Thread: K-1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

K-1

I'm just getting into K-1 and have been watching some old DVDs and am loving it (for what it is). Are there any significant rules differences between K-1 and straight up Muay Thai or kickboxing?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    k-1= strikes anywhere except groin, no elbows, limited clinch game (in fact now its at the point where there is no knees in the clinch at all, afaik)

kickboxing= depends on where you are, in europe its similar to K-1 rules, in american kickboxing theres no clinch at all and no leg kicks, in australasia its generally muay thai rules with no elbows.

muay thai= strikes anywhere except groin, elbows, unlimited knees/elbows in the clinch.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by edtang View Post
    I'm just getting into K-1 and have been watching some old DVDs and am loving it (for what it is). Are there any significant rules differences between K-1 and straight up Muay Thai or kickboxing?
    Essentially no clinch knees and no elbows.
    安氏八极拳学生

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In K-1 were knee's not allowed to the head at one point?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah they were, until buakaw and schilt showed up and started beating the **** out of everyone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought you were still allowed one knee with hands clasped (eg. Overeem in the last K-1, where he kneed Texiera, grabbed his head, kneed him again, then let go, with no penalty).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, the somewhat neutered clinch game. I knew something generally missing from the fights but I couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks all.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    yeah they were, until buakaw and schilt showed up and started beating the **** out of everyone
    I refuse to watch K-1 anymore after Bojansky won via TBO (technical bitch out) and Masato was literally GIVEN hit belt in 08.