracts from Krav Maga's effectiveness?