Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/28/2009 11:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Krav maga even useful?

I have found that when approached some people say its the best in combat situations and other say its all hype.
    I am deciding whether or not to train in it, but i would like to hear some opinions on it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2009 3:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look toward the upper right hand corner of your screen. Click "Search". The wisdom you seek is contained within, Grasshopper. If necessary, repeat process at other sites.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2009 2:04pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ/Panantukan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What he said...

But in my personal opinion, Krav Maga is full of hype, and only really became explosively popular thanks to J-Lo (in her movie "Enough") and the Hollywood crowd in the 90s. In LA, lay people simply assume any "brutal" martial arts display is Krav Maga (I've read articles and heard people falsely describe what they see in UFC as Krav, and everyone assumes the Bourne movies feature Krav, when it's stated explicitly that it is Kali and JKD). It's more of a brand than anything, and the marketing for it has been nothing short of brilliant. You'll likely get a good workout, hopefully learn how to throw decent punches and kicks, but for the price you'd pay, you are better off looking at a standard MA that is regularly tested in a competitive arena.

But Krav isn't the only culprit. More and more, I am convinced that all "street" martial arts suffer from serious amount of bullshit. I'm a Progressive Fighting Systems Jeet Kune Do Concepts guy, part of Paul Vunak's branch of street MA. I've found that the quality of instruction, the reliability of instructors, the politics, the marketing, the transparency and honesty of the organization-- all of it can be called into question. Lastly, the type of people that the street martial arts tend to target are, perhaps, insecure, or want an "easy" way to win a fight, they tend to go looking for fights. This isn't true for all prospective students, but the general atmosphere in these schools is cynical, at best. I can't tell you how many times I've heard RBSD instructors bring up the rape of a loved one or the recent release of criminals as justification (a scare tactic, rather) for attending their schools. You don't need that kind of bullshit.

Frankly, you are better off learning boxing, wrestling, muay thai, judo, and BJJ, and taking a street-oriented martial seminar or class here or there if you're curious about how to defend against that ever-present threat of being attacked by a knife and gun-totting mob of ninja assassins. I started in sport, moved to street (and only because I wanted to learn Panantukan), and now I find myself eager to get back into a friendly, realistic, competitive environment that only a sport class can offer.

Good luck in your search.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2009 2:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    What he said...

But in my personal opinion, Krav Maga is full of hype, and only really became explosively popular thanks to J-Lo (in her movie "Enough") and the Hollywood crowd in the 90s. In LA, lay people simply assume any "brutal" martial arts display is Krav Maga (I've read articles and heard people falsely describe what they see in UFC as Krav, and everyone assumes the Bourne movies feature Krav, when it's stated explicitly that it is Kali and JKD). It's more of a brand than anything, and the marketing for it has been nothing short of brilliant. You'll likely get a good workout, hopefully learn how to throw decent punches and kicks, but for the price you'd pay, you are better off looking at a standard MA that is regularly tested in a competitive arena.

But Krav isn't the only culprit. More and more, I am convinced that all "street" martial arts suffer from serious amount of bullshit. I'm a Progressive Fighting Systems Jeet Kune Do Concepts guy, part of Paul Vunak's branch of street MA. I've found that the quality of instruction, the reliability of instructors, the politics, the marketing, the transparency and honesty of the organization-- all of it can be called into question. Lastly, the type of people that the street martial arts tend to target are, perhaps, insecure, or want an "easy" way to win a fight, they tend to go looking for fights. This isn't true for all prospective students, but the general atmosphere in these schools is cynical, at best. I can't tell you how many times I've heard RBSD instructors bring up the rape of a loved one or the recent release of criminals as justification (a scare tactic, rather) for attending their schools. You don't need that kind of bullshit.

Frankly, you are better off learning boxing, wrestling, muay thai, judo, and BJJ, and taking a street-oriented martial seminar or class here or there if you're curious about how to defend against that ever-present threat of being attacked by a knife and gun-totting mob of ninja assassins. I started in sport, moved to street (and only because I wanted to learn Panantukan), and now I find myself eager to get back into a friendly, realistic, competitive environment that only a sport class can offer.

Good luck in your search.

thank you for your assistance

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 8:46am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a bit off-topic for the WMA forum, but in general, I'd say KM is a decent, no-frills street defense system that has suffered a bit through over-hype.

Frankly, you are better off learning boxing, wrestling, muay thai, judo, and BJJ, and taking a street-oriented martial seminar or class here or there if you're curious about how to defend against that ever-present threat of being attacked by a knife and gun-totting mob of ninja assassins.
    That's solid advice. "Sport vs. street" is a total dead-horse cliche, partly because it assumes an either/or scenario. Combat sport training keeps you honest; "street" training offers scenarios that you won't find in competition. Do both, in whatever proportion best suits your needs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 2:12am

Style: -TKD--BJJ-

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took 6 months of KM (Im TKD guy) but I did learn to use my hands way better (jab,cross, hook) since TKD is mainly kicks... Its just a striped down version of many Martial Arts styles the Elbows/Knees/round house kick wehre from Muay Thai, the foot work reminded me of Boxing etc... WHAT I DID LOVE WAS THE SCENERIOS THEY PUT US IN LIKE THEY ATTACK YOU WITH THE LIGHTS OFF, OR A RADIO ON HIGH, OR MULTIPLE ATTACKERS WITH WEAPONS...ALSO WE HAD FULL CONTACT SPARING, WITH GEAR, AND NO RULES... I GOT KCIKED IN THE NUTS AND A BLOODY NOSE>>> I REALLY LOVED IT!!!!!!!!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 10:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmatter265 View Post
    I have found that when approached some people say its the best in combat situations and other say its all hype.
    I am deciding whether or not to train in it, but i would like to hear some opinions on it.
    Darkmatter,

The idea that styles really have iron clad "quality control" is fantasy.

Is "Krav Maga" any good? Who knows? Like every "style" I have ever encountered there are clowns and meat-heads, and high quality instructors. The specific people teaching you and working with you will determine the value or your training experience. Figure out your goals, know yourself and then see if the specific training environment you'll be working at will work for you.

So the folks who are telling you KM is "great" and those who are telling you it is "all hype" are most likely both correct :)

All the Best,

-Chris Amendola

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 10:20am

Style: -TKD--BJJ-

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I learned KM under a Former US Marine, Veteran of OP. Desert Shield he was tough and pushed us hard, he was very motivational and his assistants were just as tough... we spared pretty hard, but @ another KM school that I stopped by the said that "the students here dont think is necessary" WTF?
    I dont know...:deadhorse

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 10:29am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like others have stated, the quality of Krav Maga seems to vary from location to location. However, a few years ago when the local MMA scene was getting started where I live, a Krav fighter won three or four MMA matches. If the place you are considering free spars on a regular basis, then they probably don't suck. If they do nothing but practice drills, then they probably do suck.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 12:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: no-gi Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you do find a good Krav Maga school, then the only bit of advice I can give you is bring a cup!
Page 1 of 29 1 234511 ... LastLast